need a mod to make my computer more shock resistant

TTSTAB

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
i don't know if this is the right place for placing a question about a mod, if not please direct me to the right forum....
Has anyone else had a problem with there computer being too close to were there is a game of "dance dance revolution" being played? My girlfriend and some friends of mine play DDR at our apartment, but i'm afraid of what it might do to my computer being they are a whole 5 feet from it, and our floor is an old wood floor that easily shakes the house when jumping around. I want to know if there is some sort of easy solution other than building a base with shocks. i can't sit it on anything because the floor bows and so the computer desk isn't level and rocks when they play ddr...
The only reason i am conscerned is that when i started getting into building computers, a little over a year ago, i would always have to check the connections to my ram and cards whenever i moved it around (my roomate was a compulsive remodeler, once every week or two). Since then i have just been extremly careful with moving my computer and kept the moving to a minimum... but this new developement is freaking me out.
any tips or critiscisms are welcome.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hmm..Unless, they get too intensive, I wouldn't be too scared. I mean memory is a pain in the a$$ to get out, for me anyways. And mostly everything else has a good 'ole screw, so...Just what I think.

~Ibrahim~

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Aye, aslong as your DDR doesn't turn into a moshpit or wrestling match.. you will likely be fine. anyhow, you could still mount it to the wall, or hang it from the cieling, maybe get shock absorbant feet like you said.. if that makes you feel better it certainly wouldnt' hurt anything

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Hmm..Unless, they get too intensive, I wouldn't be too scared. I mean memory is a pain in the a$$ to get out, for me anyways. And mostly everything else has a good 'ole screw, so...Just what I think.

~Ibrahim~
that could be dangerous to the hd...
i have a somewhat similar case... i have a subwoofer on the floor, but with it's own vibration it ressonates (or something like that), distorting the sound. What i did is to but a 1 inch thick high density foam below it and it solved. And it's not a base with shocks :p

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
True, true...They have "cases" for hard drives to absorb vibration, but that is vibration coming from the hard drive, not outside of it. What you could do is put some rubber tops on the feet of the case. If there aren't any feet, maybe buy something similar...

~Ibrahim~

P.S. I mean, you could always get a new girlfriend. lol, just kidding, I'm happy for you!

TTSTAB

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
New girlfriend is not an option, sadly :p I would put some foam under it but i'm afraid of the heat keeping in the foam. My case is actualy open and there is a hardrive just sitting on the floor. (should have said that earlier i suppose)
I want to mess around with overclocking my system and i'm thinking that if i take a rather large plexi glass box to cover the outside and just have the components on a board on the floor(not sure what i should use for the board... wood would keep heat... metal?) and take some tubing from my window air conditioner and feed it into the case with an exhuast fan on the other end... yeah it sounds pretty ghetto i guess.... well thanks for the suggestions. i will look into some rubber feet and just get my harddrive in its bay like it should be...

mortice

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I know it sounds like a stupid idea but you should put a laptop HD in your machine. i know they suck and they are slow and expensive but they are built to take more bumping around. i think they have mentioned something about this in a recent article about building a car pc on THG. one or two benifits of using laptop HDs are that they produce less noise and drain less power.

Also id sugest making sure your heatsink is secure. A mate of mine fried an athlon chip a couple of years ago because his wasnt on securely and his creaky metal desk slowly shook the heatsink off. All he heared was a large thump as the heatsink fell off and he could see a little bit of smoke. He was lucky... only a new chip needed and not a motherboard aswell.

good luck

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
i dont think heat should be much of a problem, as the foam will be below the case, and heat tends to go upwards. Also, you said you keep your case open which helps keeping things cool.