dagomer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I'm New to this forum but it has been a great help just searching and then finding out that the Pentium 4 D-805 overclocking thing is not such a good deal. Sure, it would be nice to buy a dual core Pentium 2.66 and be able to O-clock it to 3.5 to 4.1 for $106 (Newegg) but uh, the mobo price makes this counter productive in my view. So you get a cheap cpubut the motherboard costs in the $250 range, to me this feels like the same ol shamalian. I was quite dissapointed to say the least.

I have always favored AMD due to the underdog thing and then they kicked Intel's butt for a while and it was a fun ride. Now its Intel's turn it appears. My hopes are the same as always since I took up this insane hobby. That there will always be a healthy competition between these two companies, [Intel the Goliath and AMD the David], and it appears my wish is being fulfilled.

But I do wonder why an almost perfect site like Tom's would announce a product like the 805's ability to be overclocked and then not warn the potential victim that he/she is about to be led down an upgrade path frought with $250+ motherboards and expensive ram? Hmm, the grain of salt looms large here.

Its going to be an interesting ride this year and next! 8O

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
The article was about the tech used for the 805 and hence the overclock capability.
As for price, well it was not price orientated, and really prices rise and fall so it really it depends when your read it, it did mention they had to use high end DDR2 memory to get benefits, so I guess that is an indication.

As for dangers of overclocking, well I think it is fair to say OC can damagae your CPU if you do not know what you are doing. I can also say it did mention this fact somewhere in the article though not very explicitly.

Anyway, I think most people were just excited that you could get a < $100 CPU which could out perform the FX-60, that they forget the dangers.

cme2c

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I know what you mean but according to some people in the forumz they are getting good results with cheaper mobos (i945 chipset) and as I read the article high speed RAM is desireable rather than necessary.

Also, this is a way for me to have a conroe ready system while I wait for any bugs to be ironed out and for prices to drop. I am waiting until August to see what happens, though.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I'm New to this forum but it has been a great help just searching? and then finding out that the Pentium 4 D-805 overclocking thing is not such a good deal. blah blah blah

As if theres not enough D805 posts

You can stop wondering and well more searching and reading (before you post especially since that original article is weeks old now) will show you a $60 board gets some decent overclocks and that high end ram is not necessary.
People like the OP seem to think that the equipment toms used is a minimum requirement list IT IS NOT it is just 1 path to a goal there are many other paths. And the goal is all that is important. With that being said have you figured out what the goal of the article was?

dagomer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
IcBlUsCrn

Wow, What a nice welcome to this forum? The other two replies I recieved were sincere efforts to answer my question. Since I have not read every article here at Tom's every day I apologize deeply to you as you appear to be an expert at defeating the purpose of an honest question.

P5WD2-E + D805 @ 4100Mhz = A WHOLE LOTTA INTEL HATERS (hmm I don't think I can get this board for $60. Any suggestions or do you just like to put people down? (ps I don't hate Intel, I have worked there.)

"With that being said have you figured out what the goal of the article was"? You asked this?
Were you sun hatched under a rock or what. Why do you hate your mommy, did she ask you to clean your room this morning before school?

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
But I do wonder why an almost perfect site like Tom's would announce a product like the 805's ability to be overclocked and then not warn the potential victim that he/she is about to be led down an upgrade path frought with $250+ motherboards and expensive ram? Hmm, the grain of salt looms large here.

Its going to be an interesting ride this year and next! 8O

The article on Toms Hardware was meant to be informative.
It was interesting and inspiring to many readers.
Because it was well written and detailed you may have been tempted to duplicate the results.
Most of us who Over clock do so with intent to protect our investment while saving the hard earned dollar on the main component of the over clock.
The performance of the $1000.00 high end CPU is matched if not surpassed by the lesser sub $200.00 CPU.
I am sure if you look closer you will see that the project was not completely with out fault and there are just too many threads to keep quoting facts.
Nowhere within the article was it stated “go out and buy the listed component and we guarantee quick satisfying results”
This would be unprofessional and disastrous.
The bottom line is.
Enjoy the articles
If you can’t afford to play then mabie you shouldn't
And if you post adverse opinions here expect the greeting to be somewhat hostile.
That’s the fun side.

dagomer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
If you can’t afford to play then mabie(sic) you shouldn't (School, were you awake)?

Believe me, I can afford to play. I prefer to build my own systems because its fun.

And if you post adverse opinions here expect the greeting to be somewhat hostile.

Was my original statement so strong as to hurt your feelings so much that you had to attack me? I asked an honest question and was treated childishly. I made no reference to the article being poorly written or under-researched, I was just asking a civil Q.

Three people replied using their brains, azrealhk, cme2c, and habitat87. The others were just trying to puff their hairless little chests to put me in my place. To the former ...Thank you, I learned a few things from you which is the goal of most of these forums.

To the little nasty boys, you have my permission to keep on making love to yourselves until you find you can live without your mum.

This board could turn out to be fun.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
The Asrock 775i65g will support conroe with revision 2.03, and it costs less than $50. I upgrading my Dell with one right now (revision 1.03 unfortunately) and will use an 805 D on it. I don't intend to overclock right now as I will be running it on a 250 watt power supply, but I would think it possible to at least reach 3.3 to 3.6 GHz on this board when equipped with an adequate power supply without any longevity problems.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
IcBlUsCrn

Wow, What a nice welcome to this forum? The other two replies I recieved were sincere efforts to answer my question. Since I have not read every article here at Tom's every day I apologize deeply to you as you appear to be an expert at defeating the purpose of an honest question.

P5WD2-E + D805 @ 4100Mhz = A WHOLE LOTTA INTEL HATERS (hmm I don't think I can get this board for $60. Any suggestions or do you just like to put people down? (ps I don't hate Intel, I have worked there.)

"With that being said have you figured out what the goal of the article was"? You asked this?

Were you sun hatched under a rock or what. Why do you hate your mommy, did she ask you to clean your room this morning before school?

1st you are the one who said you searched. Second in all that rambling you did where was the question? if it was this half hearted attempt:
my response was appropriate, i did not even go into the ram. Also my signature has no bearing to your post or my reply.

also who said anything about the p5wd2-e for $60 re-read $60 board with decent overclocks = ecs 410L $60 3.3-3.4ghz <decent overclock, ecs 945p-1 $75 3.8-3.9ghz asus p5ld2 $105 3.95 Ghz I know there are alot more but these are the only ones i actually used but none the less my point is proven that a $250 is not needed .

IcBlUsCrn

Wow, What a nice welcome to this forum? The other two replies I recieved were sincere efforts to answer my question.

I am not a welcome mat especially this being such a bad first post, and by the way my answer was sincere and honest , maybe not what you wanted to hear but too bad.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Thank you for pointing out my spelling mistake, yes I was asleep in school and at the keyboard :)
You didn’t hurt my feelings.
I have none that I’m aware of.
I most definitely did not attach you but you have a familiar flair about you.
The only statement that got my attention in your post was at the end.

"But I do wonder why an almost perfect site like Tom's would announce a product like the 805's ability to be overclocked and then not warn the potential victim that he/she is about to be led down an upgrade path frought with $250+ motherboards and expensive ram? Hmm, the grain of salt looms large here"

I was more puzzled than upset.
And I believe frought is spelled fraught

noobtastic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Sorry dagomer, it appears you didn't do much as far as research when you decided to build your system. As stated by IcBlUsCrn, there are many alternatives to $250 mobos, he just named 3 and I am considering buying this Asrock;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157086

It retails for $75. It has a 2GB ram limit, but I can live with that. As far as ram considerations, if you have build many systems you have probably experienced purchasing quality name brand ram and sometimes the Fry's specials/noname brands. Ram selection is all in the builders preference, I am guessing that if you blindly purchased a $250 mobo without searching for alternative mobos for cheaper, you probably bought some real expensive ram also.

peace
Other considerations, PCIexpress vid card, SATA drives, decent 500Watt PS, water cooling and maybe even a new case. Yes it all adds up and unfortunately for me, I do not have any of these parts as spares so I will be purchasing them for the first time. All in all I will drop probably $1100, but if you ask me, $1100 for the system I have been waiting to build for the last 2 years, that will blow away anything I have now, it will be so worth it.

dagomer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Noobtastic

Hmm, somewhere I must have missed the part where I could just get an answer, a plain english answer to a question. I bow to your superior knowledge (I speak collectively of all those who enjoyed themselves at my expense) and wish you the best and nothing but the best. I really enjoy building systems and am always ready to share what experiences I have had with others.

You will not discourage me from returning here to ask more questions, but do I have to read a 10 page manual before I post? Look back on your rhetoric and tell me I am not seeing a certain amount of distain for my greart error of phrasing a question in a manner that you find not to your taste. You should just put up a flashing sign warning off intruders.

noobtastic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
But I do wonder why an almost perfect site like Tom's would announce a product like the 805's ability to be overclocked and then not warn the potential victim that he/she is about to be led down an upgrade path frought with $250+ motherboards and expensive ram?

What kind of answer do you expect? The answer is, Tom's Hardware probably figured their readers would maybe do a little research and find a lower end mobo for significantly less than $250, if price was a concern to the article reader. Does that make you feel better? There you got a plain answer.

We all get defensive when we feel as though someone is bashing our brands, in this case Intel and Tomshardware. Especially those brands we take so much time to build with and spend everyday with reading. However, you basically made a claim that Tomshardware should be responsible for letting it's readers know that they are going to spend a ton of money to build a system with a D-805 processor, and unfortunately for you, that is just untrue. The link below leads to a follow-up article that you may have missed;

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/12/your_diy_gaming_rig_for_720/

A whole new dual core rig for $720!!! Another great article by Tom's writers.

Anyhow, I am glad that you are gonna stick around, I and most likely the others didn't mean so much bash you, just point out that the information that you implied was incorrect, and if you would have done a bit more research before posting, I doubt you would post the same question. We are all here for information whether it is to find it or share it.

once again, Peace.

jamos

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I just started rockin a D-805 on a cheap mobo with the stock fan , and Ive got it at 3.0 ghz with old ram.... its a fast chip and has gave my rig a nice boost in speed.

Its a cheap chip and over the next 6 months or so Im gonna buy all the extra crap that will be half the price by then and clock the hell out of it.

No-matter what everyone says about this chip, the golden rule is one mans shit is another mans gold.

I like this CPU because its evil, it tempts you with power and gets super hot when its putting out. Its like trying to tame a beast that just wants to spontainiusly combust.

For people who just want to overclock beacuse they love the smell of hot solder more than they love the site of windows this chip is a gem.

Jamos 'we dont have the power captain' Flamer

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
IcBlUsCrn

P5WD2-E for 60$! people don't post if you are on your period.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?Nav=|c:13||c:1533|

Loads of socket 775 bourds and amazingly nearly none of them are over 200 bucks...

Here is new egg if you like them better :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2000200280+1070509908&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=280

The bourd I am using with my 805 is under 70$ and im using cheap ass ram with the stock CPU cooler im running 3.6Ghz no problems :) if you feel the need to spend money on a mobo I would recomend something compatible with the Conroe and spend a bit more (I chose to wait so I can get something more exciting hmm maybe the new Nforce when it comes out....)

the bourd I use

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135225

wow the price actualy went up :) but still under 70$ with the mail in rebate.