Sign in with
Your question

Help! My 805 crashes 3D Mark 06 @ 3.8Ghz, 1.6V

Last response: in Overclocking
June 26, 2006 10:55:34 PM

I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice as this is my first attempt at overclocking.

My system is as follows:

Asus P5WD2-E Premium
Pentium D 805
2Gb Corsair XMS2 TwinX 800Mhz DDR2
Tagan TG530 U15
Koolance Exos AL with CPU-305 CPU block and VID-NV2-L06 gfx card block.
Leadtek GeForce 7900GT

My problem is that it seems to require unusually high vcore settings to run stable when o/c. In order to get it to stop rebooting while running 2 instances of Prime95 I had to raise the core voltage to just below 1.6V. (This was done in small increments). It then seemed to run it ok for a couple of hours but when I tried 3D Mark 06 it crashed on the CPU test (without rebooting).

I raised the core voltage to 1.6V and it ran through 3D Mark a couple of times ok, but now it keeps crashing on the 2nd CPU test.

I think the vcore is dropping a lot under load. I had the Asus PC Probe running while it was doing Prime95 and when set at 1.6V it would appear to drop as low 1.5V. I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy of this program as it displays the core voltage as high as 1.66V on idle which doesn't tally up with CPU-Z or the normal BIOS readings.

Should I consider raising the vcore a bit more and is it safe to do so? Could there be another issue involved?

My CPU temp goes as high as 60 when under full load, is this OK? Does anybody know at what point the 805 starts to throttle itself back?

Does anyone have any idea what the long term effects of running a CPU at this high voltage could be?

Hope you guys can help :) 

More about : 805 crashes mark 8ghz

June 27, 2006 5:37:08 AM

What do you have your RAM set to?
June 27, 2006 6:35:05 AM

You figured out your own problem I had the same thing on two of those boards , 1.6v is just fine , it is high for 3.8ghz.

Quote:
You can't expect every 805D to OC to 4.1Ghz. Each proc is different, so yours might not OC so well. 1.6V isn't a good idea, either. 1.5V is about the highest you should go.

I expect most can

now to your problem install/run speed fan and check the cpu voltage when running the cpu test on 3dmark06 if it drops like this

asus probe is kind of accurate it is a vdroop problem
, you'll need to do the volt mod. (not hard at all but i do alot of this stuff)
You can search google for the vmod, if not ill try and find it again for you.
while your at it check you 12v with speed fan under load also that can be dropping to much also. <that more a psu issue

by the way i have been as high as ~1.62 @ 4.32ghz normally 1.57v 4.1ghz
Related resources
June 27, 2006 6:54:48 AM

here you go click here
you can PM proth if you have any problems real cool guy. Otherewise i can try to help.

I have also done his pencil mod just to see if it works and it does. I just could not sell the pc with a piece of lead in it

Quote:
What do you have your RAM set to?

also a good question but dont think it matters as far as freq. because the board selects the divider for you. so it wont be an issue untill 200fsb when the ram will run its 800mhz
June 27, 2006 7:54:54 AM

If windows reboots, it is most likely that the memory is failing. If you get error, blue screen, frozen screen, then it is more than likely the cpu.
June 27, 2006 10:27:25 AM

Thanks for the replies! My RAM is set as high as it will go (it is 800Mhz RAM after all) which means 760 at 3.8 (off the top of my head, somewhere around there anyway).

I really don't fancy taking a soldering iron to my new £130 motherboard (also, I've not got a lot of soldering experience and would need to buy a more accurate iron than the one I've got as it's quite big).

I'm more inclined to try the pencil mod. Do you know how risky this is? Also, if it's this easy to make the vcore stable it makes me wonder why Asus didn't just attach a resistor to it in the first place. Do you know how it works and if there could be any long term effects?

The only other thing that's concerning me is my temperatures. I think I may have applied too much paste and am considering trying to wiggle the CPU block to squidge out the excess. Is 60 at 1.6V too hot for water cooling?

Oh, one more thing: As I'm running the RAM below spec I thought I might try tightening the timings, but when I set it to manual there is one more timing setting than I was expecting. Do you know what the settings on this motherboard should be to run the RAM at CAS 4?

Cheers :) 
June 27, 2006 10:57:29 AM

3.8GHz if fvcking High... at 1.13GHz overclock, surely you are testing the thermaldynamic limits of your CPU, unless exotic cooling is being used...
If you do not mind risking a fried chip, relax to a 3.6GHz and enjoy...
June 27, 2006 10:58:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! My RAM is set as high as it will go (it is 800Mhz RAM after all) which means 760 at 3.8 (off the top of my head, somewhere around there anyway).

I really don't fancy taking a soldering iron to my new £130 motherboard (also, I've not got a lot of soldering experience and would need to buy a more accurate iron than the one I've got as it's quite big).

I'm more inclined to try the pencil mod. Do you know how risky this is? Also, if it's this easy to make the vcore stable it makes me wonder why Asus didn't just attach a resistor to it in the first place. Do you know how it works and if there could be any long term effects?

The only other thing that's concerning me is my temperatures. I think I may have applied too much paste and am considering trying to wiggle the CPU block to squidge out the excess. Is 60 at 1.6V too hot for water cooling?

Oh, one more thing: As I'm running the RAM below spec I thought I might try tightening the timings, but when I set it to manual there is one more timing setting than I was expecting. Do you know what the settings on this motherboard should be to run the RAM at CAS 4?

It still seems to be running very hot, even for 1.6v.

although it is a different mobo, this is what mine is on.

CPU

FSB 760
V 1.425

RAM

FSB 675
V Auto

Can you try setting the CPU to this and try setting the ram to 667 and V auto. Ram timings are 4 4 4 11

What I did was tried a lower ram setting until I found my CPU setting that were stable. Then worked on my RAM tweaking.

It may be the mobo, but I am on air cooling and @ 3.8 my load temp is 53c.
June 27, 2006 11:57:19 AM

Quote:
Re: Help! My 805 crashes 3D Mark 06 @ 3.8Ghz, 1.6V

You dont say?
Id say your problem is your running a 2.66 chip at 3.8. Glad I could help. :roll:
June 27, 2006 1:57:50 PM

Quote:

You dont say?
Id say your problem is your running a 2.66 chip at 3.8. Glad I could help. :roll:
Agreed... albeit would be great if AMD had chips that could go from 1.8GHz to 2.9GHz OC... :roll:
June 27, 2006 3:37:15 PM

"I think the vcore is dropping a lot under load......."

Sounds like your PSU may not be up to the job if your voltage is dropping. I read yesterday in the 805D @4.1. I've excerpted a few lines here.

"With a heavy load (100% utilization) on both CPU cores, the difference between standard clock rates and overclocking to 4.1 GHz is pretty dramatic. The resulting boost in performance comes at the cost of 216 W of actual power consumed!
Thus, those who have a 500 Watt power supply in their PCs can overclock this CPU without a second thought."
I'd feel better with a 550w (10% increase) or better for cushion.

That's almost 1/2 of the power of a 500w psu for the cpu's alone. Add the he's,GPU, fans ect, do the math???

Rule #1, if you don't have an Adequate PSU, you can't do diddly...., much less OC...

I'm also looking at doing this system with an Abit AW8D. 975X about $75 less than the gigabyte board. I've always buy abit and have never had a problem and with email & Phone Tech support I'm a happy camper, wish I could say the same for Asus, can't even count on a Asus board to reconnize my KVM.

Good luck,
June 27, 2006 3:52:36 PM

Quote:

You dont say?
Agreed... albeit would be great if AMD had chips that could go from 1.8GHz to 2.9GHz OC... :roll:

They dont need to. See 2ghz chips from AMD run faster than 3ghz chips from Intel. Where have you been :roll:
From what you spend on that chip and a water cooling kit, you could have bought yourself a real cpu.
June 27, 2006 3:54:16 PM

Quote:

You dont say?

They dont need to. See 2ghz chips from AMD run faster than 3ghz chips from Intel. Where have you been :roll:For another month...Enjoy the bragging rights, while you can.
June 27, 2006 4:32:49 PM

I wonder how many poor 805Ds will be sacrificed in the name of that damn article?
June 27, 2006 6:10:17 PM

Almost... I have had few reports of first had AMD chips exceeding 3GHz... but quite a few Intel chips breaking 4GHz...

BTW, I have an Opty 175 OC'd to 2.64GHz...
June 27, 2006 6:32:19 PM

Quote:

You dont say?

They dont need to. See 2ghz chips from AMD run faster than 3ghz chips from Intel. Where have you been :roll:
From what you spend on that chip and a water cooling kit, you could have bought yourself a real cpu.

But if I had spent the money on a CPU I wouldn't have had the fun of setting up a water cooling system that I can use in the future and that is doing a very good job of cooling my graphics card. Hoping to overclock that some as well. Besides, I worked it out. Even if I can't get it above 3.6Ghz (which it runs stable at atm) including the cost of the water cooling kit I am still considerably under what it would cost to buy an A64 dual core 4400.

Oh, and I'm also ready to drop a conroe straight in if I should feel like it.
June 27, 2006 6:35:23 PM

Quote:

First the you run speed fan?

Dont worry its most likely not your ram, if you enetered it manually it was right from the ram correct?
It is either vdroop on the cpu or psu. I go with the cpu vdroop
the pencil mod is just fine I have only recently (2 months) did the hard mod but there does not seem to be any ill side effects. The one thing is there is going to be a voltage difference so set the vcore lower.

As far a why it needs the vdroop mod it because of the voltage regulator setup asus did not put 8 phase power like gigabyte does, if you check out the link it goes more into detail

I have had a 3800x2 and opty 144 the x2 didnt overclock to well. the opty 144 went to 2.7ghz.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What cpu you is a "real" cpu so i can get rid of this fake one?
I paid $309 + tax for d805 for cpu,mobo,watercooling @3.8ghz max that i did not need watercooling for. and $399 for 3800x2 cpu and mobo @ 2.4ghz max
from what i gather 3.8ghz on the d805 is similiar to 2.7ghz on Amd's using 3dmark-pcmark cpu test that is.

Also from what i gather successful over clocks on amd are more a shot in the dark then they are with Intel.
June 27, 2006 6:38:05 PM

Quote:
Almost... I have had few reports of first had AMD chips exceeding 3GHz... but quite a few Intel chips breaking 4GHz...

BTW, I have an Opty 175 OC'd to 2.64GHz...

Is that on air and do you think your Opty 175 at 2.64 would outperform an 805D (or similiar) at 3.64?
June 27, 2006 6:53:38 PM

opty at 2.6~2.7 is similiar to a d805 at 3.8ghz but again what is the sucess rate of getting 2.7ghz on different opty's?the 144 seems to be the overclocker of the bunch.1 thing i would like to know is the fx60 is not that great of an over clocker from what I read; why? what it the opteron equivalent and how does it over clock?
from what i can gather the d805 has a real high sucess rate for 3.8ghz.
June 27, 2006 7:14:38 PM

Quote:

You dont say?

From what you spend on that chip and a water cooling kit, you could have bought yourself a real cpu.Depends on what you want to do. If you are into encoding, the P4 rules over the K8. My celeron D 310 @ 3.6 GHz beats your 2.4 GHz A64 in mpeg2 and DivX encoding.
June 27, 2006 7:20:29 PM

Quote:

You dont say?

They dont need to. See 2ghz chips from AMD run faster than 3ghz chips from Intel. Where have you been :roll:For another month...Enjoy the bragging rights, while you can.

Ive been enjoying the bragging rights for 3 years fanboy.
Dont forget little AMD has been playing catchup with huge Intel since their existence so Intel regaining the crown for once isnt going to mean much now is it? Well except to fanboys like yourself. Intel is so huge compared to AMD that its almost humorous thats its taken this long for them to come up with something good, and it's still not even released yet. haha.
Not to mention they had to add 4 megs of cache to be competative. Thats gotta be costing them, but not as much as the market share they have lost to AMD.
June 28, 2006 3:58:49 AM

Sounds about right. I almost picked upt a 930d with c1 stepping last weekend. but i think better ram is required to get good overclocks.
because without a doubt i rather pay the extra money for a 930 because these d805s powerhungry torches, just want to stay in the 4ghz area and on futuremarks orb there are not many d920/30's in 4ghz ballparh as ther is in the 3.7/8ghz range

Jk306 you can also try a design drawing kit for the pencil mod they have 3 or 4 different pencils 2a,2b,2h,2hb that will give you different values when doing the mod. again you would need to check the voltages with speeedfan to see what gives you the least droop.
June 28, 2006 11:26:58 AM

Yeh, thanks for your help I'm trying to decide whether I want to go sticking a pencil in my motherboard. Do you reckon I could stick some gaffer tape over it so it doesn't fall out?
!