Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Evening/morning/afternoon everyone.
I have a Thermaltake Xaser III and it weighs almost as much as a small desk. I've decided I want a new case, but one that looks clean and professional like a Silverstone TJ-03 or the Lian-Li 6077 series. I don't want some flimsy plastic door especially. Basically, something that will last me for a while, until BTX comes along and I'm forced to upgrade. I also need to take it to lan-parties, not lug it to them. I haven't been able to find one, so I'm guessing some of you may. No real price limit either, like, around 350 is my limit.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Edit: 18 pounds instead of 20.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I have a Lian Li PC-60plus... very light aircraft aluminum quality case... great ventilation with well designed removable mobo tray and a 5 HD removable cage...

wont argue, if ur price limit is 350 Lian Li PC 101 it.

sp6yd6er6

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Check out the Antec Super Lan Boycase, if you don't mind the gamer look, I know you're going for proffesional, but this case looks pretty sleek. And MAN, this case is LIGHT! :) it's like 12 lbs. with nothing in it!!!

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Thanks for all the suggestion, although I may have solved my own problem. I contacted Silverstone's marketing and product department with the following email:
"Does Silverstone have any plans to make a smaller TJ-03 Nimiz (the one that Falcon Northwest uses)? Myself and many of my friends have admired the TJ-03 for its craftsmanship and styling, but it's enourmous! Just like Thermaltake made a smaller version of the Armor case, will Silverstone ever make a smaller TJ-03 Nimiz case, especially one that's not as deep? I know I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Grinshpon"
And they sent me the following reply from the man in charge of marketing, apparently:
"Dear Sir,

I am in charge the Product and Marketing Dept. in SilverStone.

Thanks for you so support our products and suggestion.

I think this is a very good idea to release the middle tower case, I will think about this in the future product line."

A mid tower TJ-03? The current TJ-03 weighs 18 pounds, so a mid tower with no EATX support should be no more than 15 pounds! I'm not holding my breath, but hey, I know I would buy a mid-tower TJ-03.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Lian Li V1000B Plus.

Seperate bays for motherboard, hard drives, and power supply. 3 120mm fans. 6 Hard drive slots. Awesome looks. Only $210.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Get the Lian Li PC-60B plus II with or without the window. I got the windowed version of the case yesterday and my new system is almost finished. The case is absolutely gorgeous, like all Lian Li cases.

All thumbscrews except for motherboard and drives, black carbon fiber finish, lots of space for a mid tower. Very sturdy. If you're worried about scratches, don't be. I thought it would be a lot easier to scratch, but it's very durable with the annodized aluminum finish.

If you're paranoid about scratches, get some automotive protective clearcoat and put a couple coats on it. I don't think you'll need to worry, though, it seems pretty scratch resistant, although I've been treating it really carefully.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I have a Lian Li PC-60plus... very light aircraft aluminum quality case... great ventilation with well designed removable mobo tray and a 5 HD removable cage...

Rich, please dont take this the wrong way, I am not busting on you, but rather any company who advertises "aircraft grade" aluminum. Most any aluminum, which has been used in an airframe can be legally called "aircraft grade", however, this is exceptionally misleading as it leads the purchaser to believe they are getting structural, or load bearing, material. They are not. 7075 AL is structural grade aircraft aluminum, but what your case is made of is most likely 6061 T6, which has significantly lower tensile/compressive strength ratings, but is also much cheaper than 7075. While 6061 is used in aircraft, it is used in non load bearing components such as access panels, fairings, unloaded skin sections, non structural bulkeheads etc.

Not on topic, I know, but I hate when manufactureres use the aircraft grade claim to make their product sound better or more high tech than it is

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Once again, if u have th emoney get Lian Li, nothing matches a Lian Li

Yeah, I'm dieing for a Lian-Li, but neither on their website nor on Newegg do they have weight of any of their cases that you folks have suggested to me. I'm a little weary because I don't want to be suprised when it's heavier than I thought.