core2duo and DDR1

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
ATI chipset are compatible with Conroe, DDR-1 or DDR-2. There will be new conroe motherboards with it chipset, and Asrock sells one motherboard Conroe compatible with i865 chipset but it is AGP.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I must say, ASrock suprises me more and more with the ideas that they bring to light. I mean, most other companies would never think of making such a mobo as this. Not to mention the plethora of other niche items that they make.

But to answer your question a little indirectly: you'll get better performance with DDR2, so if you are thinking of buying some DDR400, don't. If you already have it, that motherboard will be one of the few solutions for you.

More directly: Almost none will support DDR400. Due to the external memory controller, the chipset makers are able to make that decision, but most will choose to make the system DDR2 due to its lower price, faster clock speed, and general "newness" of the standard. Obviously, at least one company will, but this may not be the best solution, and it may not get you the performance you would like with a shiny new core2duo.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I must say, ASrock suprises me more and more with the ideas that they bring to light. I mean, most other companies would never think of making such a mobo as this. Not to mention the plethora of other niche items that they make.

But to answer your question a little indirectly: you'll get better performance with DDR2, so if you are thinking of buying some DDR400, don't. If you already have it, that motherboard will be one of the few solutions for you.

More directly: Almost none will support DDR400. Due to the external memory controller, the chipset makers are able to make that decision, but most will choose to make the system DDR2 due to its lower price, faster clock speed, and general "newness" of the standard. Obviously, at least one company will, but this may not be the best solution, and it may not get you the performance you would like with a shiny new core2duo.
Actually, from some reviews i've seen, the difference between DDR1066-DDR533 on Conroe isn't that great. So, if you put in some DDR1 400 @ 2-2-2-5 , i bet the performance drop isn't that bad due to the tight timings. The only thing i'm hesitant of is the chipset. :?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Actually, from some reviews i've seen, the difference between DDR1066-DDR533 on Conroe isn't that great. So, if you put in some DDR1 400 @ 2-2-2-5 , i bet the performance drop isn't that bad due to the tight timings.

I did not know that. Must just be the new nature if the tech, and the higher latencies involved...

The only thing i'm hesitant of is the chipset. :?

Me too. My experience with ASRock (one board, I know it isn't much) has been that they do make a pretty stable product against all odds. Maybe this board does too. Does anyone actually own it? I would like to know, just for posterity's sake.

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
athlon 3000+ newcastle s754 | 1GB ddr 400
256MB 9600pro(lame i know) | 160GB WD cavier 8M
Gigabyte K8T800M | 19" Compaq 9500 CRT

He ask about DDR-1 because he have it and don't want to buy more. True?
ATI chipset let you use your current DDR and in the future change it to DDR-2 if you want to upgrade and don't find DDR-1.

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I have one Asrock K8NF4G-SATA2 with one sempron overclocked and is rock stable. I bought it in chritsmas and is 24/7 ON as file server, with USB hard drives, and media player.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Actually, from some reviews i've seen, the difference between DDR1066-DDR533 on Conroe isn't that great. So, if you put in some DDR1 400 @ 2-2-2-5 , i bet the performance drop isn't that bad due to the tight timings.

I did not know that. Must just be the new nature if the tech, and the higher latencies involved...

The only thing i'm hesitant of is the chipset. :?

Me too. My experience with ASRock (one board, I know it isn't much) has been that they do make a pretty stable product against all odds. Maybe this board does too. Does anyone actually own it? I would like to know, just for posterity's sake.Here's a chart showing % of performance lost due to mem speed for Conroe. This is why i said about DDR 400 @ 2-2-2-5. May be okay.

http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/17/IMG0017440.gif

I was wrong though, they only went from DDR800-DDR533. And ASRock is made by ASUS, so they are half-decent.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Newegg is still shipping old stock on the Asrock 775i65G. The board I received today does not have VRM11, meaning no Conroe support. :( IF one were to wait at least until Conroe is officially for sale, the odds of getting this board with Conroe support should be much greater.