Voice Over IP Walkie Talkies

Last response: in Networking
May 6, 2005 4:37:08 PM

I would like a device that looks and works like a walkie-talkie except
it communicates with a wireless 802.11g Access Point and uses voice
over IP to transmit voice communications over a WAN. I believe that
this would have several benefits over a conventional cell phone, i.e.
no monthly charges, in some cases clearer communications, improved
security. To make a call to another walkie-talkie on the WAN you could
type in the IP address for that device. The device should be
lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
product like this exist?

More about : voice walkie talkies

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:37:12 PM

<srulison@mail.state.il.us> wrote:

>I would like a device that looks and works like a walkie-talkie except
> it communicates with a wireless 802.11g Access Point and uses voice
> over IP to transmit voice communications over a WAN. I believe that
> this would have several benefits over a conventional cell phone, i.e.
> no monthly charges, in some cases clearer communications, improved
> security. To make a call to another walkie-talkie on the WAN you could
> type in the IP address for that device. The device should be
> lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
> product like this exist?

You'd be better off aliasing the MAC address to a real name, and storing
that info in the "walkie talkie's" address book. If something like that
were to ever be made that is...

--
OK
Anonymous

srulison@mail.state.il.us wrote:
> The device should be
> lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
> product like this exist?

There are several softphone clients for PDAs if that is a feasible solution.

Tor
May 7, 2005 5:14:01 AM

You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao
etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
but I need one now !
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:08:19 PM

MartinĀ² wrote:
> You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao
> etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
> There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
> One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
> but I need one now !
> Regards,
> Martin

P2000W is not a very good bit of kit, if I'm totally honest.

We've never really got ours working "perfectly"..

:<

Alex.
May 10, 2005 2:36:54 PM

There's Spectralink as well, still not cheap.

!