Please Help! CPU temp's too high!

drewbond07

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Hi everyone,

I am another who was convinced on the Pentium D 805. Put together my system last night and booted up today. I'm currently using the stock FHS (installed correctly) and the CPU is averaging 82-83 degrees CELCIUS with the max hitting 90. The sytem will boot up Win XP home no problem and I've done various installations such as Photoshop CS2 and the system doesn't crash, but I don't want to fry the processor.

The system is running at 2.68 Ghz (no overclocking), ASUS P5WD2 Premium MoBo, 1 GB ram (running at a cool 36 degrees), ATI X1300 PCI-E, Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W, Western Digital 250 GB SATA.

I'm 99% sure that everything is installed and working correctly... could it just be the processor? I know that it should be running between 30 and 64 degrees.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!
Drew

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
If possible, try running the MB out of the case on a cardboard box (something non-conductive, but not on an anti-static bag), but reinstall the HSF, with a fresh appllication of thermal compound.

That way you elminate/determine if the PC case that may have air flow problems, and have a better view to see if the HSF is properly seated on the CPU.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hi everyone,

I am another who was convinced on the Pentium D 805. Put together my system last night and booted up today. I'm currently using the stock FHS (installed correctly) and the CPU is averaging 82-83 degrees CELCIUS with the max hitting 90. The sytem will boot up Win XP home no problem and I've done various installations such as Photoshop CS2 and the system doesn't crash, but I don't want to fry the processor.

The system is running at 2.68 Ghz (no overclocking), ASUS P5WD2 Premium MoBo, 1 GB ram (running at a cool 36 degrees), ATI X1300 PCI-E, Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W, Western Digital 250 GB SATA.

I'm 99% sure that everything is installed and working correctly... could it just be the processor? I know that it should be running between 30 and 64 degrees.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!
Drew

Hello

it is way too hot. it is not normal. you should take care of the heat. otherwise your system will not be stable.

Bye.

pancito

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
is the CPU Cooler turning at all. if it's seated correctly it souldn't be at those temperatures.

I installed a P4 2.8 at 533 fsb i never checked the cpu fan that it wasn't turning i hit 107 f and the computer shut it self down.

can you touch your heatsink to see if it's that hot, you know what they say if it's to hot to touch then you have a problem.

drewbond07

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Thanks everyone for your tips.

I tried pulling the FHS off and reinstalling it, now I'm at 60. The FHS that comes with the processor is truely a POS.

BTW I actually ordered a Zalman 7700cu but when it came with the other components the fan blades scraped along the heatsink blades so I'm in the process of having them replace it for me.

Next time I'm just going to go to Frys instead of ordering online.

Thanks again,
Drew

weekendwarrior

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Don't forget to ensure good airflow through your case to keep hot air exhausting. I had a similar problem, though not nearly in that range, and the solution was simply adding some intake fans in the front and sealing up the air gaps in my PC. Once I got a good wind tunnel running through, it improved CPU, GPU and mainboard temps significantly. (Not to mention the drive stack, which was very hot to the touch.)