  • My Documents
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
September 28, 2004 1:14:50 PM

How can you delete the "My Documents" folder. This folder
is very annoying since everything seems to go into it. I
have tried to delete it but can't. I have a "My
Documents" folder in the "C" drive that I set up and like -
just need to get rid of the windows generated one.

Can you delete the "Documents and Settings" folder that
windows create?

Is there a way around them?

Thank you very much

More about : documents folder

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:37:02 PM

Q. "Can you delete the "Documents and Settings" folder
and the "My Documents" folder.

A. No, both are system folders and cannot be deleted.

You can remove the "My Documents" icon from the Desktop
by right-clicking on the Desktop and selecting:
Properties > Desktop 'tab" > Customize Desktop and unchecking
the "My Documents" check box.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Larry" wrote:

| How can you delete the "My Documents" folder. This folder
| is very annoying since everything seems to go into it. I
| have tried to delete it but can't. I have a "My
| Documents" folder in the "C" drive that I set up and like -
| just need to get rid of the windows generated one.
|
| Can you delete the "Documents and Settings" folder that
| windows create?
|
| Is there a way around them?
|
| Thank you very much
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:47:38 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:14:50 -0700, Larry wrote:

> How can you delete the "My Documents" folder. This folder
> is very annoying since everything seems to go into it. I
> have tried to delete it but can't. I have a "My
> Documents" folder in the "C" drive that I set up and like -
> just need to get rid of the windows generated one.

You can redirect the system My Documents to the folder you've created.
Right click on a My Documents icon and select Property. You'll see a Move
button on these pages. May be the best of both worlds: creating/using a
folder in a location that you prefer and conveniently having various save
dialogs using it as well.

After redirecting, the system created My Documents folder will remain under
Documents and Settings\<your account> but it will be empty.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Instead of letting "everything" go into it. Set up several folders under the
My Documents Folder.

1. One for your word processing documents, named Word. MS Word can be set to
proceed to that folder when you choose Open from the File menu.

2. One for programs that you download, named My Download Programs.

3. One for each major category of documents, i.e., Excel, Publisher,
Photoshop, etc. This certainly makes it easier to find.

!