Processor Choice

dumb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
Another thing, if I were ONLY to choose between the Intel Pentium D 830 and the Intel Pentium 4 640 (3.2G) HT processors, which do you think should I buy?

My PC usually have an Antivirus application, an anti-spyware application and yahoo messenger on the background, some office applications, and utilities like winrar and softwares like Adobe Photoshop. Im not really a hardcore gamer or into game softwares but I do occasionally in my spare time.. =)

Really need your advice on this.. Thanks again!!!

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I would choose the Pentium D 830. It consistently performs better than the Pentium 4 640 and is the same price.
Everything will run more smoothly with the dual core. The dual core will be slightly higher power consumption though.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
The Pentium D 940 is only a few dollars more than the 830 and has double the cache, is 200MHz faster, and lower power consumption.

Why do you only have the 640 and the 830 as options?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Your question is simple. The 830 is the better processor of the 2 choices. No doubt. Good Luck!

Well Let's explain to him what He's missing out. Hyperthreading sucks! because you get (one core)and a virtual peice of shytt. Dual core You get 2 Cores no virtual peaces of shytts. Whats better ..??? DIng Ding DInG!! the Dual Core YAY :D :D ! i like pie and cotton candy :) . I recommend and i know you now know that Dual Core will be better. Than a NetBurstHyperthreading peice of shytt which can split up and slap around your data in the end not actually worth the money which could ahave gotten you a PD 830yay :D cookies and milk!!

dumb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks guys for the reply.

The reason I dont go for the 940 is that it isnt available here yet. Technolgy seems to be forgeting to visit our place. Well anyways, considering I would go for the Pentium D 830, what do you think is the best motherboard I should use if the choices were only from Intel, Foxconn, MSI and Asus brands?

I thought I could use my existing Foxconn 925XE7AA but when I asked it in another thread, someone said it aint possible coz that motherboard doesnt support dual core (correct me please if that is wrong).[/quote]

Again, the reason why these are only the brand choices is because it only whats available here..

Thanks for the help!

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Looking quickly at it, you could get the Intel 945, 955, 965, 975 motherboards. I would recommend the 965 or the 975 because they support the Core 2 Duo, so in the future when you want to upgrade it is a possibility. Other than that, make your choice based on the speed of RAM that you need and types of features.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Looking quickly at it, you could get the Intel 945, 955, 965, 975 motherboards. I would recommend the 965 or the 975 because they support the Core 2 Duo, so in the future when you want to upgrade it is a possibility. Other than that, make your choice based on the speed of RAM that you need and types of features.

If your going the Intel route, make absolutely sure the board you buy supports core 2 duo, otherwise your non-upgradeable when it comes out. However I hear those bards cost well over $200, so is it worth it? Then paying another $500 for conroe? I guess thats up to how much money you have.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
However I hear those bards cost well over $200, so is it worth it?
Can you provide link so we can see the price and the features that come with that expencive board. I am looking for a decend mainboard for my next rig.
Then paying another $500 for conroe? I guess thats up to how much money you have.
The Core2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 4MB L2 will cost $315 and will offer better performance than the Pentim D 965(999$) and the Athlon FX-62(1050$).

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
People need to start realizing that processor prices are not going to be tied so close to what Intel and AMD are charging distributors for them. The Conroe will NOT be $315 and the FX-62 is STILL NOT available for $1050. Supply and Demand. Conroe's supply will be limited, demand will be HIGHER than Intel has seen in some time. With large corporate customers taking a VERY LARGE percentage of the new chips, I suspect it will be hard and expensive to get a Conroe anytime this year. Although the dual core Pentiums currently available are well priced, has anyone noticed how CRAZY their single core higher frequency chips still are? What's up with that?

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
if your MB have 925 chipset... 640 is the only choice of yours... for the use you mentioned... 640 would be fine... you can also get a little bit cheaper 630 and OC it to 660 levels...
Or get a whole new set... as 925 chipset is your bottleneck at this point...

People need to start realizing that processor prices are not going to be tied so close to what Intel and AMD are charging distributors for them. The Conroe will NOT be $315 and the FX-62 is STILL NOT available for $1050. Supply and Demand.

People are dense sometime.

Expect a 15% to 20% markup for retail sales.

E6600 in lots of 1000 = $315...........Retail Price $362 - $378
E6700 in lots of 1000 = $530...........Retail Price $610 - $636

The FX-62 is $1200 at Newegg.com.

The FX-62 is $1111 at mwave.com, but they are out of stock.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Maybe, but the demand for the FX-62 is going to be MUCH less than the demand for the much hyped conroe. The FX-62's were going for closer to $1400 for the first few weeks, and could see an abnormally inflated price for conroe for a long time if supply doesn't ramp up quicker than expected. We will all have to wait and see.

However I hear those bards cost well over $200, so is it worth it?
Can you provide link so we can see the price and the features that come with that expencive board. I am looking for a decend mainboard for my next rig.

She's referring to the 975X motherboards that are currently available for sale from $177 to $279. Those are not the 975XBX motherboards required for Conroe.

Expect 975XBX mobos to be in the same price range. Intel will also be releasing a more mainstream motherboard using the 965 chipset. I'm guessing the average price will be around $150. ATI and nVidia are also going to release chipsets for Conroe which will hopefully drive down prices a little bit.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I've heard the 965 actually is performing better than the 975 anyway. Wouldn't know first hand, though. MB prices have become crazy, I hope they go down soon.

Maybe, but the demand for the FX-62 is going to be MUCH less than the demand for the much hyped conroe. The FX-62's were going for closer to $1400 for the first few weeks, and could see an abnormally inflated price for conroe for a long time if supply doesn't ramp up quicker than expected. We will all have to wait and see.

I would expect that Conroe will be priced somewhat high for the first two weeks. But afterwards prices should settle down to the 15% - 20% markup range.

Regarding shortages, I'm sure all available capacity is being used to produce Conroe. Then again their OEM quotas are higher than AMDs. Having a prolonged shortage of Conroe will hurt Intel though, since many people are waiting to build a new rig around them (including myself). If they can't deliver enough then people will switch to the AM2 Athlon 64.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Intel stated it was only expect 20% of their shipping cpu's to be Conroe by the END of the Year. And a new P4 spin just went into production. Got to flush them out of the system somehow. I don't know the math, but I somehow doubt there will be much left of 20% production after the big boys get their take.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
1) The 830 is a better CPU than the 640, especially in multitasking.

2) You need a board with the 945 chipset to use a dual-core CPU

3) Your board might work with the dual-core, but I doubt it.

4) HyperThreading isn't sh!t. I can tell the difference between my old P4 540 and A64 3700+ when I'm multitasking (iTunes, Firefox, The Sims 2, and sometimes more).

RichPLS

Champion
Intel stated it was only expect 20% of their shipping cpu's to be Conroe by the END of the Year. And a new P4 spin just went into production. Got to flush them out of the system somehow. I don't know the math, but I somehow doubt there will be much left of 20% production after the big boys get their take.

That 20% production of just Conroe's tho will outnumber AMD's entire line of desktop processors shipping...
So 20% is a f'n lot in perspective...

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Another thing, if I were ONLY to choose between the Intel Pentium D 830 and the Intel Pentium 4 640 (3.2G) HT processors, which do you think should I buy?

there is a reason 830 has a higher number than 640 - it is better :D

NexxusBits

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Good Sir,

Just go to the manufacturers websites and peruse the different options.
MSI, Intel, Asus, and even Foxconn are all great choices. I've had great luck with MSI. Good value overall. 3 Year Warranty. But pick the board right for your needs, don't base it on someone elses opinion. Form Factor, Price, Features and so on are all up to you.

Good Luck