Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Whats happening to PDA sales?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
November 27, 2004 7:03:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

They seem to be going down, and down. Some large retailers are not supplying
them in stores anymore. Does anyone know the reason for this drop in sales?

John
-------
http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve -Steve Walz website
http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve/walz/in... -Topical
postings page.
Should such a violent person be in a mental ward, behind bars or roaming
Newsgroups?
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 2:54:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 27 Nov 2004 04:03:01 GMT, crucifyself03@aol.comREMOVE (John) wrote:

>They seem to be going down, and down. Some large retailers are not supplying
>them in stores anymore. Does anyone know the reason for this drop in sales?
One word: cell phones. People want all the functions of a PDA in
their phone.


----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 3:27:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <20041126230301.14202.00001086@mb-m13.aol.com>, John says...
> They seem to be going down, and down. Some large retailers are not supplying
> them in stores anymore. Does anyone know the reason for this drop in sales?
>
Mobile phones taking over alot of the functionality. In the UK we have
the XDA 2 which is essentially a PDA with a phone built in. It'll even
run GPS Satnav software etc.

--
Conor

Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
first.
It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
shot first.
Related resources
November 27, 2004 5:45:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

John wrote:
> They seem to be going down, and down. Some large retailers are not
> supplying them in stores anymore. Does anyone know the reason for
> this drop in sales?


Where did you get the figures from?

Martin



>
> John
> -------
> http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve -Steve Walz website
> http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve/walz/in...
> -Topical postings page.
> Should such a violent person be in a mental ward, behind bars or
> roaming Newsgroups?
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:12:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

PDA sales have essentially been stagnant for the last couple of years.
Generally Worldwide sales have been about 2.5M units per quarter at least as
far back as 2002. These stats are all from Gartner. I have an article posted
about Q304 sales:
http://www.pdainfosource.com/modules.php?name=News&file...

Keep in mind, though, that Gartner is excluding smartphones, even Palm and
PocketPC powered smartphones, from these numbers. So depending on how you
define things you can get the statistics to say whatever you want ;-) But
there is no question that non-smartphone PDA shipments are pretty stagnant
and that the growth is "PDA's" is from increases in smartphone sales.

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com


"Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
news:41a89306$0$61304$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...
> John wrote:
>> They seem to be going down, and down. Some large retailers are not
>> supplying them in stores anymore. Does anyone know the reason for
>> this drop in sales?
>
>
> Where did you get the figures from?
>
> Martin
>
>
>
>>
>> John
>> -------
>> http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve -Steve Walz website
>> http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve/walz/in...
>> -Topical postings page.
>> Should such a violent person be in a mental ward, behind bars or
>> roaming Newsgroups?
>
>
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:48:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>
> Keep in mind, though, that Gartner is excluding smartphones, even Palm and
> PocketPC powered smartphones, from these numbers. So depending on how you
> define things you can get the statistics to say whatever you want ;-) But
> there is no question that non-smartphone PDA shipments are pretty stagnant
> and that the growth is "PDA's" is from increases in smartphone sales.
>
Contributing to the problem is that the PocketPC mfgs aren't PUSHING
their products. Go into almost any store (Office Depot, Office Max,
BestBuy, etc) and you see a dozen or more Palm based pdas but MAYBE two
PocketPC ones if any. Even Frys is now down to a couple of Ipaqs.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
November 27, 2004 9:28:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

<< Contributing to the problem is that the PocketPC mfgs aren't PUSHING
their products. Go into almost any store (Office Depot, Office Max,
BestBuy, etc) and you see a dozen or more Palm based pdas but MAYBE two
PocketPC ones if any. Even Frys is now down to a couple of Ipaqs. >>

Soon there may be no PDA's in that section. Go into some Best Buy's and this
is what you see.


John
-------
http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve -Steve Walz website
http://www.members.aol.com/crucifyself03/Rsteve/walz/in... -Topical
postings page.
Should such a violent person be in a mental ward, behind bars or roaming
Newsgroups?
November 28, 2004 1:32:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Tim Nicholson wrote:
> PDA sales have essentially been stagnant for the last couple of years.
> Generally Worldwide sales have been about 2.5M units per quarter at
> least as far back as 2002. These stats are all from Gartner. I have
> an article posted about Q304 sales:
> http://www.pdainfosource.com/modules.php?name=News&file...

Thanks for the information, which is somewhat different to the OP's "Down
and down" statement.

I wonder what proportion of the sales are simply us junkies upgrading?

Regards

Martin
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:40:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 26 Nov 2004, crucifyself03@aol.comREMOVE (John) pondered an
unfair universe and came up with
news:20041126230301.14202.00001086@mb-m13.aol.com:

> They seem to be going down, and down. Some large retailers are
> not supplying them in stores anymore. Does anyone know the reason
> for this drop in sales?

Other than power users, why does anyone buy them in the first place?

Out of the box can they:

Replace a $100 mp3 player?
Replace a $10 map atlas?
Access the Internet wherever they go?*
Which includes sending text messages?
Email on whatever provider they use outside their home or
office?
Browse the net without hacking their registry to emulate IE6?

The problem with PPCs is that it's assumed the end users will be
people who use it for business, not entertainment or Internet
connectivity. A huge part of its functionality requires a host PC for
software installation or changing functions. It comes with shitty
email software, a throwback web browser that's 3 years behind, text
messenging that's only meant for one service, etc.

And WM9 and 10 are a joke compared to other offerings out there.

Sure it's good enough that we can install software ourselves to
compensate for the out of the box shortcomings and add memory to do
what we want. But the out of the box functionality just isn't
compelling for consumers. Out of the box, it's hardly more than a
glorified day planner.

*Yeah, a lot of models like my Axim come with WiFi, but the airline
lobby uses one provider, Starbucks another, hotels yet another, etc.
PPC phones (which aren't included) have a lot better access than WiFi
because WiFi has yet to be adopted on a large scale and unified for
universal access.

--
StephG
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 4:31:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 30 Nov 2004 03:40:33 GMT, StephG
<dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com> wrote:


>Other than power users, why does anyone buy them in the first place?
>Out of the box can they:
>Replace a $100 mp3 player?

Yes.

>Replace a $10 map atlas?

Yes. How big are your pockets ?
I can fit my PPC in my jeans comfortably.

>Access the Internet wherever they go?*

Yep - when I'm out of range of Wifi I can use dialup over my cellphone
modem. Most UK Virgin mainline trains have wifi available. As do an
increasing number of airline carriers (to pre-empt your next argument
;-)

> Which includes sending text messages?

Sure if you get an XDA or access an internet service for sending
texts.

> Email on whatever provider they use outside their home or
>office?

Yep.

> Browse the net without hacking their registry to emulate IE6?

Yep (use Netfront or Opera). Anyway thats not a big deal, nor the
fault of the PPC, but a problem with the mindset of the web developers
who *still* write sites labelled "IE5 or Netscape 4 required) - this
is 2004, and these people still behave like there are no other
browsers, and certainly none made *this* century.

>The problem with PPCs is that it's assumed the end users will be
>people who use it for business, not entertainment or Internet
>connectivity. A huge part of its functionality requires a host PC for

I don't think that's a fair assumption at all, people buy the devices
because it fills a personal requirement in many cases. I take photos
with mine, and make Skype VoIP calls to the USA from Europe. Nice to
have decent screen size for games too, unlike 3G phones.

>software installation or changing functions. It comes with shitty
>email software, a throwback web browser that's 3 years behind, text
>messenging that's only meant for one service, etc.

This can all be replaced or overcome.

>And WM9 and 10 are a joke compared to other offerings out there.

Then get Betaplayer, PocketTV or 30th player ! Jeez what a load of
bitching - just cause it isn't packaged how does that make the device
useless ? Do you expect to get free DVDs for life with your DVD
player?

>Sure it's good enough that we can install software ourselves to
>compensate for the out of the box shortcomings and add memory to do
>what we want. But the out of the box functionality just isn't
>compelling for consumers. Out of the box, it's hardly more than a
>glorified day planner.

Some people customise their cars and spend lots of time & money doing
so. Others buy a cheap stock model and never do anything other than
standard services. Your point really doesn't hold water, sorry.

>*Yeah, a lot of models like my Axim come with WiFi, but the airline
>lobby uses one provider, Starbucks another, hotels yet another, etc.

Then thats a problem of service provision, which affects everybody,
laptop users included. Your point ?

>PPC phones (which aren't included)

Why not ? What's the distinction ? There is virtually none.

> have a lot better access than WiFi
>because WiFi has yet to be adopted on a large scale and unified for
>universal access.

You've never tried to browse on a 3G phone, have you ?

Cheers - Neil
December 1, 2004 10:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2004 03:40:33 GMT, StephG
> <dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> Other than power users, why does anyone buy them in the first place?
>> Out of the box can they:
>> Replace a $100 mp3 player?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Replace a $10 map atlas?
>
> Yes. How big are your pockets ?
> I can fit my PPC in my jeans comfortably.
>
>> Access the Internet wherever they go?*
>
> Yep - when I'm out of range of Wifi I can use dialup over my cellphone
> modem. Most UK Virgin mainline trains have wifi available. As do an
> increasing number of airline carriers (to pre-empt your next argument
> ;-)
>
>> Which includes sending text messages?
>
> Sure if you get an XDA or access an internet service for sending
> texts.
>
>> Email on whatever provider they use outside their home or
>> office?
>
> Yep.
>
>> Browse the net without hacking their registry to emulate IE6?
>
> Yep (use Netfront or Opera). Anyway thats not a big deal, nor the
> fault of the PPC, but a problem with the mindset of the web developers
> who *still* write sites labelled "IE5 or Netscape 4 required) - this
> is 2004, and these people still behave like there are no other
> browsers, and certainly none made *this* century.
>
>> The problem with PPCs is that it's assumed the end users will be
>> people who use it for business, not entertainment or Internet
>> connectivity. A huge part of its functionality requires a host PC for
>
> I don't think that's a fair assumption at all, people buy the devices
> because it fills a personal requirement in many cases. I take photos
> with mine, and make Skype VoIP calls to the USA from Europe. Nice to
> have decent screen size for games too, unlike 3G phones.
>
>> software installation or changing functions. It comes with shitty
>> email software, a throwback web browser that's 3 years behind, text
>> messenging that's only meant for one service, etc.
>
> This can all be replaced or overcome.
>
>> And WM9 and 10 are a joke compared to other offerings out there.
>
> Then get Betaplayer, PocketTV or 30th player ! Jeez what a load of
> bitching - just cause it isn't packaged how does that make the device
> useless ? Do you expect to get free DVDs for life with your DVD
> player?
>
>> Sure it's good enough that we can install software ourselves to
>> compensate for the out of the box shortcomings and add memory to do
>> what we want. But the out of the box functionality just isn't
>> compelling for consumers. Out of the box, it's hardly more than a
>> glorified day planner.
>
> Some people customise their cars and spend lots of time & money doing
> so. Others buy a cheap stock model and never do anything other than
> standard services. Your point really doesn't hold water, sorry.
>
>> *Yeah, a lot of models like my Axim come with WiFi, but the airline
>> lobby uses one provider, Starbucks another, hotels yet another, etc.
>
> Then thats a problem of service provision, which affects everybody,
> laptop users included. Your point ?
>
>> PPC phones (which aren't included)
>
> Why not ? What's the distinction ? There is virtually none.
>
>> have a lot better access than WiFi
>> because WiFi has yet to be adopted on a large scale and unified for
>> universal access.
>
> You've never tried to browse on a 3G phone, have you ?
>
> Cheers - Neil

Can I just say GPS?
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 1:33:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 01 Dec 2004, "Martin" <martin@scotland.org> pondered an unfair
universe and came up with
news:41ae1a8f$0$52976$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

> Can I just say GPS?

That's the next thing for me. At a minimum $150 investment including
software (for Bluetooth), it's taking me awhile to find what will work
for me the way I want it to work.

At least you can get some PPCs pre-configured with a GPS system, for
those who want something like that out of the box and are willing to
pay $400-500. But adding one takes research and the usual noodling to
get it all the way you want it once you have it.

I've wondered about the "Egps" chips in phones, and whether they'd work
in a PPC without a service provider.

I think another point that I slipped away from, was the whole idea of
"for the price of an iPod, you get all this". It's pretty easy to spend
a lot more than an iPod, and still not have it's single minded
functionality, and you have to work a bit to get it to only a fraction
of that.

And we haven't even touched on the limitations of Active Sync, using
USB 1.1 (what a joke). PPCs just seem to be so...2001 in a 2004 world.

--
StephG
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 10:51:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 02 Dec 2004, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com>
pondered an unfair universe and came up with
news:7p0uq0l1ek118e5s806eudvfidtva5lnr5@4ax.com:

> But lets look at it another way then : This is a business
> opportunity for you - buying and reselling PPCs with all this
> useful software installed, at a premium price.

Well, no. Then I'd have to offer my own warranty. And because a lot of
that software is sometimes buggy, I'd have to support it.

And the premium price thing is the key here. You want to increase the
market, you can't sell at a "premium price".

> Therefore the PPC is shipped with enough software to make it
> functional as an extended PDA device, which is what many people
> use them for (and all they know about !) Overall this helps to
> keep the price out of competition with a laptop or tablet PC.

We all know what PPCs are capable of. But they aren't being advertised
or sold that way, with their full potential. If they were, equiped the
way we set them up, then we wouldn't be talking about "What's happening
to PPC sales?"

I also think there are specialized PDAs that aren't being counted. Such
as some of those portable media players that *do* have hard drives and
hold a bunch of movies. But that's where the future of PPCs should lie,
just as it's where the future of PCs lied (layed?) 6 years ago: as
portable media and communications machines, not glorified calendars.

Right now, they're just being sold as "better than Palm Pilots".

--
StephG
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:35:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Good afternoon...


On 2 Dec 2004 10:24:33 GMT, StephG <dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com>
wrote:

< chop chop >

> And I've got a lot of other stuff on my PPC.
>

wow! you've got a lot of stuff on your ppc that i never thought to put on
mine. apart from the wm2003 bugs mine works great out of the box - and
what it doesn't do for me doesn't seem to be a priority for you.

i guess it's a good thing that out of the box they do the basics without
me having to know a "damn thing about PPCs," and beyond that i can
customize to what i want.


--
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

Eric Schultz
(aka Storkman)

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/storky1
Homepage: http://www.cameron-schultz.ca

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:24:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 06 Dec 2004, "Eric Schultz" <NoSpam@ihatespam.org> pondered an
unfair universe and came up with news:o psilm9xut06ev78@lmlericschu2:

> Good afternoon...
>
>
> On 2 Dec 2004 10:24:33 GMT, StephG
> <dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>< chop chop >
>
>> And I've got a lot of other stuff on my PPC.
>>
>
> wow! you've got a lot of stuff on your ppc that i never thought
> to put on mine. apart from the wm2003 bugs mine works great out
> of the box - and what it doesn't do for me doesn't seem to be a
> priority for you.
>
> i guess it's a good thing that out of the box they do the basics
> without me having to know a "damn thing about PPCs," and beyond
> that i can customize to what i want.

Sure. But the argument isn't really about what works for us. The
argument is about "Why don't PPCs appeal to more people?"

We know there's a whole PPC subculture, with numerous forums.

But the fact is, that PPCs are currently marketed as a "better PIM" and
not "your desktop PC in your pocket". And a lot of people are finding
that their phones make fine PIMs, and so don't need a PPC. They haven't
got a clue that they can do all the things some of us do with our PPCs.

--
StephG
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:46:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <Xns95B77E516D175StephG@130.133.1.4>,
dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com says...
> But the fact is, that PPCs are currently marketed as a "better PIM" and
> not "your desktop PC in your pocket". And a lot of people are finding
> that their phones make fine PIMs, and so don't need a PPC. They haven't
> got a clue that they can do all the things some of us do with our PPCs.

I still get people who are dumbfounded when they ask what I'm reading on
and I tell them a novel (or 3 :-). I have yet to see a phone or smart-
phone with the ability to read an ebook--an absolute requirement for me.

--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:09:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:31:59 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
<neil@nospam.com> scribed:

>On 30 Nov 2004 03:40:33 GMT, StephG
><dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
----snip----
>
>> Browse the net without hacking their registry to emulate IE6?
>
>Yep (use Netfront or Opera). Anyway thats not a big deal, nor the
>fault of the PPC, but a problem with the mindset of the web developers
>who *still* write sites labelled "IE5 or Netscape 4 required) - this
>is 2004, and these people still behave like there are no other
>browsers, and certainly none made *this* century.
>
----snip----
>
>Cheers - Neil

How do you get Opera working on a 2003se PPC? I have the Axim X30 and
it won't install :p  Only for Smartphones it says...
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 8:02:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Do the PPC phones not have ebook readers or are you using a more narrowly
defined term for smartphone?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com


"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1c1e9d17329eff26989840@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <Xns95B77E516D175StephG@130.133.1.4>,
> dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com says...
>> But the fact is, that PPCs are currently marketed as a "better PIM" and
>> not "your desktop PC in your pocket". And a lot of people are finding
>> that their phones make fine PIMs, and so don't need a PPC. They haven't
>> got a clue that they can do all the things some of us do with our PPCs.
>
> I still get people who are dumbfounded when they ask what I'm reading on
> and I tell them a novel (or 3 :-). I have yet to see a phone or smart-
> phone with the ability to read an ebook--an absolute requirement for me.
>
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 4:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:09:47 GMT, Robb <robb969@att.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:31:59 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
><neil@nospam.com> scribed:
>
>>On 30 Nov 2004 03:40:33 GMT, StephG
>><dontspamFrankensoftail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>----snip----
>>
>>> Browse the net without hacking their registry to emulate IE6?
>>
>>Yep (use Netfront or Opera). Anyway thats not a big deal, nor the
>>fault of the PPC, but a problem with the mindset of the web developers
>>who *still* write sites labelled "IE5 or Netscape 4 required) - this
>>is 2004, and these people still behave like there are no other
>>browsers, and certainly none made *this* century.
>>
>----snip----
>>
>>Cheers - Neil
>
>How do you get Opera working on a 2003se PPC? I have the Axim X30 and
>it won't install :p  Only for Smartphones it says...


Yes, I checked. It is smartphone only. Then I hassled them.

Still no suggestion or guideline when it might be available despite
the equivalence of the platforms.

Your turn to hassle them, now ;-)
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:23:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <BPatd.215820$R05.132894@attbi_s53>, tim@pdainfosource.com
says...

> > I have yet to see a phone or smartphone with the ability to read an
> > ebook--an absolute requirement for me.

> Do the PPC phones not have ebook readers or are you using a more narrowly
> defined term for smartphone?

Probably. "Smartphone" refers to the phones running a limited operating
system (usually Symbian), have smaller screens than ppc's, use
navigation buttons or joysticks instead of touch screens, and come with
basic pim , browser, and email applications. Nowhere near as robust as
a PPC phone. The sites that sell/review pdaphones usually have
"Smartphone" and "Pocket PC Phone" as two seperate categories.
Examples: the new MS Razr, Nokia 6620, Blackberry 7100t, Sony Ericsson
K700i.

A few 3rd party applications have been ported over to them--some mapping
programs, eWallet, ListPro, others. I have yet to see a good ebook
reader (such as eReader) ported though--although I may have missed one--
anyone? Also, do any smartphones have flash cards? So far the ones
I've seen have 20-40MB of user memory--not a lot of space for photos and
emails much less ebooks.

Oops--looks like TomeRaider has been ported to Symbian. A bit more than
an ereader but it would suffice. Now about the cards....
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:39:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Tiny ebook reader is available for the SmartPhone, I use this on my SPV C500, you can locate it here: http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=67&ass...

Best regards - Dave

nntp://news.plus.net/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<MPG.1c1f94709acfb513989843@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net>

In article <BPatd.215820$R05.132894@attbi_s53>, tim@pdainfosource.com
says...

> > I have yet to see a phone or smartphone with the ability to read an
> > ebook--an absolute requirement for me.

> Do the PPC phones not have ebook readers or are you using a more narrowly
> defined term for smartphone?

Probably. "Smartphone" refers to the phones running a limited operating
system (usually Symbian), have smaller screens than ppc's, use
navigation buttons or joysticks instead of touch screens, and come with
basic pim , browser, and email applications. Nowhere near as robust as
a PPC phone. The sites that sell/review pdaphones usually have
"Smartphone" and "Pocket PC Phone" as two seperate categories.
Examples: the new MS Razr, Nokia 6620, Blackberry 7100t, Sony Ericsson
K700i.

A few 3rd party applications have been ported over to them--some mapping
programs, eWallet, ListPro, others. I have yet to see a good ebook
reader (such as eReader) ported though--although I may have missed one--
anyone? Also, do any smartphones have flash cards? So far the ones
I've seen have 20-40MB of user memory--not a lot of space for photos and
emails much less ebooks.

Oops--looks like TomeRaider has been ported to Symbian. A bit more than
an ereader but it would suffice. Now about the cards....
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
!