ATI Radeon X1600 Pro Driver Problem

Speeder_24

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
AMD Anthlon XP 3000+, 1 GB RAM, X1600 Pro card. When I install any other driver but what came with the card, it screws the pooch for me. I'm not a complete imbecile, but I can't figure it out. I did install and use a registry cleaner called, "registry booster" several months ago. Could that have anything to do with this? I've done all the standard stuff you should do to load new drivers, so the basics are covered. I even tried Omega driver for the card but it does the same thing. Basically, after I install the driver, everything is choppy, the internet doesn't really scroll, and forget opening up a game. Any help would be appreciated!

thanks. Speeder

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Did you try using the Catalyst Uninstaller tool from ATi? Go to ATi's site and download it. It is supposed to completely remove ATi related files from your system. Once you've done that, download and install the latest drivers from ATi and see if it helps. I've seed some people mention that you should uninstall the VGA drivers while in Windows Safe Mode, but I'm not sure if you need to take measures that far.

It's been awhile (9600XT was my last ATi card) since I've messed with ATi's driver, but I believe you need Microsoft's .NET installed as well.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
yes if your using the newest 6.6's you need .Net 2.0 and I would advise downloading even if you do have it installed and run the repair install. The reason for this is that some of the registry cleaners/optimizers do not know how to handle the values .Net writes to the registry and fudges them up... Do the repair install of .Net 2.0 and run ATI's cleaner then do the step by step install of ATI's driver package in the order listed on the site. I finaly got mine fixed last night doing the same thing only I was getting some error related to CCC durring the install.