power calibration area is full?

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Seems you're trying to copy a sual layer DVD on a single layer one. Remember, 99% commercial DVD are dual layer, so you have to compress them if you want to burn them on a regular single layer DVD-R

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Yep, sorry I've read in a hurry and I wrote a nonsense!
You are right, that error signals that the unit cannot track a particular zone used for calibrating the laser power, so it refuses to burn to avoid damages and injuries. Tipical of low-quality or damaged discs.

Also, if you are using windows XP and you insert a dirty/damaged, or Pink girlish disk, the system will change the way it reads disks (called PIO mode). This can result in Power Calibration errors. The way to check if this is causing some issues is to visit the Device manager and expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers line. Here, select the IDE channel that your CD/DVD writter is on, and right click -> properties. Select the Advanced Settings tab and make sure your device is using Ultra DMA Mode. If not change it and reboot.

If it was using PIO mode, it was liking causing an issue.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
This issue exist only if you have a non Burn-Proof or Underrun Protection writer, that is a writer older than 5 years.
Buffer underrun protected writers are able to work correctly also in PIO4.

I have a newish Plextor DVD-RW 16x burner. But as a tech, I have seen this issue with many different burners, new and old. The software however has always been Nero (any version), but thats because im polarized in my experience.

Either way, it affects new equipment too.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Never seen this on any writer (and I usually have UDMA disabled for compatibility with assembler writter utilities) anyway I dodn't tested all burners on the market, I think it could be some that fails even if it's hard to me.