Sign in with
Your question

OUCH! Think I killed it!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2006 1:47:12 PM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
I took my old celeron 333 to give it a good general clean-up. Cleaned the dust, changed the thermal material etc but think I rubbed that piece of cloth too fast...
Pressed the start button: keyboard lights, HD check but nothing more, black screen. Could it be that I gave it a fatal voltage...?
I've made my bones on that machine, I love it though I hate celerons in general. Don't think even that I can find another one where I live... Why didn't I live it dirty as it was?!!!

More about : ouch killed

June 27, 2006 1:50:54 PM

Did you remove it from socket??? If not, you might have dislodged it removing old sink... If so, either way, reseat CPU and memory and graphics, just in case not seated...
Then report back...
June 27, 2006 1:56:48 PM

Quote:
Did you remove it from socket??? If not, you might have dislodged it removing old sink... If so, either way, reseat CPU and memory and graphics, just in case not seated...
Then report back...
Perform an autopsy. :wink: hehehe

PS. Any beeps coming out of the speaker?
Related resources
June 27, 2006 1:58:46 PM

**rings Doc Wingy**
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2006 1:58:55 PM

Is that a slot one? cant rember, but I think so...
Anyway happened to me once with my slot one PII 350, the CPU just wasnt seated properly like Rich said!
June 27, 2006 1:59:42 PM

Quote:
Then report back...

I totally removed it (was full of dirt between it and the socket) I am affraid I killed it because I cleaned the top with a piece of cloth and on these older socket 370s, the pins are connected passing through the support ending on the top of it. :?
June 27, 2006 2:03:41 PM

Quote:
Anyway happened to me once with my slot one PII 350, the CPU just wasnt seated properly like Rich said!

S370
Will be glad if so, when I'm back home from work I'll give it another try.
June 27, 2006 2:04:06 PM

Quote:
Slot 1 sucked, the way you could sort of rock it from side to side. :?
June 27, 2006 2:08:03 PM

It's socket 370.
Will do anything, only want it to work, I didn't even upgrade it 1 year ago for a P3 700 FSB100 (rare thing thse days)
June 27, 2006 2:12:00 PM

Quote:
It's socket 370.
Will do anything, only want it to work, I didn't even upgrade it 1 year ago for a P3 700 FSB100 (rare thing thse days)
I suppose you don't have a spare s370 chip sitting around to throw in. Or maybe a friend/relative has one to borrow, just til you see if it was the CPU. GL :) 
June 27, 2006 2:20:00 PM

Don't think. However, I did't touch the motherboard and checked it well for missplaced cables.
June 27, 2006 2:42:23 PM

Quote:
It's socket 370.
I suppose you don't have a spare s370 chip sitting around to throw in. Or maybe a friend/relative has one to borrow, just til you see if it was the CPU. GL :) 

I know somebody but will have to kill that person (just kidding), most 370s still alive are Tualatins (1.45V I think) and won't start on my board (2-1.7V)
June 27, 2006 4:43:11 PM

I' ve really done it: turned on the PC without the CPU installed and it was all the same...
June 27, 2006 5:14:32 PM

Quote:
I took my old celeron 333 to give it a good general clean-up. Cleaned the dust, changed the thermal material etc but think I rubbed that piece of cloth too fast...
Pressed the start button: keyboard lights, HD check but nothing more, black screen. Could it be that I gave it a fatal voltage...?
I've made my bones on that machine, I love it though I hate celerons in general. Don't think even that I can find another one where I live... Why didn't I live it dirty as it was?!!!

are you sure it didn't just die of old age?

:roll:
June 27, 2006 5:21:52 PM

Quote:

are you sure it didn't just die of old age?

:roll:Alzheimers. The memory was going. :wink:
June 27, 2006 5:27:06 PM

I had many expiriences with "dirty" rigs that don't work after cleaning them up. Take off all parts from the mainboard and cleen all the slots(in side) on the mainboard with a tooth brush. Than put back the parts and see if it is working.
June 27, 2006 5:52:05 PM

yeah what usually happens is a piece of dust gets lodged in a slot or port. i've done many a memory upgrades and got nothing but black screens 'cause after i pull a SIMM or DIMM, dust falls into the slots.

gotta get that air into the slots and ports. ;-)
June 27, 2006 9:49:32 PM

Hey ,I'd heared somewhere that in these cases a bios reset is needed so I did it and it was back again! My jewel, heh, how coult he die?!
The only problem is I got out of thermal stuff with all those previous testing :oops: 
June 27, 2006 11:03:49 PM

There is something else which is much more likely to happen with old machines -- bulky capacitors, especially in PSU. You move the case to clean it and when you turn it on it won't boot because one of those bastards has let the voltage through and fried something. In my case that was mainboard and if I remember correctly, RAM. CPU was fine.
!