"MSI Laptops: Turion X2 vs Centrino Duo"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
After a little more than 6 months of presence on the market, Core Duo has us already to show all its capacities as well on the level of the performances as of autonomy. The potential buyers not having made their choice yet are extremely likely to await the arrival of the future generation of processors dual core for mobile platforms: Core 2 Duet, code name Merom. There are strong chances so that it is even more powerful and even less greedy in energy but he is likely to be sold a little expensive, which is already the case of Core Duo compared to Turion 64 x2. Moreover, this last is largely enough powerful to ensure you of many hours of production in all kinds, especially in a portable computer. Concerning Turion 64 x2, I must say that I expected all the same something of a little more, how to say, more “exotic”, more “new”. It is in fact nothing whole. It insipid, without any savour and especially left a little late after Core Duo what makes think of “heated”. Certe, the performances are there and it is about a very good processor for mobile platform the more so as the policy of consistent AMD to surround itself by many manufacturers of chipsets, WLAN, and others allows the manufacturers and assemblers a greater flexibility in their choices of components, but nothing made there, we have the unpleasant impression of “already considering”…

The principal interest of Turion 64 x2 at present remains the assumption of responsibility of the instructions 64 bits (from where the presence of the label Vista Capable) but especially its price like very often at AMD since compared with Core Duo, Turion 64 x2 is less expensive

Read the whole review and make your own conclusions. 8)

http://www.cowcotland.com/article149-1.html

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I'm blocked whats the general consensus? Main thing I'd like to find out is power and battery life. Performance is notebooks is always limited by the hdd and vid card anyway. I have a 600M which I'd like to replace because the battery life is not the greatest thing in the world.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
1) the comparison is between T2300(1.6GHz) and ML-56(1.8GHz).
2) the chart bars are fake. They are not starting from 0%, so compare only the numbers.
3) there is no performance/watt comparison

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Isn't that the shi77iest Duo in existance?
yeap, there is no more shittiest made yet. and there is only 1 model better than ML-56, the ML-60 Forgive me, I worded it incorrectly. I don't really like Core Duo, it sucks. Cre 2 Duo, however, does not.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
After a little more than 6 months of presence on the market, Core Duo has us already to show all its capacities as well on the level of the performances as of autonomy. The potential buyers not having made their choice yet are extremely likely to await the arrival of the future generation of processors dual core for mobile platforms: Core 2 Duet, code name Merom. There are strong chances so that it is even more powerful and even less greedy in energy but he is likely to be sold a little expensive, which is already the case of Core Duo compared to Turion 64 x2. Moreover, this last is largely enough powerful to ensure you of many hours of production in all kinds, especially in a portable computer. Concerning Turion 64 x2, I must say that I expected all the same something of a little more, how to say, more “exotic”, more “new”. It is in fact nothing whole. It insipid, without any savour and especially left a little late after Core Duo what makes think of “heated”. Certe, the performances are there and it is about a very good processor for mobile platform the more so as the policy of consistent AMD to surround itself by many manufacturers of chipsets, WLAN, and others allows the manufacturers and assemblers a greater flexibility in their choices of components, but nothing made there, we have the unpleasant impression of “already considering”…

The principal interest of Turion 64 x2 at present remains the assumption of responsibility of the instructions 64 bits (from where the presence of the label Vista Capable) but especially its price like very often at AMD since compared with Core Duo, Turion 64 x2 is less expensive

Read the whole review and make your own conclusions. 8)

http://www.cowcotland.

com/article149-1.html

Ah yes, Mr. 9 inch and his fud. Well, here we go again and i'll sum it up lightly for you. Intel is more expensive because once again, they make a complete integrated platform. Everybody knows or should at least know by now, that Intel chipsets are not cheap. Why is this? Because they're good and IMO better than nVidia or ATI's chipsets. (we're talking mobile platform)

Face it, Intel has the best mobile platform out there right now and will continue to do so into the future from what I'm seeing from AMD. Nothing compares to an Intel platform as it has been shown time and time again that Intel chips work best when paired together. When someone buys a complete Intel setup, they're buying reliability and performance that of which, AMD currently does not have in the mobile market.

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
For power consumption, on page 8 they list the battery life for three typical tasks. Assuming the 8 cell battery is equal to about 64 whr, we get average power consumption of:

S271 (Turion)
DVD: 26.3W
Office: 24.5W
Full: 44.1W

S262 (Core Duo)
DVD: 21.8W
Office: 18.3W
Full: 33.7W

On the other hand it is not the same with the sound harmful effects which emanate from these 2 portable computers. The S271-W1 makes a true noise of turbine since that is necessary with impressive variations whereas the S262-W1 offers a completely acceptable noise level, to see very appreciable.

The power consumption is also supported by the noise levels, where the S271 must run its fans at much louder levels to cool the hotter Turion X2.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
For power consumption, on page 8 they list the battery life for three typical tasks. Assuming the 8 cell battery is equal to about 64 whr, we get average power consumption of:

S271 (Turion)

S262 (Core Duo)

On the other hand it is not the same with the sound harmful effects which emanate from these 2 portable computers. The S271-W1 makes a true noise of turbine since that is necessary with impressive variations whereas the S262-W1 offers a completely acceptable noise level, to see very appreciable.

The power consumption is also supported by the noise levels, where the S271 must run its fans at much louder levels to cool the hotter Turion X2.

Ye core duo is impressive for batt life. My dad's 6400 is dual core,slightly faster than 600m, has a widescreen and has a faster hdd. I dont think can compare power-wise until they finally get 65nm out the door.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
9-Inch,

You should not be quoting an article to support your claims of AMD superiority which concludes that:

Regarding the Turion 64 x2, I must say that I was expecting something (how should I put it?) a little more “exotic”, more “new”. It is in fact nothing of the sort. It's insipid, without any flavor, and overcooked, considering it came out 6 months later than Core Duo. The word "reheated" comes to mind.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Hey, there is no need to be so offensive on 9nm. This is not his first, nor the last time to post a crap. Anyway, he said nothing about which one is good and which one is not. He said that we should make our own conclusions. So we can talk about the subject and the subject is not 9nm, no matter if some dosn't like him. Right?

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Hey, there is no need to be so offensive on 9nm. This is not his first, nor the last time to post a crap. Anyway, he said nothing about which one is good and which one is not. He said that we should make our own conclusions. So we can talk about the subject and the subject is not 9nm, no matter if some dosn't like him. Right?

He asked me to make my own conclusions.

I did. Based on the article and the countless others he has posted. It isn't a question of like or dislike - yuou expressed this, I didn't.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
And, what kind of probelms do you have with that?

None. Don't try and tell me not to do something when you then go and do it somewhere else.

Anyway, the subjects concerned would be clearly delighted if they see they are being discussed even in a bad light so I can't be bothered anymore - subject closed, have the last word if you want, etc, etc.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

Yea, I mean, it's in plain English, let's read it ourselves and make our own conclusions. :roll:

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

S271 (Turion)

S262 (Core Duo)

Check this out:
temps.jpg

I really don't know how to interpret this other graph, but it clearly shows that Turion is consuming less power than the Core Duo (anyone correct me if I'm wrong)
1.jpg

With the sight of these results one could very naturally think that Core Duo with its TDP of 31W is less greedy than its counterpart Turion 64 x2 with its 33W although the difference is not enormous all the same. But one should not be mistaken there, as I had indicated it to you to the beginning of this article, the processor is not the greediest element of a mobile platform and it is also necessary to take account of the other elements like the chipset, the graphics chip and the WiFi chart. In this case we can say that chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 is obviously greedier than Intel I945GM. But is it at least more

TYhe other graphs clearly shows the Turion laptop leading the other benchmarks, so there's no arguing here.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Ah yes, Mr. 9 inch and his fud. Well, here we go again and i'll sum it up lightly for you. Intel is more expensive because once again, they make a complete integrated platform. Everybody knows or should at least know by now, that Intel chipsets are not cheap. Why is this? Because they're good and IMO better than nVidia or ATI's chipsets. (we're talking mobile platform)

Face it, Intel has the best mobile platform out there right now and will continue to do so into the future from what I'm seeing from AMD. Nothing compares to an Intel platform as it has been shown time and time again that Intel chips work best when paired together. When someone buys a complete Intel setup, they're buying reliability and performance that of which, AMD currently does not have in the mobile market.

Yeah, sure.

Is Core Duo 64-bit ready? I'm sad not

Is Core Duo Windows Vista capable? I'm sad not

Is Core Duo Future-proof? I'm sad not becasue Merom will kill it once it sees the light of day. :)

Keep trying fanboy. :p