Terminal Services Client

November 26, 2004 4:41:37 PM

I wanted to get some clarification on this feature. I need the ability to
walk around our facility and control our servers remotely. Will the
terminal services client act exactly like the terminal client you can
install on a desktop? Will I be able to see my server as if I was standing
in front of it?

If it does work that way, how does the image look on such a small screen?

Thanks,
Jasper
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:12:29 PM

Yes, it's exactly the same if you have server2003. I don't think it works on
2000 server (didn't for me anyway).

The screen size on the PPC has two options "regular" and "shrink to screen".
In the latter, there are some problems reaching certain options sometimes
but with some practice you can set up links to what you need.

You'll want to set up remote routing first and then vpn to the server.
You'll need to add an exception on your ppc vpn for your interal address if
you are referencing it by IP. I think for a netbios reference everything
will work ok, without the exception.

"Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I wanted to get some clarification on this feature. I need the ability to
> walk around our facility and control our servers remotely. Will the
> terminal services client act exactly like the terminal client you can
> install on a desktop? Will I be able to see my server as if I was
> standing
> in front of it?
>
> If it does work that way, how does the image look on such a small screen?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:12:30 PM

It does work on W2K server. At least it does on mine with Terminal Services
turned on in Remote Administration mode.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it's exactly the same if you have server2003. I don't think it works
on
> 2000 server (didn't for me anyway).
>
> The screen size on the PPC has two options "regular" and "shrink to
screen".
> In the latter, there are some problems reaching certain options sometimes
> but with some practice you can set up links to what you need.
>
> You'll want to set up remote routing first and then vpn to the server.
> You'll need to add an exception on your ppc vpn for your interal address
if
> you are referencing it by IP. I think for a netbios reference everything
> will work ok, without the exception.
>

> "Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I wanted to get some clarification on this feature. I need the ability
> > walk around our facility and control our servers remotely. Will the
> > terminal services client act exactly like the terminal client you can
> > install on a desktop? Will I be able to see my server as if I was
> > standing
> > in front of it?
> >
> > If it does work that way, how does the image look on such a small
screen?

> > Thanks,
> > Jasper

November 26, 2004 7:42:59 PM

Yes it'll work, I've used TS with both windows 2000 server and also windows
server 2003. You'll have some scrolling to do butit's not too bad as long
as the applications you are using can be resized.

rights...

"Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I wanted to get some clarification on this feature. I need the ability to
> walk around our facility and control our servers remotely. Will the
> terminal services client act exactly like the terminal client you can
> install on a desktop? Will I be able to see my server as if I was
> standing
> in front of it?
>
> If it does work that way, how does the image look on such a small screen?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 7:43:00 PM

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com>
wrote in news:o KNRwDA1EHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Yes it'll work, I've used TS with both windows 2000 server and also
> windows server 2003. You'll have some scrolling to do butit's not too
> bad as long as the applications you are using can be resized.

It even works with Remote Desktop connecting to a Windows XP Pro box I have.

For some reason, the colour depth when connecting to a Windows 2000 Server is
better than connecting to Windows Server 2003. That's probably a setting on
the Terminal Server itself... I just haven't had the chance to look into it.

-lyj
November 26, 2004 10:19:27 PM

Well, it sort of depends.

If you have a PPC with a VGA display, and you run 640x480 on your
servers (should be, or only slightly more) then yes, you will get an
excellent display that looks just like the real display on your console.
Even if you res is slightly higher than standard VGA you will be able
to scroll around. You do need either Windows XP (or highter) on your
server or terminal services installed, though.

If you don't have a VGA display on your PPC you will be doing a ton of
scrolling around...

Jasper Recto wrote:
> I wanted to get some clarification on this feature. I need the ability to
> walk around our facility and control our servers remotely. Will the
> terminal services client act exactly like the terminal client you can
> install on a desktop? Will I be able to see my server as if I was standing
> in front of it?
>
> If it does work that way, how does the image look on such a small screen?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 5:26:53 AM

Yes, Kind of, depends on your eyes...

The TS client is nice, and works great just like the nomal Desktop app
HOWEVER your screen is is going to be in sections so you have to scroll
around. Using landscape mode helps but I wouldn't expect to do much more
than checking event logs, reboots, maybe checking a status or two.

"Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I wanted to get some clarification on this feature. I need the ability to
> walk around our facility and control our servers remotely. Will the
> terminal services client act exactly like the terminal client you can
> install on a desktop? Will I be able to see my server as if I was
standing
> in front of it?
>
> If it does work that way, how does the image look on such a small screen?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:18:44 PM

I've been trying to connect to my XP pro box with TS for quite some time and
have yet to figure out how to
get it to work correctly. I have an audiovox thera and would like to be able
to check in with my box at home
which is connected to via cable, when i'm out and about with clients so I
can check in on stored files there. Is there any way I can get a "How to"
that can step me though it. thanks

nick C. clements_nicholas@hotmail.com

"James B" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> Yes, Kind of, depends on your eyes...
>
> The TS client is nice, and works great just like the nomal Desktop app
> HOWEVER your screen is is going to be in sections so you have to scroll
> around. Using landscape mode helps but I wouldn't expect to do much more
> than checking event logs, reboots, maybe checking a status or two.
>
> "Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I wanted to get some clarification on this feature. I need the ability
> > walk around our facility and control our servers remotely. Will the
> > terminal services client act exactly like the terminal client you can
> > install on a desktop? Will I be able to see my server as if I was
> standing
> > in front of it?
> >
> > If it does work that way, how does the image look on such a small
screen?

> > Thanks,
> > Jasper

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:51:08 AM

Look at this page for help with XP Pro Remote Desktop...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

Once you get Remote Desktop enabled, configured and tested over your local LAN...then...See the
"Call Scheme from a remote location" section for help if your ISP assigns a dynamic IP to your home
connection...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!