Serious Sam 2 Released

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
It's actually mediocre!!! =O

Well... No, it's kinda just as good as the originals underneath it all, but I'm distracted by the lame jumping puzzle, the lack of the promised geomod and the general unoptimized nature of the engine that's supposed to display apx. a LOT of enemies laglessly! =(

But it's just a demo. There's only a handful of demos in recent memory that weren't unoptimized and/or sucked compared to the final version.

"<i>sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love.</i>" ~Nater255

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I try to like games when I can, not hate them, if that's what you mean. ^_^

The gameplay is still strong in SS2's demo, it just leaves a bad aftertaste with the jumping puzzle, missing geomod and unoptimized nature of the game.

"<i>sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love.</i>" ~Nater255

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
A geomod is basically where you can destroy things in the game world environment.

For example, you could blow a hole in a wall to make a new "door".

It was a promised feature in Serious Sam 2, and while it may still be in the full final version, it wasn't in the demo at all.

dhlucke

Polypheme
So far HL2 has the monopoly on that. At least as good as it gets so far. I'd love to see it, but I'm not holding my breath.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Half-Life² did not have a geomod.

It had the next best thing though, being one of the first games to combine heavy physics use with breakable objects. But it's not a geomod.

Red Faction played around with that, if you had enough rockets you could bore your own tunnel, bypass locked doors and such, it was cool!

<A HREF="http://btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=20385#p20385" target="_new"> My Puter </A>

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Yeah, Red Faction multi play was pretty cool because of that. The single play sucked though. Never tried RF2 but I heard it sucked big time.

I think Source has the capability but it's not used yet in HL2. There's some hl2dm/CSS maps that use materials that look like walls, but can actually be blown away.

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>

yeah rf2 sucked the big one because it didnt implement the online multiplayer like the first one, you could only play against bots, the engine was updated a little bit but the lack of multiplayer basically killed the game which is sad because it wasnt too bad of a series.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

Yeah PF I don't know why they allow the game quality to slip so bad and a lot of companies do that, IMO Soldier of Fortune was a great game but SOF2 sucked, the graphics were so bad the wheels on the vehicles looked square, along with some other game crud.

We'd be in great PC gaming shape today if game designers took pride in their work and wanted every game they released to be better than the last one, but unfortunately we the consumer end up with just a few games that are really worth anything and the rest is either play once and sit it on the shelf, or get sick of it and quit playing it because its just not doing it for you!

Damn PF I think I just described the music industry!!! Sell me a CD that has 12 songs but only 2 are worth a crap!!! Sound Familiar!!! :smile:

<A HREF="http://btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=20385#p20385" target="_new"> My Puter </A>

This Demo is way too short!!!!!!! But its enough for me to make my decision to buy it, this games going to definitely be a great one, hopefully it will be on the market to buy soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn PF I think I just described the music industry!!! Sell me a CD that has 12 songs but only 2 are worth a crap!!! Sound Familiar!!!
yup exactly :wink:

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

Serious Sam 2 is released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

<b><font color=blue>"I wonder what was going through Custers mind when he realized he'd led his men into a slaughter?"</font color=blue>
<font color=red>"Sir! Custer was a pussy! You Ain't!"</font color=red></b>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
A very mediocre game using the name of an awesome game, nothing to get really excited. :frown:

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Im just not fond of the constantly running backwards getting stuck in corners thing.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

This time Spitty you are wrong! Got my copy today played Coop online about 7hrs, it absolutely rocks!

<b><font color=blue>"I wonder what was going through Custers mind when he realized he'd led his men into a slaughter?"</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Do you think it's better than the demo?

I also need input from someone who didn't like the demo to really convince me that it's good. :tongue:

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Do you think it's better than the demo?
The demo is lost in this game its so huge, and the demo was such a small segment I really don't know why they released it, other than to give you way more than you thought you were getting.

I also need input from someone who didn't like the demo to really convince me that it's good.
My response to that is! :smile:

You cannot honestly judge the game until you've actually played it!

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
You cannot honestly judge the game until you've actually played it!

That's what they all say :smile: they should have made the demo representative then. It's not about the size of the game, for me anyways. Although I used to enjoy massive opponent attacks (as in Doom and Doom2) I'm now more into FPS games with a more strategic feel or with a fear theme (although I disliked Doom3 big time (who didnt), looking forward to F.E.A.R. though. The demos look like what Doom3 should have been).

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Have you played the demo? It's fairly difficult. You can only take a few bullets before you are lying dead.

On the other hand the graphics and graphical effects are stunning. BUT having played the CoD2 demo as well over the weekend that wowed me as well. So far looks like the developers haven't dropped the ball with the sequel.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Serious Sam games have always been FUN to play, thats what always set it apart from other games, and even today is still being played hot and heavy online after all these years!

Mac you quoted my statement "You cannot honestly judge the game until you've actually played it!" and answered with, "Thats what they all say", You are always so fact oriented! You haven't played the game at all, so don't complain about SoD anymore OK, play the game and then comment, otherwise you don't know what you're talking about!

If you play the game and don't like it fine, tell us all about what you don't like or prefer, but how do you even know you don't like a game you haven't even played just because you prejudged it from a demo, [You did actually play the demo right?], and don't know if it will take any strategy to get through this game at all, even an opinion needs facts to base it on, I wonder where I got that from? Maybe You!

I wouldn't reccommend this game to anyone if it was crap, but I am playing the game and its definitely not crap! So I am reccommending this game to anyone that just wants to have some fun playing a game, as far as the Serious Sam series of games this is no disapointment!

I don't know why I'm wasting time defending a game that doesn't need defending to someone that hasn't even played the thing yet, I'm going to play some more now, Bye!