Vid or PSU probs (help appreciated)

jrm5084

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2005
Hey guys, heres my situation:

I just purchased an ATI Radeon X1800XT video card which recommends a 450 watt power supply. My computer only has a 420 watt power supply, but i didnt think it would be a problem because i had a 7800gt which recommended a 450W PSU and i had that running for months wihtout a problem. Anyway, my problem is recently in the middle of playing a game, my monitor signal would just give out , but i would still hear sound. After restarting, i noticed my resolution was real low and my ATI drivers had been uninstalled and my Vid Card wasnt being detected in the display properties. Anyway, it has happened twice, the other time it went out, everything was fine after the restart and i didn't have to reinstall the drivers. The other thing about my situation is, is that i had overclocked my video card with the ATI Catalyst control center's auto overclock option, and i'm not sure if thats what caused the problem or if the problem lies within my Power supply dying or being unstable. The last time this has happened to me was after a normal shutdown i came home from work and turned it on like normal and my drivers had been uninstalled again. So i guess my question is Does the problem lie within my Power supply being unstable or weak (how do i test for this) or is there a problem with my video card, and if it helps, the 2nd time it happened my video card had been downclocked to its default settings.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Becareful with power supply ratings, if your system requires say 450W you will need a PSU which handles 450W normally (not Max).

Some PSU manufactures advertise (at least show in big letters anyway) the Max W which is not what you want. for 450W it is best to get a PSU which handles around 450-490 and max at about 600W. These are not cheap (I've seen good ones at around $100).

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Why don't you try and take the overclocking off then see if it's stable. You could have two problems.... PSU underpowered or too much heat... what are your temps?

I think we typically see more problems during the summer months with ppl having reboot/crash/blue screen. Make sure you have good air flow in your case and keep track of your temps.

cleeve

Illustrious
There should be a system monitor in the BIOS.

First off, check it out and tell us the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v readings...

Could definitely be the PSU. Amperage is more important than wattage.