Replacement motherboard...Do i need to fresh install winXP?

I recently had to get my motherboard and video card replaced by the manufacturer. I received back the same exact models of both but was curious if I needed to treat it as a new build when i put it back together. Or can I just put everything back in and start up with the old harddrive and OS install?

Thanks a lot.
14 answers Last reply
More about replacement motherboard fresh install winxp
  1. Windows shouldnt freak out. But I would take the oportunity to do a fresh install after you backed everything up. Clean the pipes!
  2. Thanks for the reply. I will back things up once i get the comp running again and reinstall windows then. Thanks again.
  3. Prozac, what makes you think that? I know its a 50/50 shot, but whats your reasoning?
  4. Would I be safer just using a new HD that I have for a fresh install and have my old HD as a slave so i can get my data off that old HD once its booted? Is it safe to do that?

Thanks for all the help so far!
  5. Quote:
    Prozac, what makes you think that? I know its a 50/50 shot, but whats your reasoning?

Windows freaks on different chipsets unless before the ugprade you boot into safemode and blow out ENUM folder in the Registry. This forces Windows to redetect everything and gives you a better shot. Also, if you are going to IDE to SATA (especially on a RAID controller) Windows will BSOD on boot because it cannot read the new drive.

However in this case, it might be ok. Obviously he cannot blow out ENUM, but since its the exact same hardware it might ok. But I agree with the other poster about a fresh install never hurts.
  6. Yes and no, it's not always easy connecting a HDD with an OS to a system with the same OS.

You Could do so, and at boot make it so the only device that is boot is the fresh drive, in the bios you can disable all other drive from booting (it will still show in windows). Even then it get to be a hassel.
  7. Quote:
    Windows probably won't boot, so you'll need a fresh install.

If it's the same exact motherboard and video card and nothing was wrong with the OS before you had to replace the parts then it should boot right up.
  8. Quote:
    Windows probably won't boot, so you'll need a fresh install.

If it's the same exact motherboard and video card and nothing was wrong with the OS before you had to replace the parts then it should boot right up.

What he said. If everything is exactly the same, Windows doesn't know the difference. Thats like saying if I replace my 6800GT with a new, exact same 6800GT, I have to reinstall the driver for it to work.

No you don't have to. Doesn't hurt to back up your Windows install though. Neither does reformatting from time to time either. If you do reinstall, copy your Windows activation file first so you don't have to worry about it not reactivating with the same CD-Key.

How To do this:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/Miscellaneous/BackupRestoreXPActivation.html
  9. It will boot for sure, I tried that before BUT there will still have a little problem. Totally recommend a fresh install
  10. I had to do the same exact thing. It will boot up, HOWEVER, you may still need to reinstall ALL drivers or even do a fresh XP install. After receiving my replacement MB, my PC booted into Windows but had problems with games, etc. I just decided to re-install XP.
  11. Actually, Windows will be fine since it's same board. I just had a fluke this month going from a dfi infinity rs something with the built in ati graphics to a abit kn8 sli and windows went on its happy little way from first boot. Even no driver conflicts or anything with diff cipsets and a raid0. Talk about weird.
  12. You should not have any problems installing the HD and booting up.

But it is never a bad idea to reinstall windows every so often. If you do, I would put the system together with the old harddrive, boot up, then make a CD with all the newest drivers (MB, Video, Sound, etc), and any Windows XP Service Packs (if Needed).

Remove the old hard drive, put in only the new HD, and reboot and install windows. When everything is installed, then add the 2nd HD (remember to check the jumpers for Master/slave).

Boot up. Now you have all your old information on the D: Drive and you should be good to go. Copy information that you need and eventually, wipe the 2nd HD and start fresh with it.

I hope this helps
  13. Thanks for all the replies. It helps out a lot!
  14. Probly a really simple thing to do is just do a repair install as windows calls it, just coppies over all of the windows files and preserves all the programs and files. Not as good as a fresh install but might help if you want a quick fix.

Its the option after you chose to install winxp, not the first option wich is the recovery console.

Hope This Helps.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Motherboards Systems