Sam

Is is better to put your PC on standby where the monitor
and hard drive shuts down or just leave it on all day. I
thought the constant starting and shutting down
of "standby" is harder on a machine then letting it on
constantly. Have any ideas?

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

i leave my computer on all day (but turn the monitor off to save energy and
keep it healthy). turning it on and off isn't great, which is why i leave it
on.

In news:3aa001c4a575$6bf1ec70$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Sam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Is is better to put your PC on standby where the monitor
> and hard drive shuts down or just leave it on all day. I
> thought the constant starting and shutting down
> of "standby" is harder on a machine then letting it on
> constantly. Have any ideas?

Questions like this are asked periodically here (although they
are not about Windows XP and are really off-topic). They get no
real answers, just a bunch of strong opinions. There are those
who tell you to turn off the computer when not using it, and
those who never turn it off. My guess is that whichever you
choose doesn't matter very much.

Personally, I take a middle ground. I power on in the morning
when I awake, and power off when I go to bed.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Here is a good article to read.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm