Voice Over IP Walkie Talkies

I would like a device that looks and works like a walkie-talkie except
it communicates with a wireless 802.11g Access Point and uses voice
over IP to transmit voice communications over a WAN. I believe that
this would have several benefits over a conventional cell phone, i.e.
no monthly charges, in some cases clearer communications, improved
security. To make a call to another walkie-talkie on the WAN you could
type in the IP address for that device. The device should be
lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
product like this exist?
5 answers Last reply
More about voice walkie talkies

    <srulison@mail.state.il.us> wrote:

    >I would like a device that looks and works like a walkie-talkie except
    > it communicates with a wireless 802.11g Access Point and uses voice
    > over IP to transmit voice communications over a WAN. I believe that
    > this would have several benefits over a conventional cell phone, i.e.
    > no monthly charges, in some cases clearer communications, improved
    > security. To make a call to another walkie-talkie on the WAN you could
    > type in the IP address for that device. The device should be
    > lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
    > product like this exist?

    You'd be better off aliasing the MAC address to a real name, and storing
    that info in the "walkie talkie's" address book. If something like that
    were to ever be made that is...

    --
    OK

    srulison@mail.state.il.us wrote:
    > The device should be
    > lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
    > product like this exist?

    There are several softphone clients for PDAs if that is a feasible solution.

    Tor

    You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao
    etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
    There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
    One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
    but I need one now !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin² wrote:
    > You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao
    > etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
    > There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
    > One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
    > but I need one now !
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    P2000W is not a very good bit of kit, if I'm totally honest.

    We've never really got ours working "perfectly"..

    :<

    Alex.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    There's Spectralink as well, still not cheap.
    "Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
    > You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco ,
    Senao
    > etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
    > There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
    > One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
    > but I need one now !
    > Regards,
    > Martin

vpn IP Devices Communications Networking