OC suggestions

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Hello......First of all I am new here. I'm retired and obsessed with building and Overclocking computers. Big surprise huh.....

I have the system in my sig below. I've tried a lot of different approaches to overclocking it and the best I can get is 1000fsb which puts my 520 @3.5ghz and my memory @667mhz. Anything above 1000fsb and it is either unstable or won't post.

The way I got to 1000fsb stable was by staring the memory at 533 and linking it to the fsb and using optimal timings. Then when I couldnt OC any highter I tightened the timings to where they are in my sig.

I thought it would have been better to start the memory at 400 and go up from there but when I set the memory at that speed, it won't post. I know the memory supports 400mhz. I have run it at that speed on another MB.
Any ideas what the problem is with 400mhz memory on this board?
Am I missing somthing?
By the way.....temperatures are absolutely not an issue. The Katana 775 keeps it cool all the time.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

>>Any ideas what the problem is with 400mhz memory on this board? <<

Your board uses DDR2 667 mhz. RAM. PC3200 DDR is different and will not run or fit on your board. When you install your ram into your MB it is not starting a 400 mhz. As far as clocking higher than 3.5 with your 2.8 see if your BIOS has a setting that will will let you lock the PCIE at 33 1/3. Hope that helps. Thata's all I can tell from the info you gave me.

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006

Your board uses DDR2 667 mhz. RAM. PC3200 DDR is different and will not run or fit on your board. When you install your ram into your MB it is not starting a 400 mhz. As far as clocking higher than 3.5 with your 2.8 see if your BIOS has a setting that will will let you lock the PCIE at 33 1/3. Hope that helps. Thata's all I can tell from the info you gave me.

OK.....I'm not sure where all that came from. I don't whether I should ignore it or respond.

I never said anything about PC3200 DDR. I have DDR2 533....the board supports 533 and 667 ddr2. LOL......I realize that you can't cram DDR into a DDR2 slot. However my memory will run at 400mhz and it has the SPD for it. I have run it in another board that way.

I also realize that you need to lock the PCIE at 100mhz and not 33.

Hopefully someone with a grasp on reality will reply so I can get this bad taste out of my mouth from my first posting.

OK.....I'm not sure where all that came from. I don't whether I should ignore it or respond.

I never said anything about PC3200 DDR. I have DDR2 533....the board supports 533 and 667 ddr2. LOL......I realize that you can't cram DDR into a DDR2 slot. However my memory will run at 400mhz and it has the SPD for it. I have run it in another board that way.

I also realize that you need to lock the PCIE at 100mhz and not 33.

Hopefully someone with a grasp on reality will reply so I can get this bad taste out of my mouth from my first posting.

Try some Efing listerine. Yo don't know the first Efing thing your trying to ask about. Maybe it'll give you hope, you Efing idiot.

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Sorry.........I didn't realize this was a forum for children. I will go somewhere else to communicate with adults on the topic.

Sorry.........I didn't realize this was a forum for children. I will go somewhere else to communicate with adults on the topic.

>>Thanks in advance for any and all help!<<

When you write something like this, think. That system you have is a POS. Use some of your life savings and get laid. It may be the start of something good. Like finding your efing brains.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
sorry that your first response was such an odd one. but anyways,

im wondering if the board your using supports 400mhz ram spd, if its a 533/667 board it might not want to go that slow.

whats the voltage your running your ram on?

did you use the auto setting when turning it down to 400? or did you have the timings set manually?

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
wow badge, why are you so angry bro?

so you mis read what he was asking, big deal, you dont need to bash a new forumer just because your embarassed.

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Yeah....who is that guy and why do they let him post on here. I reported him 3 times so far. So I hope they will remove him soon.

I have the ram voltage at the default of 1.8v. I tried it with the SPD setting and I tried different manual settings too. I suppose it might just not like the 400 mhz speed. But the board supports a FSB of 533 so I'm thinking it should work.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
well i really dont have anything to add on the 400mhz deal, but.

since your ram is at the default voltage of 1.8, you can raise that up a notch or two, that will help you to get above 1000mhz and stay stable.

the same as raising the FSB on a cpu once you reach the limit, youve got to raise the voltage,

same thing with ram.

8)

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
OK.....I can buy that. Another question since I have an adult responding now LOL.

The memory is Corsair VS 533 DDR2........it is currently at 667. Should I keep letting it go up with the FSB after I raise the volts? So far the chips are cool to the touch.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The memory is Corsair VS 533 DDR2........it is currently at 667. Should I keep letting it go up with the FSB after I raise the volts? So far the chips are cool to the touch.

Keep on pushing that babe. Run some test (prime is great) Once you start getting unstable you know that you've hit your limit.

Good luck with the overclock and welcome here...........

ps. just ignore badge must be having pms :lol:

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Well I put the ram volts up to 1.85 and the fsb up to 1020 and it booted up and ran prime to 2mill twice with no errors. I was never able to get that far before.

Thank you all.......at least those of you who are mature LOL. I'm going to push it up a little higher and report back if you are interested.

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I meant to say I ran super Pi up to 2 mill.
Now I have pushed up to 1040fsb and I had to push the ram volts up to 1.9 to get it stable on super pi.

I have a video editing program that removes commercials from Mpeg files and I run 4 instances of that at once for my own homemade stress tests. I will do that once I get up to 1066 stable with super pi.

How far can I safely take that ram voltage on Corsair VS DDR2?

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
When I tried to go to 1060fsb it wont finish posting and wont let me in the bios. So I used that trusty little cmos jumper and here I am again at 1040FSB. I finally broke down and set the vcore off of auto.....about time huh LOL..........I put it on 1.35 since it has been hovering around 1.25 on auto. I'm gonna try the 1060 again. I'll let you know

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Well I am sorry to report that after I complained about the ignorant treatment from badge, one of the forum moderators told me "you are new here, you need to learn how to hang".

So.....since they tolerate ignorant little children in this forum, I will have to look for somehwere else to contribute. Thank you to those of you who communicated like adults.

I don't need to learn to hang anything at my age........toms hardware is off my list for good.!!

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
That little moron......I mean moderator...actually had the nerve to tell me that I had to earn respect on this forum. What a complete idiotic way to conduct themselves.

He seemed to think what Badge did was fine .......until I earn his respect. What a flaming Joke!!!!

Their hardware reviews are all bought and paid for too. Nothing of any value here!!!

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a moderator. He could be right when he said “chill out dude” but saying that you should earn respect is too much 8O . Unfortunately these forums (like most others and every where else in this mess what we call life) are filled with trolls so learning to chill out is good.

Anyway good luck with your overclocking endeavours and sorry to see you go.

Cheers :)

p.s. What you are wrong about is the quality of TH I’ve been reading (almost daily) for the last 8 years and boy did they have their share of great articles. Sometimes they led me to think that these guys (who make their money from ad revenue) have balls of steel to publish some of the articles that they did.
:twisted:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Yeah....who is that guy and why do they let him post on here. I reported him 3 times so far. So I hope they will remove him soon.

I have the ram voltage at the default of 1.8v. I tried it with the SPD setting and I tried different manual settings too. I suppose it might just not like the 400 mhz speed. But the board supports a FSB of 533 so I'm thinking it should work.
Yeah, he's a few bricks short of a load. Last week, a guy from Pakistan had cooling probs. as the ambient temp was 45C. badge freaks on the guy telling him to go looking for Bin Laden(every other word a curse). He needs counseling, or a good spanking from his papa. :wink: