Karribu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Hello. Just built a new rig and It keeps shutting down.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
ASUS A8N Sli Premium motherboard
2 x gainward bliss Nvidia 7900 GTX PCX
2 gigs of DDR400 memory
X-power 700watt psu
2 x Maxtor SATA 200g drives
Thermaltake Shark chasis.

When I run games in single GPU mode its fine, SLi mode can be alright when i play counter strike source in 1024 x 768. If i mess with the anti aliasing ingame it shuts down. I play eve online and in sli mode it only lasts a few mins then shuts down. I play in 1080 x 1024.

Do you think it could be the cpu overheating and shutting down the system? I have an intake fan 12 cm, also a 12cm exaughtst fan. The chipset has a heatsink bar, and the cpu fan is one of those £3.50 jobs by the look of it.

I'll be taking parts out and in probalby tomorrow to make sure its not any other hardware, but it seems like it might be the cpu. Im not very knowlegable with cpu's and not sure what temp it should be running at. I use AI booster to see the temp and its running at 40 - 40 c when Idle and it's getting 1.41v

Any help would be great. Thanks.

It could be, but usually when the computer starts acting funky under a full load ONLY when it's in SLI mode suggests that your PSU is not up to the job. 700W should be, but I'd make sure that there are enough amps on the +12V rail.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
It could be, but usually when the computer starts acting funky under a full load ONLY when it's in SLI mode suggests that your PSU is not up to the job. 700W should be, but I'd make sure that there are enough amps on the +12V rail.

Agreed, I had a comp with a crappy PSU, and I added a HD and it would just shutdown. Changed the PSU to a better one and everything was fine.

I think MB manufacturers or whoever so have some protection from this, like shutting off the optical drive, etc and giving a warning instead just letting the PSU cut out.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Is it just shutting down, or are you getting a BSOD?

If it is just shutting down, it is most likely the PSU. I have never heard of this "X-Power", so I can't comment on general quality of the brand. Make sure you are getting stable voltage levels on your +12 volt rails, and plenty of amps (20 is a little low for your setup, should be closer to 30 IIRC). 700 watts is more than enough for your rig's needs, but if it can't pump out enough amps at stable voltage levels, it doesn't matter how many watts it can put out.

If you are getting a BSOD, try swapping the two 7900's and see if it crashes in single card mode, or just in SLI again. If it crashes in single card mode, then you probably have a bad card.

Karribu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Hi, thanks for reply's.

Ill be swapping the cards around tomorrow night when i get time (damn work :evil: )

I'm not getting the BSOD it just shuts down completely. Thats why I thought it was either the CPU overheating. I'm starting to agree and think its the PSU. I've looked on the net for the make and can't find it anywhere. I've ordered a better cpu fan. Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 Aero Flower (Socket AM2/939/754) CPU Cooler (it won't hurt to have a better fan :D )

I'm unsure how to test the 12V cable? Do i need to take it somewhere? If it is crappy, can anyone reccomend a really well known, relliable manufacturer?

And finally, ive stopped playing eve in sli mode because im scared the shutdowns will damage the cpu. Would it damage any components?

Thanks.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hi, thanks for reply's.

Ill be swapping the cards around tomorrow night when i get time (damn work :evil: )

I'm not getting the BSOD it just shuts down completely. Thats why I thought it was either the CPU overheating. I'm starting to agree and think its the PSU. I've looked on the net for the make and can't find it anywhere. I've ordered a better cpu fan. Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 Aero Flower (Socket AM2/939/754) CPU Cooler (it won't hurt to have a better fan :D )

I'm unsure how to test the 12V cable? Do i need to take it somewhere? If it is crappy, can anyone reccomend a really well known, relliable manufacturer?

And finally, ive stopped playing eve in sli mode because im scared the shutdowns will damage the cpu. Would it damage any components?

Thanks.

Also keep an eye on the temps, If they're OK, try disconnecting the 12cm fans (it won't hurt just for a test with the case covers off) and if it does not shut down then you definitely have to change your PSU.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
If it is shutting down completely, you don't need to switch the graphics cards.

To test the voltages on the 12 volt lines, get a program like SpeedFan (google it - its free). SpeedFan will give you the voltage levels of all of your rails that connect to the motherboard (which includes one of your +12V rails). I'm not sure how you would check the amps of your PSU without a cable mod.

yeason

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Most of what the other people have said sounds right for what to check. As far as a good manufacturer I've had a lot of luck with Antecs. I've only had one go out and from the start of the RMA to when I had a new one was less than a week. They are very reliable and as far as I know their tech support is great. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+50001516+1294718603&Subcategory=58&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=
The strongest one there is only 550W but I'd trust an Antec more than I'd trust an off-brand, even with the lower Wattage rating. If you look at the specs the total combined Amps on the 12V rail is 38 I think.

Good Luck

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hi, thanks for reply's.

Thanks.

Go with an Antec or Thermaltake PS sicne they are rated for SLI. never heardof x-Power but I'm sure that it's one of those "not enough continuous amperage" PS'

Karribu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Cheers guys. Ill prolly get a new PSU in a week or so. I'll let you know how it goes. I like the look of Antecs 600w SLI and i think thermal take do a 600W too. That should be enough to handle what i got right? Keep in mind i wanna put my SB live 2 in when it's settled down.

Also the temp of my cpu right now is 40. All im doing is downloading and writing this. That ok?

Alo the screen was flashing like it was losing power, might indicate the psu. And my mouse cursor keeps slowing down. Whats up with that? :evil:

And the windows are taking forever to close. Would that be a prob with psu too mabyey?

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Your sound card will not significantly impact the power draw of your system, so no worries there. Your temps should be fine, though it depends on what your ambient room temperature is and what you are using to cool the CPU. If your ambient room temp is 25-35 C and you are using the stock cooler, your CPU temp is fine. I wouldn't start to worry about the temp unless you start hitting 50-55 C, then you are approaching the danger zone. At 60-65, you need to do something about your CPU temps pronto.

Is your monitor itself losing power, or just the video signal? If your monitor is losing power, you may be over the capacity of the power lines in your house, which is possible if you live in an older building. If the efficiency of your power supply is poor, you could be pulling a kilowatt (or more) from your wall socket to power your computer (not including what your monitor is drawing). In that case, changing the power supply won't do much good by itself, you'd have to underpower your whole system (drop the SLI mainly).

As far as your mouse and other performance problems, I would say its likelly ralated to the PSU issues, but I can't be certain of that.