HEEEELP! Out of time, options and patience.. lol

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
I have an issue going on in the power supply area, but I dont think its PS related at this point anymore.

Here is the link.. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Antec-PS-issue-ftopict189284.html

The issue is I built a new game rig, and I can't get this darn thing to work right. I burnt out one HDD due to (what I thought) was a PS issue. Now i replaced the PS with an Antec one, and I still get HDD clicking. Not like it is accessing, but louder. Someone said it was due to power fluctuations, but I am wondering if this is now the motherboard after all this time.

I have only until June 31st to get a refund then I am stuck. Can someone please help me with this?

I have an issue going on in the power supply area, but I dont think its PS related at this point anymore.

Here is the link.. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Antec-PS-issue-ftopict189284.html

The issue is I built a new game rig, and I can't get this darn thing to work right. I burnt out one HDD due to (what I thought) was a PS issue. Now i replaced the PS with an Antec one, and I still get HDD clicking. Not like it is accessing, but louder. Someone said it was due to power fluctuations, but I am wondering if this is now the motherboard after all this time.

I have only until June 31st to get a refund then I am stuck. Can someone please help me with this?

I need more details, but the last time my hard drive was ticking noticeably, it fried shortly thereafter. Funny thing about it...I thought it was the CPU!

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
please list you system specs with old and new p.s. (sorry missed the link)

if you have another computer (or access to one) try the drive there and verify it is the drive. check your cable runs for contact with fans also as this can produce a similar clicking. if the hd is fine in another comp. move it back to your new rig and disconnect everything but the hd one stick of ram the cpu&fan and one video card. and see if the problem persists

Sithlord

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
here are the specs:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
2GB Corsair Low Latency RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7900GT 256
Dual WD SATA HDD NOT in RAID
Single DVD-RW with Lightscribe and floppy drive
Antec Tru-Power II 550W PS

Old specs the same, jsut with a 550W Rosewill Power supply

Now, I do have another PC, (the one I am using to type this), but it is IDE based not SATA so I have no way of checking. But this is the 2nd HDD I have placed on this MB/CPU combo. The 1st one fried after about 2 hours. This one I am keeping it from dying, but shutting the PC down ASAP after I hear the 1st click.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

I need more details, but the last time my hard drive was ticking noticeably, it fried shortly thereafter. Funny thing about it...I thought it was the CPU!

A clicking noise in a hard drive is the read/write heads hitting the platter. WHen the heads crash, the drive dies.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
you have dual hd's can you tell which one is making the noise?
it could have been a ps issue but there are alot of other things more likely to die before before the hd. strip your sytem down to the basics (1 stick of ram /one hd /video card/ processer and fans) and if the problem is still there swap hd and try again. if there was a ps problem bad eough to kill your hd in 2 hrs it probably damaged the mb or processor or ram as well. most catastophic hd failures in which clicking or grinding occur from physical damage but its not likely that two drives were dropped in a store or damaged during shipping(unless it was u.p.s. :) )