Sign in with
Your question

How big for an application only drive?

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2006 1:11:07 AM

If I am going to have seperate data drives, how big of an application drive is sufficient for Windows XP, Photoshop, Office, Outlook, various games, etc?

I'm considering a 75gb raptor. With Windows Vista close, will 75gb be enough? I'm thinking the 150gb version would be overkill for an app drive space wise. Although, the 150's are faster . . .

Thanks!

More about : big application drive

June 27, 2006 1:08:53 PM

Quote:
If I am going to have seperate data drives, how big of an application drive is sufficient for Windows XP, Photoshop, Office, Outlook, various games, etc?

I'm considering a 75gb raptor. With Windows Vista close, will 75gb be enough? I'm thinking the 150gb version would be overkill for an app drive space wise. Although, the 150's are faster . . .

Thanks!

To guage your apps partition or space needs, look at it this way: Standard OS's fully installed work best if you have at least 600mb to 1gb. Then large productivity apps with complete installs take about 300-700mb. Depending if you are emulating games with virtual drives, games could take any where from 200mb to 1gb. 75gb is definatly enough room for what you want. Just make sure you have storage options.
June 27, 2006 2:00:05 PM

XP takes more than 600mb to 1 gig
Most games are larger than 1 gig... just to let you know
Related resources
June 27, 2006 3:03:01 PM

Quote:
XP takes more than 600mb to 1 gig

Sorry buddy, I was off by 400mb, forgot about swap file. kill me.

Quote:

Most games are larger than 1 gig... just to let you know

More like some, if your not emulating or running server. But yes some are more like Q4 & BFE2. Anyway, its an estimate for how much space you may need.....
Quote:
just to let you know
June 27, 2006 3:47:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys!
!