longest talk / hibernating phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
October 20, 2004 1:38:18 AM

Coming from sprint looking for a phone with similar performance to the
sanyo line of phone. The only thing I really will miss is the sanyo
phone. I forget after days as to when it was charged last. The
batteries last me for years and actually have one over 3 years old
that still works like new. If anyone else here knows what i'm talking
about, please let me know which they recommend. Is it at all possible
to bring the phone over with me? Only other things I like are
reception and sound quality with the reception being very good for the
sanyo on such a shitty network. Thoughts?
Thanks
Scott
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:29:22 AM

<snip>
> Is it at all possible
> to bring the phone over with me?

No, Cingular uses GSM TDMA, Sprint and Verizon ect use CDMA they are not
comatible unless the phone has 800mhz amps then you will eat your battery
very fast. But Cingular would not activate a amps only phone anyway. Color
displays use more battery than mono display. I keep an extra two batteries
and a standalone charger to charge them without the phone. A car charger is
good for travel.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 9:43:57 PM

The Nokia 3120 has long talk time (6 hours according to the Cingular
website).

BTW, Sanyo makes OEM batteries for many phone and computer manufacturers.
They have excellent battery technology.

"Scott" <scotcox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Coming from sprint looking for a phone with similar performance to the
> sanyo line of phone. The only thing I really will miss is the sanyo
> phone. I forget after days as to when it was charged last. The
> batteries last me for years and actually have one over 3 years old
> that still works like new. If anyone else here knows what i'm talking
> about, please let me know which they recommend. Is it at all possible
> to bring the phone over with me? Only other things I like are
> reception and sound quality with the reception being very good for the
> sanyo on such a shitty network. Thoughts?
> Thanks
> Scott
October 22, 2004 7:17:08 PM

In <Ac2dncrAW9O6EeXcRVn-sw@giganews.com> on Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:26:56 -0500,
cambie <none@provided.com> wrote:

>John F wrote:
>> "cambie" <none@provided.com> wrote in message

>>>... I hate my v400 anyway.
>>
>> Why do you hate it?
>>
>cause it's big and fat and is uncomfortable to carry in my pocket. and i
>refuse to clip my phone to my belt. also, i HATE the fact that when i
>set it to "vibrate and ring", it vibrates for the first 2 rings, then
>audibly rings for another 2 or 3. Why doesn't it ring and vibrate at the
>same time? But i guess that's a motorola complaint. ...

I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. Vibrating before ringing makes
it possible to answer without disturbing those around you, with delayed
ringing if you miss the vibration, which to me would be a good thing.

October 22, 2004 11:39:25 PM

John Navas wrote:

> In <Ac2dncrAW9O6EeXcRVn-sw@giganews.com> on Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:26:56 -0500,
> cambie <none@provided.com> wrote:
>

>>John F wrote:
>>
>>>"cambie" <none@provided.com> wrote in message

>>>Why do you hate it?
>>>

>>cause it's big and fat and is uncomfortable to carry in my pocket. and i
>>refuse to clip my phone to my belt. also, i HATE the fact that when i
>>set it to "vibrate and ring", it vibrates for the first 2 rings, then
>>audibly rings for another 2 or 3. Why doesn't it ring and vibrate at the
>>same time? But i guess that's a motorola complaint. ...
>

> I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. Vibrating before ringing makes
> it possible to answer without disturbing those around you, with delayed
> ringing if you miss the vibration, which to me would be a good thing.

Absofreakinglutely.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

>>> Why do you hate it?
>>>
>>cause it's big and fat and is uncomfortable to carry in my pocket. and i
>>refuse to clip my phone to my belt. also, i HATE the fact that when i
>>set it to "vibrate and ring", it vibrates for the first 2 rings, then
>>audibly rings for another 2 or 3. Why doesn't it ring and vibrate at the
>>same time? But i guess that's a motorola complaint. ...
>
> I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. Vibrating before ringing
> makes
> it possible to answer without disturbing those around you, with delayed
> ringing if you miss the vibration, which to me would be a good thing.

I carry my Motorola in my purse and if I set it to vibrate/ring, I don't
know it's ringing until the 3rd ring and by the time I get the purse open
and find the phone it has answered in voice mail. That's another complaint -
voice mail takes over at the 4th ring, which isn't always enough time for me
to get to my phone, especially if I'm driving and it's in my purse. Why
can't Motorola make that option customizable so that it will ring longer
before voice mail picks up?

Not really expecting an answer to that question, just venting.
October 23, 2004 5:18:27 PM

Vigo wrote:

> I carry my Motorola in my purse and if I set it to vibrate/ring, I don't
> know it's ringing until the 3rd ring and by the time I get the purse open
> and find the phone it has answered in voice mail. That's another complaint -
> voice mail takes over at the 4th ring, which isn't always enough time for me
> to get to my phone, especially if I'm driving and it's in my purse. Why
> can't Motorola make that option customizable so that it will ring longer
> before voice mail picks up?
>
> Not really expecting an answer to that question, just venting.

The time interval (not ring count) can be adjusted in the carrier's
equipment. Unfortuantely, this fact isn't currently part of the
customer's list of choices. :(

However, I've been hearing rumours that some carriers are shopping with
their equipment suppliers for a new feature which may impact this.
Likely to be marketed under more than one name (depending on the
carrier's marketing dept), it's a way for the customer to provide a
personalised audible ring-back for when others call. In lieu of the
standard, interrupted ring-ring one hears now before answer, one would
presumably hear some sort of audio clip of the wireless customer's
preference. Maybe a .midi (musical tune), or a .wav audio track (also
music or commercial rant), whatever one wants others to hear while
they're waiting on you to stop scratching or picking and press the send
button. I would think with this new feature, if true, would also
include a varible time delay before cut-through. Unfortunately, this
same rumour didn't include any provision for anyone to 'opt out' of
having to put up with the personalised ramblings of whomever they've
called. God help us all.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

In article <JJsed.4876$KJ6.648@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Vigo" <suerivas@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I carry my Motorola in my purse and if I set it to vibrate/ring, I don't
> know it's ringing until the 3rd ring and by the time I get the purse open
> and find the phone it has answered in voice mail. That's another complaint -
> voice mail takes over at the 4th ring, which isn't always enough time for me
> to get to my phone, especially if I'm driving and it's in my purse. Why
> can't Motorola make that option customizable so that it will ring longer
> before voice mail picks up?
>
> Not really expecting an answer to that question, just venting.

I typically hang up after 4 rings if I'm looking for a person, assuming
its about to go to voice mail. So your phone ringing longer wouldn't
help with folks like me.

Many ladies use a leather case with a belt clip, and clip the belt clip
to the purse strap so they'll hear the phone.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:16:22 PM

In <JJsed.4876$KJ6.648@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004
13:08:57 GMT, "Vigo" <suerivas@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I carry my Motorola in my purse and if I set it to vibrate/ring, I don't
>know it's ringing until the 3rd ring and by the time I get the purse open
>and find the phone it has answered in voice mail. That's another complaint -
>voice mail takes over at the 4th ring, which isn't always enough time for me
>to get to my phone, especially if I'm driving and it's in my purse. Why
>can't Motorola make that option customizable so that it will ring longer
>before voice mail picks up?
>
>Not really expecting an answer to that question, just venting.

The time to go to voicemail is controlled by the carrier's system, not the
phone.

October 23, 2004 10:21:44 PM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:18:27 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>The time interval (not ring count) can be adjusted in the carrier's
>equipment. Unfortuantely, this fact isn't currently part of the
>customer's list of choices. :(

For GSM subscribers it's already available through use of *#
(star/hash) codes. It can be found several places on the net readily.

>However, I've been hearing rumours that some carriers are shopping with
>their equipment suppliers for a new feature which may impact this.
>Likely to be marketed under more than one name (depending on the
>carrier's marketing dept), it's a way for the customer to provide a
>personalised audible ring-back for when others call. In lieu of the
>standard, interrupted ring-ring one hears now before answer, one would
>presumably hear some sort of audio clip of the wireless customer's
>preference.

That service is already available with T-Mobile in the UK.
October 24, 2004 2:58:02 AM

Joseph wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:18:27 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>

>>The time interval (not ring count) can be adjusted in the carrier's
>>equipment. Unfortuantely, this fact isn't currently part of the
>>customer's list of choices. :(
>

> For GSM subscribers it's already available through use of *#
> (star/hash) codes. It can be found several places on the net readily.
>

>>However, I've been hearing rumours that some carriers are shopping with
>>their equipment suppliers for a new feature which may impact this.
>>Likely to be marketed under more than one name (depending on the
>>carrier's marketing dept), it's a way for the customer to provide a
>>personalised audible ring-back for when others call. In lieu of the
>>standard, interrupted ring-ring one hears now before answer, one would
>>presumably hear some sort of audio clip of the wireless customer's
>>preference.
>

> That service is already available with T-Mobile in the UK.

Okay, didn't know that, I'm still curious.... is the ring interval
adjustable? What seems to be the popular use of it?

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

In article <cle787$7i7@library1.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> The time interval (not ring count) can be adjusted in the carrier's
> equipment. Unfortuantely, this fact isn't currently part of the
> customer's list of choices. :(
>
> However, I've been hearing rumours that some carriers are shopping with
> their equipment suppliers for a new feature which may impact this.
> Likely to be marketed under more than one name (depending on the
> carrier's marketing dept), it's a way for the customer to provide a
> personalised audible ring-back for when others call. In lieu of the
> standard, interrupted ring-ring one hears now before answer, one would
> presumably hear some sort of audio clip of the wireless customer's
> preference. Maybe a .midi (musical tune), or a .wav audio track (also
> music or commercial rant), whatever one wants others to hear while
> they're waiting on you to stop scratching or picking and press the send
> button. I would think with this new feature, if true, would also
> include a varible time delay before cut-through. Unfortunately, this
> same rumour didn't include any provision for anyone to 'opt out' of
> having to put up with the personalised ramblings of whomever they've
> called. God help us all.

For only $4.95 / month ?
October 24, 2004 1:20:35 PM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:58:02 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Joseph wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:18:27 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>>

>>>The time interval (not ring count) can be adjusted in the carrier's
>>>equipment. Unfortuantely, this fact isn't currently part of the
>>>customer's list of choices. :(
>>

>> For GSM subscribers it's already available through use of *#
>> (star/hash) codes. It can be found several places on the net readily.
>>

>>>However, I've been hearing rumours that some carriers are shopping with
>>>their equipment suppliers for a new feature which may impact this.
>>>Likely to be marketed under more than one name (depending on the
>>>carrier's marketing dept), it's a way for the customer to provide a
>>>personalised audible ring-back for when others call. In lieu of the
>>>standard, interrupted ring-ring one hears now before answer, one would
>>>presumably hear some sort of audio clip of the wireless customer's
>>>preference.
>>

>> That service is already available with T-Mobile in the UK.
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>

>Okay, didn't know that, I'm still curious.... is the ring interval
>adjustable? What seems to be the popular use of it?

I just told you it is adjustable using *# codes. Why use it? Some
people can't get to their phone immediately for one reason or another
and would rather take the call than let it roll to voicemail. It may
just be personal preference.

October 24, 2004 3:41:33 PM

"Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message news:<xzSdd.8533$6q2.7801@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>...
Perhaps you have on hand the link or address to find those sanyo batteries??
THX
Scott

> The Nokia 3120 has long talk time (6 hours according to the Cingular
> website).
>
> BTW, Sanyo makes OEM batteries for many phone and computer manufacturers.
> They have excellent battery technology.
>
> "Scott" <scotcox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Coming from sprint looking for a phone with similar performance to the
> > sanyo line of phone. The only thing I really will miss is the sanyo
> > phone. I forget after days as to when it was charged last. The
> > batteries last me for years and actually have one over 3 years old
> > that still works like new. If anyone else here knows what i'm talking
> > about, please let me know which they recommend. Is it at all possible
> > to bring the phone over with me? Only other things I like are
> > reception and sound quality with the reception being very good for the
> > sanyo on such a shitty network. Thoughts?
> > Thanks
> > Scott
October 24, 2004 5:30:55 PM

Joseph wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:58:02 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>

>>Joseph wrote:

>>>For GSM subscribers it's already available through use of *#
>>>(star/hash) codes. It can be found several places on the net readily.

>>>That service is already available with T-Mobile in the UK.
>>>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>>

>>Okay, didn't know that, I'm still curious.... is the ring interval
>>adjustable? What seems to be the popular use of it?
>

> I just told you it is adjustable using *# codes. Why use it? Some
> people can't get to their phone immediately for one reason or another
> and would rather take the call than let it roll to voicemail. It may
> just be personal preference.

Oh, yeah, you did mention the codes. As far as one's preference is
concerned, I can see where some may prefer a long time interval to allow
their brag clip to play through. All I want is an opt-out capability,
like pressing a key to push my call past all the drivel.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

In <cle787$7i7@library1.airnews.net> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:18:27 -0500, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Vigo wrote:
>
>> I carry my Motorola in my purse and if I set it to vibrate/ring, I don't
>> know it's ringing until the 3rd ring and by the time I get the purse open
>> and find the phone it has answered in voice mail. That's another complaint -
>> voice mail takes over at the 4th ring, which isn't always enough time for me
>> to get to my phone, especially if I'm driving and it's in my purse. Why
>> can't Motorola make that option customizable so that it will ring longer
>> before voice mail picks up?
>>
>> Not really expecting an answer to that question, just venting.
>
>The time interval (not ring count) can be adjusted in the carrier's
>equipment. Unfortuantely, this fact isn't currently part of the
>customer's list of choices. :(

Standard GSM code:

Divert Voice Calls, No Answer
Delay nn seconds: max 30 seconds, in 5 second increments
Set: **61*destination*11*nn#[SEND]
Cancel: ##61*11#[SEND]
Query: *#61*11#[SEND]

May not work on all networks, but does work on Cingular.
The "destination" is your voice mailbox number, not your mobile number!
Do a Query first to get the correct destination number.

October 24, 2004 9:24:57 PM

John Navas wrote:

> Standard GSM code:
>
> Divert Voice Calls, No Answer
> Delay nn seconds: max 30 seconds, in 5 second increments
> Set: **61*destination*11*nn#[SEND]
> Cancel: ##61*11#[SEND]
> Query: *#61*11#[SEND]
>
> May not work on all networks, but does work on Cingular.
> The "destination" is your voice mailbox number, not your mobile number!
> Do a Query first to get the correct destination number.

Noted. Thanks much.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
October 24, 2004 9:24:57 PM

John Navas wrote:

> In <cle787$7i7@library1.airnews.net> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:18:27 -0500, Jer
> <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>

>>Vigo wrote:
>>

>>>I carry my Motorola in my purse and if I set it to vibrate/ring, I don't
>>>know it's ringing until the 3rd ring and by the time I get the purse open
>>>and find the phone it has answered in voice mail. That's another complaint -
>>>voice mail takes over at the 4th ring, which isn't always enough time for me
>>>to get to my phone, especially if I'm driving and it's in my purse. Why
>>>can't Motorola make that option customizable so that it will ring longer
>>>before voice mail picks up?
>>>
>>>Not really expecting an answer to that question, just venting.
>>
>>The time interval (not ring count) can be adjusted in the carrier's
>>equipment. Unfortuantely, this fact isn't currently part of the
>>customer's list of choices. :(
>

> Standard GSM code:
>
> Divert Voice Calls, No Answer
> Delay nn seconds: max 30 seconds, in 5 second increments
> Set: **61*destination*11*nn#[SEND]
> Cancel: ##61*11#[SEND]
> Query: *#61*11#[SEND]
>
> May not work on all networks, but does work on Cingular.
> The "destination" is your voice mailbox number, not your mobile number!
> Do a Query first to get the correct destination number.

hmmm... having just tried the query, "Request unknown - please try
again". Thankfully, I do know the VM destination number, I just don't
know the time interval currently set.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

In <clgsbq$pmr@library2.airnews.net> on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:30:55 -0500, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>... As far as one's preference is
>concerned, I can see where some may prefer a long time interval to allow
>their brag clip to play through. All I want is an opt-out capability,
>like pressing a key to push my call past all the drivel.

There's no such option for the caller, only for the callee.

October 25, 2004 12:15:45 AM

In <clgssa$jm5@library2.airnews.net> on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:39:43 -0500, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>> Standard GSM code:
>>
>> Divert Voice Calls, No Answer
>> Delay nn seconds: max 30 seconds, in 5 second increments
>> Set: **61*destination*11*nn#[SEND]
>> Cancel: ##61*11#[SEND]
>> Query: *#61*11#[SEND]
>>
>> May not work on all networks, but does work on Cingular.
>> The "destination" is your voice mailbox number, not your mobile number!
>> Do a Query first to get the correct destination number.
>
>hmmm... having just tried the query, "Request unknown - please try
>again". Thankfully, I do know the VM destination number, I just don't
>know the time interval currently set.

The Query should work if you're on Cingular GSM. If it doesn't, then the Set
option probably won't work either.

Make sure you enter the correct sequence.

I think the default interval is 15 secs, but you can easily test it (from
another phone).

October 25, 2004 3:02:59 AM

John Navas wrote:

> In <clgssa$jm5@library2.airnews.net> on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:39:43 -0500, Jer
> <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>

>>John Navas wrote:
>

>>>Standard GSM code:
>>>
>>> Divert Voice Calls, No Answer
>>> Delay nn seconds: max 30 seconds, in 5 second increments
>>> Set: **61*destination*11*nn#[SEND]
>>> Cancel: ##61*11#[SEND]
>>> Query: *#61*11#[SEND]
>>>
>>>May not work on all networks, but does work on Cingular.
>>>The "destination" is your voice mailbox number, not your mobile number!
>>>Do a Query first to get the correct destination number.
>>
>>hmmm... having just tried the query, "Request unknown - please try
>>again". Thankfully, I do know the VM destination number, I just don't
>>know the time interval currently set.
>

> The Query should work if you're on Cingular GSM. If it doesn't, then the Set
> option probably won't work either.
>
> Make sure you enter the correct sequence.
>
> I think the default interval is 15 secs, but you can easily test it (from
> another phone).

I just tried it again, twice, same results. Right now, I'm on Cingular
GSM in Dallas. I'll check with my Cingular buddy during the week.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
!