Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I just had to RMA an Enermax Liberty for use with my P4C800E-D as it has no -5v output which my MOBO requires. I am replacing a 2 ½ year old Purepower 430. I want a very reliable modular PSU at 500 Wts or higher. I am not running SLI and my old 430 watt PSU seemed to handle things OK but I feel it was marginal therefore the upgrade.
I am asking for suggestions. I am looking for quality and reliability and am not concerned about price for a PSU. I really like this Enermax but alas it will not work with my MOBO.
Suggestions please for a good PSU that will work with an ASUS P4C800ED and therefore has the -5v and hopefully modular cables?

Thanks.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
I thought all ATX-2.0 PSUs had -5 as part of their specs?

I'm pretty sure that the one you had was a one off dud. They wouldn't produce an entire line of ATX PSU that weren't ATX.

I don't think anyone's motherboard would work without -5, but I may be wrong.

Just go with a well known brand, Enermax, Antec, Tagan, etc.

Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Nope, this series has no -5V. It is listed as such in the manual. The issue is when reading the specs on line you really have to dig to find that. You have to download the pdf and read it to realize that there is no -5V. Many of the latest MOBO's do not need it but I am not ready to build a totally new rig for about six months.
This rig will go to my Wife so I want this last upgrade to be extremly reliable.