VoIP provider with dial in number in the US w/o monthly fee

Last response: in Networking
May 9, 2005 11:03:22 PM

Hi,

you can open an account and get a German dial in number at
http://www.sipgate.de/ for free. The dial out fees in this case aren't too
attractive, but you can upgrade to an account with monthly fee and very
attractive per minute rates.

I'm looking for a similar provider in the US, but it seems that everyone
charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in number. Same is true for
"Skype-in". Does anyone know one w/o such a fee? I'm willing to pay a
one-time setup fee.

Christian
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:03:23 PM

news:D 5o54s$giv$1@online.de...

http://www.sipphone.com/
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:03:23 PM

"Christian Barmala" <christian.barmala@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:D 5o54s$giv$1@online.de...
> Hi,
>
> you can open an account and get a German dial in number at
> http://www.sipgate.de/ for free. The dial out fees in this case aren't
> too attractive, but you can upgrade to an account with monthly fee and
> very attractive per minute rates.
>
> I'm looking for a similar provider in the US, but it seems that everyone
> charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in number. Same is true for
> "Skype-in". Does anyone know one w/o such a fee? I'm willing to pay a
> one-time setup fee.
>
> Christian

You can get a free US number from www.ipkall.com that can be routed to
most SIP systems, I have one that routes to my UK Sipgate account
(www.sipgate.co.uk)

This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

Ivor
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:59:46 AM

"Pepperoni" <wastebasketbot@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Christian Barmala" <christian.barmala@gmx.net> wrote:

>> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in
>> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?
> http://www.sipphone.com/

http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone numbers
that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive calls
from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"

I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.

Christian
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:59:47 AM

"Christian Barmala" <christian.barmala@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:D 5offk$2ug$1@online.de...

> "Pepperoni" <wastebasketbot@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "Christian Barmala" <christian.barmala@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in
> >> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?
> > http://www.sipphone.com/
>
> http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone numbers
> that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive calls
> from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"
>
> I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.
>
> Christian

Check out http://www.glophone.com/
their premium plans give you a number reachable from PSTN. The number will
be 4 digits longer than traditional, but quite functional. (if you use your
PC for VOIP) I believe there is a setup fee, then your paid minutes are
good for <I think> 2 years, and are refillable.

If you use a hardware solution, we will need to keep looking.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:21:58 AM

> This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
> code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
> it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at
least some sort of fee.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:48:04 AM

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
> > code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
> > it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!
>
> What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at
> least some sort of fee.

There are services available to access SIP numbers through PSTN.

For example. Sipphone has an agreement with PointOne for this service:
http://sipphone.com/access/
"This is the latest list we've gotten our hands on of free PSTN to SIP
access numbers. Dial the number, and listen to the prompt. Enter 1 for
SIPphone. Next, when asked for your IM id, enter the SIPphone number you
wish to call."

Other numbers are available from Telesthetic

Pepperoni
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:17:32 PM

"Christian Barmala" <christian.barmala@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:D 5offk$2ug$1@online.de...

> "Pepperoni" <wastebasketbot@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "Christian Barmala" <christian.barmala@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial
in
> >> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?
> > http://www.sipphone.com/
>
> http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone
numbers
> that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive
calls
> from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"
>
> I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.

www.ipkall.com can forward PSTN calls to just any provider in the world
(either free or not). But the number can be cancelled if it's not used for
more than one month.

Enzo
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:25:37 PM

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
>> code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
>> it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!
>
> What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without
> at
> least some sort of fee.

No catch that I have yet found. Only drawback for some might be the area
code 360 (Washington State) but if that doesn't bother you it works fine.
They do reserve the right to withdraw the number if it isn't used in any
30 day period but I've not had that happen yet.

Ivor
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 2:00:22 AM

Hi,

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at least some sort of
> fee.

I knew someone would object this. That's why I mentioned the free personal
dial-in number from sipgate.de in my initial posting.

"Pepperoni" <wastebasketbot@hotmail.com> wrote:
> There are services available to access SIP numbers through PSTN.

Not exactly what I initially wanted, but a very interesting alternative.

> For example.
> http://sipphone.com/access/
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Telesthetic

Does someone know other, international access numbers?

Christian
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:03:16 PM

>> This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers
>> are area code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where
>> you want it <g> but it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!
>
> What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't
> come without at least some sort of fee.

It is entirely possible for some local telco (Local Exchange Company or
LEC) to offer free incoming service, say, transferred to, say, a voice
mail account or perhaps VOIP, doing so based on settlement rules if
they can get enough incoming traffic to justify the cost of their
Internet connectivity or (voice mail system operation) plus some
profit.

Realize that for every call that is terminated into a number, the LEC
for that line is allowed to collect a fee from MCI/ATT/Sprint (the long
distance carrier or Inter-exchange carrier or IXC) if it is a long
distance call. If it is local and terminated from another LEC, the
sending LEC pays a small fee to the receiving LEC which is charged
against return calls from the receiving LEC, and at the end of the year
at settlements time, the two carriers determine who had more outgoing
calls and that carrier pays the other one.

Actually, settlements are generally done on almost all interconnections
between carriers and local telcos. Basically if you call out using
MCI/ATT/Sprint or some other IXC, you are billed by them for your calls
(or the local phone company pays the IXC at a discount then bills you).
What really goes on is that your IXC and your LEC calculate the number
of minutes of incoming calls from the IXC to the LEC's phone lines, add
to that the number of minutes of outgoing phone calls from the LEC's
phone lines, charge the incoming and terminating charge (let's say
that's .002 or 2/10c per minute), then from that, subtract the price
per minute the IXC is charging for calls placed onto its network (let's
say that's .05 per minute.)

If the total amount of incoming and terminating call charges exceeds
the amount of charged minutes the IXC has received on its network, the
IXC would pay the LEC the difference. If the total amount of incoming
and terminating charges is less than the amount of charged minutes the
IXC has received on its network, the LEC pays the IXC the difference.

In some cases the LEC buys the IXC's recievables at a discount then
bills the customer directly. In some cases the LEC will include the
bill from the IXC as part of its bill, charge the IXC a fee for doing
the billing for them, and then pay the IXC as the customer pays the
LEC.

Where the LEC is either charging the IXC for billing or the LEC is
buying the IXC's receivables, settlements are being used. If the IXC
is billing directly, then settlements would not be used.

In any case, incoming calls to a carrier are worth something to that
carrier, as a revenue source. What it basically comes down to is most
LECs want more money for lines so they decide that getting only
incoming termination charges is not enough.

In some cases some IXCs would pay very large customers (universities
with dormitories, for example) to be allowed to directly terminate
into their facilities because they can pay less to terminate there than
what they would pay to an LEC even after settlements.

Settlements can be done as often as they choose, hourly, daily, weekly,
monthly or once a year.

Under the old Bell System, AT&T and its local operating companies did
settlements once a year, because it was basically all paper numbers as
AT&T essentially owned all of the local companies and thus any money
changing hands was from one part of the company to the other.
!