Gaming Monitor ??

Thinking of buying a LCD Monitor for gaming . There r two i'm looking at both are Viewsonic .
1) VP 2130b 21.3 in. 8ms Gray to gray, 16ms black to white. also has Ratio 1000:1, Brightness 300cd, 1600x 1200

2) VX924 19in. 3ms gray to gray, 5m white to black. but ratio is only 550:1, Brightness is 270cd, VGA 1280x 1024 ??? Dose the ratio and brightness matter much for gaming ???

3)Or should i just stay with my 19in. CRT and wait for better tec.

9 answers Last reply
More about gaming monitor
  1. I would get the 21.3" monitor. It has a LOT more pixels and is less likely to have issues.

You'll have a tough time telling the difference between any of the optical spec's.

Response time of 8ms is pretty good for an LCD and going faster pushes some types of displays farther than they should so monitor makers start getting tricky with both their design and how they specify performance.

Contrast ratio over 400:1 is really hard to see. You need to sit in a dark room with the display as bright as it goes and look at it with nothing but black on the screen to tell the difference. As soon as you actually display stuff on the monitor, and blind yourself, the difference between 550:1 and 1000: 1 disappears. Contrast is white/black so you get really high numbers as black approaches zero. It looks like you're getting a lot but the difference is almost impossible for the eye to measure.

Likewise, it's hard to tell the difference between 270 and 300 nits but brighter monitors are easier to read in normal lighting conditions and either should be a big step up from your CRT.
  2. Unless you are stuck for space, I'd keep the CRT. I find the detail sharper on CRT's.

If you are going to go for an LCD then consider how good your graphics card is. The 21.3" has a higher resolution but will this slow your games down. The 19" has a good response time, probably suited more for gaming.
  3. My trusty 19" CRT recently died and after a little reasearch I replaced it with a Viewsonic VX922. It has a 2ms advertized refresh rate and I find the colour great. I use it mainly for CSS and watching a fair bit of DivX video and haven't seen a ghost yet. I was really pleased with the purchase. I was able to get it for $280 Canadian as well which was a definate bonus.
  4. I use a BenQ monitor - the one in my signature. It has a 1680 x 1050 widescreen resolution (16:10), 16.7m colors, and an 8ms response time, and during intense UT2003 action I haven't seen any ghosting yet. Then again, you're coming from a CRT so you may notice it more than I would. I've always owned LCD displays, but I've used CRTs for years.

The BenQ is great, but make sure your video card can drive 1680 x 1050 pixels, because LCDs still don't scale to lower resolutions nearly as well as CRTs.
  5. Damn, costs approx. £250 in England.

Whats it like compared to your old CRT?
  6. I used a 17" CRT for a few years and upgraded my system about a year ago and with it I got one of the 17" NEC LCD's with 8ms response time. I believe 8ms was fairly new about 1-1.5 years ago so I couldn't afford the 19". :( Between the two I didn't notice too much of a difference, for plug 'n play the CRT gave a sharper image but with some tuning the LCD turned out pretty nice. I've gamed on the LCD for over a year now, and haven't noticed any ghosting. I've played FarCry, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, UT2004, Battlefield 2, and some others. If you get the right monitor you can game on it and probably wont notice too much of a difference imo.
  7. Quote:
    Thinking of buying a LCD Monitor for gaming . There r two i'm looking at both are Viewsonic .
    1) VP 2130b 21.3 in. 8ms Gray to gray, 16ms black to white. also has Ratio 1000:1, Brightness 300cd, 1600x 1200

2) VX924 19in. 3ms gray to gray, 5m white to black. but ratio is only 550:1, Brightness is 270cd, VGA 1280x 1024 ??? Dose the ratio and brightness matter much for gaming ???

3)Or should i just stay with my 19in. CRT and wait for better tec.

I would stay with CRT. Too many issues to consider when going to a LCD, and a good LCD costs too much. With a CRT you just dont have to worry
  8. I agree. Unless you have some pressing need to get an LCD, stick with what you have. Although, a sexy LCD is l33t h0tn3$$.
  9. I currently use the VX724 Viewsonic model, which is just a 17 inch version of the VX924 and it has been a great monitor. At first I was a little worried about the switch to LCD to CRT, but now that I have I'm very pleased.

Some of the downsides to LCD over CRT that I’ve noticed are that LCD has a native resolution, therefore running anything other than the native resolution causes reduced quality. With CRTs any resolution looks sharp and clean. Also ghosting due to response time isn't a problem with CRTs. I almost forgot to mention dead pixels on LCD screens (I don’t have any on mine but I know there are plenty of people who do have them).

LCD benefits over CRT are that color and brightness is much better on LCD monitors. If a DVI connection is used you can get a very clean fully digital image with no distortion (lines drawn on the screen are straight, not with slight curves). Also if my memory is correct, LCD monitors don't get images burned into the screen like CRT monitors do if they sit to long with the same image displayed. Another benefit is the small foot print LCD monitors have.

If I were to pick one of the two displays that you are looking at, I'd go with the VX924. It has a lower native resolution (1280x1024) so when you play games the picture looks sharp but won't put too much strain on your video card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming LCD Monitor Monitors Components