Rename windows system folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

If possible, I would like to rename a system folder under C:\Documents and
Settings\(Here is what I would like to rename). Any ideas?

Hi,

You can't rename the user account folder. You can change the name seen on
the logon, but not the folder that houses the profile. You would have to
create a new profile with the preferred name, then copy the existing one
into it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kirk Russell" <Kirk Russell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If possible, I would like to rename a system folder under C:\Documents and
> Settings\(Here is what I would like to rename). Any ideas?

Hi

Which particular folder(s)? Some of those folders can't be renamed.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Kirk Russell" <Kirk Russell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If possible, I would like to rename a system folder under C:\Documents and
> Settings\(Here is what I would like to rename). Any ideas?

sateros

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
1. Move the folder you want to rename under C:\Documents and Settings\Username to other folder with right-click mouse drag.
2. Create a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\Username and name it as you like.
3. Copy the content to the new folder from the folder you just moved.
4. Make the new folder a special folder using Tweak UI(you can do this by modifying Windows Registry yourself).

Now you should be able to delete the original folder you moved if you want.
I have not seen any problems so far. Please try at your own risk.