Our Xerox 8400 phaser printer works pretty well. However, if the
maintenance kit expires, it refuses to print anything until it is
replaced! Does anyone know whether this can be overridden?

It seems printer manufacturers are increasingly likely to force us into
buying products, even if that means the user won't be able to print for
several days if they didn't have a spare.

Jeremy

In article <pan.2005.04.12.09.21.27.70499@jeremysanders.net>,
Jeremy Sanders <jeremy+plusnews@jeremysanders.net> wrote:

> Our Xerox 8400 phaser printer works pretty well. However, if the
> maintenance kit expires, it refuses to print anything until it is
> replaced! Does anyone know whether this can be overridden?
>
> It seems printer manufacturers are increasingly likely to force us into
> buying products, even if that means the user won't be able to print for
> several days if they didn't have a spare.

So understand the product and keep spares around.

You can also overnight what you need.

HP does the same thing; it's a click charge. Get it? But they market
these things without counters, to satisfy the crowd that insists on no
click charges.