Problem driving me nuts!

BingBloke

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm takeing a look at a mates computer for him as its doing some strange stuff. He built it himself and like me I think he knows bits and bobs, but is no expert.

Basicall we have tryed about 3 - 4 different harddrives but the problem percists.. :x

When you turn the computer on it boots up to the black windows xp screen but then started to loop back to the start again.
Then it got worse and my mate ended up bying a new 80gb scsi drive.
He had problems installing xp onto that and thats where i got involved.
I have put a completely fresh format/install of XP pro on, which seemed to of installed fine.. BUT.. I installed a couple of normal progams e.g. nero, restarted the computer and got a blue screen error message and the would you believe it, started that stupid looping back to the start again!

Grrrr.. so frustrating!

I have just tried to re-install xp pro "again" and it stops after formatting and say's "Setup cannot copy the file: processr.sys"

What the heck is going on...

I think he's tried another motherboard, other harddrives..

What can it be :?: wrong type os harddrive.. Ram issue.. What?

Has anyone got any suggestions? PLEASE!

Cheers

Steve

Hi everyone,

I'm takeing a look at a mates computer for him as its doing some strange stuff. He built it himself and like me I think he knows bits and bobs, but is no expert.

Basicall we have tryed about 3 - 4 different harddrives but the problem percists.. :x

When you turn the computer on it boots up to the black windows xp screen but then started to loop back to the start again.
I have put a completely fresh format/install of XP pro on, which seemed to of installed fine.. BUT.. I installed a couple of normal progams e.g. nero, restarted the computer and got a blue screen error message and the would you believe it, started that stupid looping back to the start again!

Grrrr.. so frustrating!

I have just tried to re-install xp pro "again" and it stops after formatting and say's "Setup cannot copy the file: processr.sys"

Cheers

Steve

You may have hit it on the problem and not know it. I'd try taking the RAM out and then using just one stick and boot up. If no go, try another stick. You may have to get diffferent RAM from another computer and boot up. I have seen bad RAM cause non loading of software on an up and running OS before like you mentioned. Very trcky.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi everyone,

Grrrr.. so frustrating!

Cheers

Steve

You may have hit it on the problem and not know it. I'd try taking the RAM out and then using just one stick and boot up. If no go, try another stick. You may have to get diffferent RAM from another computer and boot up. I have seen bad RAM cause non loading of software on an up and running OS before like you mentioned. Very trcky.

I would agree with Badge and point at cheap/faulty RAM.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I agree, anything else would have jumped out at you or us in your break down. Try running a mem test in dos from any prog or even a fedora or any linux disk and do a burn in test. If you get errors then you'll know for sure. Try it one at a time and let it go for a few hours.

Be warned though, do not go out and buy new ram right away. Test what you have first. Going even farther take the same ram and run the test on another mobo for a few just to be sure. Sometimes you can have a bad rail on the mobo corrupting the ram .