scuff marks from exit rollers - Epson 2200

The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper on an
Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
color. It may be the increased fragiligy of the MediaStreet ink (but they
claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They supply
"exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the scuffing,
but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (45x6)
simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular or
envelopes).

Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
straight without exit rollers?

Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?

--
- Alan Justice

BURT

Sounds like the famous Epson "pizza cutter" wheels. Open the lid and look
in the feed area where the paper comes out after printing and you will see
serrated wheels on top of the print. They are known to cause faint marks in
dark uniform areas. I have been told that these wheels are absolutely
unnecessary, but I wouldn't swear to it! I believe you can find a fix for
it on the MIS ink website. It involves removing the bar that carries these
wheel guides, putting a thin washer under the bar at each screw area to hold
it up a bit higher, and replacing the bar. I had the same problem in my
Epson Stylus 900. Before I thought to do this fix I decided to move on to
the Canon i960 for better prints and good, cheap non-OEM inks. Your 2200 is
newer technology and a much better printer than my ES 900 was, and I am not
suggesting a change. If you don't find the answer on the MIS site you might
also google the problem (might find it under pizza wheels Epson printers or
Epson printer guide wheels) and see what you come up with. I like the
solution I mentioned as it will give you a little more clearance and will
probably solve the problem.

"Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper on
> an
> Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
> color. It may be the increased fragiligy of the MediaStreet ink (but they
> claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They
> supply
> "exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the
> scuffing,
> but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (45x6)
> simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular or
> envelopes).
>
> Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
> straight without exit rollers?
>
> Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:54:28 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Alan
Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote:

>The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper on an
>Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
>color. It may be the increased fragiligy of the MediaStreet ink (but they
>claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They supply
>"exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the scuffing,
>but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (45x6)
>simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular or
>envelopes).
>
>Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
>straight without exit rollers?
>
>Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?

Try setting the paper thickness setting to thick?

The "pizza wheels" come before the exit wheels, and are closer together.
The scuffs are from the exit wheels (two apposing). I can inactivate some
of them, but with all out, the paper doesn't feed right.

--
- Alan Justice

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Sounds like the famous Epson "pizza cutter" wheels. Open the lid and look
> in the feed area where the paper comes out after printing and you will see
> serrated wheels on top of the print. They are known to cause faint marks
in
> dark uniform areas. I have been told that these wheels are absolutely
> unnecessary, but I wouldn't swear to it! I believe you can find a fix for
> it on the MIS ink website. It involves removing the bar that carries
these
> wheel guides, putting a thin washer under the bar at each screw area to
hold
> it up a bit higher, and replacing the bar. I had the same problem in my
> Epson Stylus 900. Before I thought to do this fix I decided to move on to
> the Canon i960 for better prints and good, cheap non-OEM inks. Your 2200
is
> newer technology and a much better printer than my ES 900 was, and I am
not
> suggesting a change. If you don't find the answer on the MIS site you
might
> also google the problem (might find it under pizza wheels Epson printers
or
> Epson printer guide wheels) and see what you come up with. I like the
> solution I mentioned as it will give you a little more clearance and will
> probably solve the problem.
>
> "Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
> > The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper
on
> > an
> > Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
> > color. It may be the increased fragiligy of the MediaStreet ink (but
they
> > claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They
> > supply
> > "exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the
> > scuffing,
> > but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (45x6)
> > simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular
or
> > envelopes).
> >
> > Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
> > straight without exit rollers?
> >
> > Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?
> >
> > --
> > - Alan Justice

Does this problem happen with the R series Epson Printers as well.

Why do you hear about fewer problems with Canon printers on this NG?

Ed Ruf wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:54:28 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Alan
>Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote:
>

>>The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper on an
>>Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
>>color. It may be the increased fragiligy of the MediaStreet ink (but they
>>claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They supply
>>"exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the scuffing,
>>but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (45x6)
>>simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular or
>>envelopes).
>>
>>Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
>>straight without exit rollers?
>>
>>Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?
>>

>Try setting the paper thickness setting to thick?

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:58:13 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers measekite
<measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Does this problem happen with the R series Epson Printers as well.
>
>Why do you hear about fewer problems with Canon printers on this NG?

Sorry to burst your bubble. I've had no such problems with either my 1270
or my 800.. No clogs, no pizza wheels, nothing.
----------
http://EdwardGRuf.com

> Does this problem happen with the R series Epson Printers as well.
> Why do you hear about fewer problems with Canon printers on this NG?

Probably because they are going to more sensible places to ask questions
rather than being shot down in flames on here.

If you were to take five minutes out of your life of making sarcastic
comments and pushing Canon printers as being the best thing since sliced
bread, you'll find there's more than enough people having problems with the
pizza wheels on Canon, HP and other printers too

e.g.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=35434&forum_id=56

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/498976.html

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-20,GGLD:en&threadm=ant182054bc8fBGj%40dinkla.demon.nl&rnum=33&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcanon%2Bpizza%2Bwheel%26start%3D30%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-20,GGLD:en%26selm%3Dant182054bc8fBGj%2540dinkla.demon.nl%26rnum%3D33

At least part of the problem seems to be that I am using MediaStreet ink,
which costs 20% as much as Epson (after a $300 investment in their
cartridges etc). They know of the problem. But apparently, it can happen
with Epson inks too.

--
- Alan Justice

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>>Does this problem happen with the R series Epson Printers as well.
>>Why do you hear about fewer problems with Canon printers on this NG?
>>

>Probably because they are going to more sensible places to ask questions
>rather than being shot down in flames on here.
>
>If you were to take five minutes out of your life of making sarcastic
>comments and pushing Canon printers as being the best thing since sliced
>bread, you'll find there's more than enough people having problems with the
>pizza wheels on Canon,

There are no pizzas with or without extra cheese on the Canon. Besides,
I like slice bread. I never ate a printer with peanut butter and jelly.
:)

Alan Justice wrote:

>At least part of the problem seems to be that I am using MediaStreet ink,
>which costs 20% as much as Epson (after a $300 investment in their
>cartridges etc). They know of the problem. But apparently, it can happen
>with Epson inks too.

What company makes the ink that is sold under the media street label?

>--
>- Alan Justice

>>Does this problem happen with the R series Epson Printers as well.
>>
>>Why do you hear about fewer problems with Canon printers on this NG?
>>
>>Ed Ruf wrote:

>on an

>they

>supply

>scuffing,

>or

>>>Try setting the paper thickness setting to thick?

The 2200's design didn't fully take into account the slower drying speed
of Ultrachrome inks with some papers. As a result, the image can be
damaged by the rollers as it leaves the printer.

There are a number of devices available (home brew to commercial) that
lift part of the roller mechanism to reduce the pressure on the print as
it leaves the printer when these circumstances develop.

Art

Burt wrote:

> Sounds like the famous Epson "pizza cutter" wheels. Open the lid and look
> in the feed area where the paper comes out after printing and you will see
> serrated wheels on top of the print. They are known to cause faint marks in
> dark uniform areas. I have been told that these wheels are absolutely
> unnecessary, but I wouldn't swear to it! I believe you can find a fix for
> it on the MIS ink website. It involves removing the bar that carries these
> wheel guides, putting a thin washer under the bar at each screw area to hold
> it up a bit higher, and replacing the bar. I had the same problem in my
> Epson Stylus 900. Before I thought to do this fix I decided to move on to
> the Canon i960 for better prints and good, cheap non-OEM inks. Your 2200 is
> newer technology and a much better printer than my ES 900 was, and I am not
> suggesting a change. If you don't find the answer on the MIS site you might
> also google the problem (might find it under pizza wheels Epson printers or
> Epson printer guide wheels) and see what you come up with. I like the
> solution I mentioned as it will give you a little more clearance and will
> probably solve the problem.
>
> "Alan Justice" <spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote in message
>
>>The exit rollers cause scuff marks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper on
>>an
>>Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
>>color. It may be the increased fragiligy of the MediaStreet ink (but they
>>claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They
>>supply
>>"exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the
>>scuffing,
>>but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (45x6)
>>simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular or
>>envelopes).
>>
>>Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
>>straight without exit rollers?
>>
>>Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?
>>
>>--
>>- Alan Justice

This problem was the result of Epson introducing some new papers after
the printer was produced, which dried more slowly with the Ultrachrome
inks. To the best of my knowledge, they resolved it with the R800 and
probably the R1800 printers.

Color pigment inks are more difficult to make, to make paper for, and to
keep from clogging, which is probably why Canon stays away from them.
However, they have some advantages.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> The 2200's design didn't fully take into account the slower drying
> speed of Ultrachrome inks with some papers. As a result, the image can
> be damaged by the rollers as it leaves the printer.
>
> There are a number of devices available (home brew to commercial) that
> lift part of the roller mechanism to reduce the pressure on the print
> as it leaves the printer when these circumstances develop.

What I am saying is not to be a matter of fact but posed as a question.
It appears that there are more design problems with Epson Printers,
based on the things I read here, than HP or Canon.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> This problem was the result of Epson introducing some new papers after
> the printer was produced, which dried more slowly with the Ultrachrome
> inks. To the best of my knowledge, they resolved it with the R800 and
> probably the R1800 printers.
>
> Color pigment inks are more difficult to make, to make paper for, and
> to keep from clogging, which is probably why Canon stays away from them.
> However, they have some advantages.

Maybe as time goes on and technology improves the differences between
the dye and pigment based inks will narrow as far as the problems
encountered. The the dye prints with their better quality and vividness
will be the better choice. Maybe Canon is riding that horse.

> Art
>
> measekite wrote:
>
>> Does this problem happen with the R series Epson Printers as well.
>> Why do you hear about fewer problems with Canon printers on this NG?
>>
>> Ed Ruf wrote:

>>> Try setting the paper thickness setting to thick?

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:28:26 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers measekite
<measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Maybe as time goes on and technology improves the differences between
>the dye and pigment based inks will narrow as far as the problems
>encountered. The the dye prints with their better quality and vividness
>will be the better choice. Maybe Canon is riding that horse.

Not if permanence is of importance. Do you paint your house with pigments
or dyes?
----------
http://EdwardGRuf.com

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> The 2200's design didn't fully take into account the slower drying speed
>> of Ultrachrome inks with some papers. As a result, the image can be
>> damaged by the rollers as it leaves the printer.
>>
>> There are a number of devices available (home brew to commercial) that
>> lift part of the roller mechanism to reduce the pressure on the print as
>> it leaves the printer when these circumstances develop.
>

> What I am saying is not to be a matter of fact but posed as a question.
> It appears that there are more design problems with Epson Printers, based
> on the things I read here, than HP or Canon.

One other reason you don't hear so much of this problem with HP printers, is
simply that lots of HP printers don't have these pizza wheels after the ink
head in the paper path.

But, Google for "HP roller marks" and you'll see that the HP design of
pushing the paper through on large rollers has more than its fair share of
paper-marking problems.

Ed Ruf wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:28:26 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers measekite
><measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Maybe as time goes on and technology improves the differences between
>>the dye and pigment based inks will narrow as far as the problems
>>encountered. The the dye prints with their better quality and vividness
>>will be the better choice. Maybe Canon is riding that horse.
>>

>Not if permanence is of importance. Do you paint your house with pigments
>or dyes?

I don't paint my house! ;-)

>----------
>Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
>http://EdwardGRuf.com

What you say may be true, however, it needs to be put into context.

Epson has been very innovative in their designs from the very beginning,
from the use of a piezo actuator, to the introduction of high fade
resistant pigmented colorant inks, to addressing the fine art market
with several dozen paper types. Each of these moves has brought the
whole industry forward in terms of quality. Each involve risk, since
often things are introduced for printers already on the market.

Also, there is a segment of Epson owners who used their printers heavily
and demandingly for fine art reproduction, and they are a demanding lot,
so we probably hear more complaining from them, as well.

There are certain design elements that IMHO, could and should be altered
to improve functionality and cost in potential servicing. But leading
edge deign often make more demands and expectations, and for Epson the
expectations tend to be quite high, and some of their clientele are well
educated in inkjet image production, so any slip up is one too many.
Other companies may be able to get away with some of this, due to
easier implementation of older known technology (Dye inks for instance)
and a less demanding public.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> This problem was the result of Epson introducing some new papers after
>> the printer was produced, which dried more slowly with the Ultrachrome
>> inks. To the best of my knowledge, they resolved it with the R800 and
>> probably the R1800 printers.
>>
>> Color pigment inks are more difficult to make, to make paper for, and
>> to keep from clogging, which is probably why Canon stays away from them.
>> However, they have some advantages.
>

> Maybe as time goes on and technology improves the differences between
> the dye and pigment based inks will narrow as far as the problems
> encountered. The the dye prints with their better quality and vividness
> will be the better choice. Maybe Canon is riding that horse.

Maybe, but they better get on the horse rather than run in back of it.
Some of the ink formulations they are using are technically obsolete or
at least very old and rejected by some manufacturers. They need to show
a better formulated dye ink.

Art

I have recently bought the R1800 and have printed a couple of dozen
A3+ borderless with no lines visible anywhere in any colours.

Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message news:<2at8e.32633$yV3.21460@clgrps12>...
> measekite wrote:
>

> > Arthur Entlich wrote:
> >
> >> This problem was the result of Epson introducing some new papers after
> >> the printer was produced, which dried more slowly with the Ultrachrome
> >> inks. To the best of my knowledge, they resolved it with the R800 and
> >> probably the R1800 printers.
> >>
> >> Color pigment inks are more difficult to make, to make paper for, and
> >> to keep from clogging, which is probably why Canon stays away from them.
> >> However, they have some advantages.
> >

> > Maybe as time goes on and technology improves the differences between
> > the dye and pigment based inks will narrow as far as the problems
> > encountered. The the dye prints with their better quality and vividness
> > will be the better choice. Maybe Canon is riding that horse.
> >

> Maybe, but they better get on the horse rather than run in back of it.
> Some of the ink formulations they are using are technically obsolete or
> at least very old and rejected by some manufacturers. They need to show
> a better formulated dye ink.
>
> Art

I'd expect Epson redesigned the outport area of the printer so this
problem didn't reappear. The Ultrachrome inks are very slow drying on
some media.

Art

John Worsfold wrote:

> I have recently bought the R1800 and have printed a couple of dozen
> A3+ borderless with no lines visible anywhere in any colours.

I've only used the Epson Premium Glossy Photo papers. Do you think there
would be less of a scuffing if I switched to another paper?

Is there any way to slow up the printing, so there is longer to dry?
(Increasing time between sheets wouldn't work.)

--
- Alan Justice

> This problem was the result of Epson introducing some new papers after
> the printer was produced, which dried more slowly with the Ultrachrome
> inks. To the best of my knowledge, they resolved it with the R800 and
> probably the R1800 printers.
>
> Color pigment inks are more difficult to make, to make paper for, and to
> keep from clogging, which is probably why Canon stays away from them.
> However, they have some advantages.
>
> Art
>
> measekite wrote:
>
> > Does this problem happen with the R series Epson Printers as well.
> > Why do you hear about fewer problems with Canon printers on this NG?
> >
> > Ed Ruf wrote:

> >> Try setting the paper thickness setting to thick?

Unfortunately, those exit rollers do serve a purpose. By propping them up,
the paper is not held or advanced during about the last 1/2", so it goes
askew.

--
- Alan Justice

> [...]
on
> >>an
> >>Epson 2200 printer. They are parallel lines, most visible on a uniform
> >>color. It may be the increased fragiligy of the MediaStreet ink (but
they
> >>claim Epson has acknowledged that problem for their inks, too). They
> >>supply
> >>"exit flags" to hold up the top exit rollers. This eliminates the
> >>scuffing,
> >>but then the paper comes out crooked at the end, and small sheets (45x6)
> >>simply stop feeding. I've tried changing the paper thickness (regular
or
> >>envelopes).
> >>
> >>Is there a solution, such as a way to keep the paper going and going
> >>straight without exit rollers?
> >>
> >>Is it a MediaStreet problem, or do Epson inks also behave this way?

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:36:28 GMT, "Alan Justice"
<spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote:

>I've only used the Epson Premium Glossy Photo papers. Do you think there
>would be less of a scuffing if I switched to another paper?

Yes. Use matt or satin (Semi gloss) papers. The inks take forever to
dry on glossy and when they do they bronze anyway.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:36:28 GMT, "Alan Justice"
><spam@spamspamspam.spam> wrote:
>

>>I've only used the Epson Premium Glossy Photo papers. Do you think there
>>would be less of a scuffing if I switched to another paper?
>>

>Yes. Use matt or satin (Semi gloss) papers. The inks take forever to
>dry on glossy and when they do they bronze anyway.

My Canon IP4000 has not had any problem of this kind. It produces
beautiful glossy prints. So far I have not experienced any fading but
time will tell.

> --
>
>Hecate - The Real One
>Hecate@newsguy.com
>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

TRENDING THREADS