fzeng

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hypothetically, if I had a computer for 10 years or longer. Would the parts eventually completely stop working due to age. We're not talking about going really slow, I mean would the computer stop turning on.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
how many hours have you run it in these past 10 years..hypothetically speaking? transistors and electrical components all have a finite life.. the theory on why these parts die.. it's simple.. the smoke has escaped. you see every transistor, capacitor and resistor has smoke inside.. when you let that out.. it no longer works.. hyptothetically...i mean metaphorically speaking.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Hypothetically, if the computer was not powering up the first thing I would check if the computer was recently moved is the voltage switch on the back of the computer and make sure it didn't get set to 220 by accident. The next thing would be to change out the powersupply they do go out it is one of the most common things to go out on an older computer. That is what would most likely keep it from turning on.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Hypothetically, if I had a computer for 10 years or longer. Would the parts eventually completely stop working due to age. We're not talking about going really slow, I mean would the computer stop turning on.

Computers can last longer than ten years. The aging of components certainly will take many computers out. Components with moving parts like hard drives can die first. Power supply capacitors are sometimes the first to go. Lightening can kill immediately but some electronics can live on a while after taking a hit then die unexpectedly later. Etc.