Simply a "Budget" Rig.

adrenalin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
This will be used most for gaming and multitasking.

Things that I already own:

120gb ata HD
CD-RW drives

Things that I plan to buy:
Pentium D805
Kingmax 1GB DDR2 667mhz
AsRock 775 Dual-VSTA
XFX 7600 GT KO
Antec NSK4400 w/ 380W PSU included

I'm planning to buy all the parts from
www.canadacomputers.com and
www.tigerdirect.ca

This comes out to be close to $600CDN without tax.
Is this a good deal?

I was also wondering if the Antec PSU that comes with the case is good enough to run all the parts. IF possible, i am planning to O/C.
*ONLY if possible.*

Also, i would appreciate if you could build a rig for me in the links above. (if it's that horrible)
At below $600.

Thanks alot.

*EDIT*
This is actually my first time buying my own built-pc so, dont get at me like crazy ;)

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
maybe light OC.. I'm not sure about your MOBO..the limiting factor, but as you oc and power peaks you may reach the limit of a measly 380watt psu quicker. But who knows..it may be enough.. I'm guessing you won't get over 3.2ghz, but that's a shot in the dark really.

adrenalin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
maybe light OC.. I'm not sure about your MOBO..the limiting factor, but as you oc and power peaks you may reach the limit of a measly 380watt psu quicker. But who knows..it may be enough.. I'm guessing you won't get over 3.2ghz, but that's a shot in the dark really.

Heres the link to my MOBO
http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm
I picked this because it was cheap,
and also is conroe, pci-ex,agp,ddr,and ddr2 compatible.

In the site, it says "Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses "
:S what's that mean??

I will be thankful with just hitting a 3.0ghz with the cpu.
Fast enough for vista and CS1.6 hah:)

adrenalin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Don't worry about the fixed bus thing. It's a pretty standard feature nowadays. Before, when you OC'ed, your PCI Bus Speed would get affected and it would limit your OC.

Man, these FSB/OCing stuff is soo confusing, even after reading some of them.

So, is my rig not that bad?? or can i get a better deal somewhere?
How about the 380 PSU? Strong enough??

ahhhhhh.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
i would search for a more powerful antec case/psu combo...maybe a sonata II..deals are to be had all over, wait for good rebates on case combos, or both seperately. Good brands could be fortron,seasonic,antec..next lesser thermaltake..avoid sparkle,deer,el crapo and the like

xplicit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
As "jimytheassassin" said you are going to be probably using that 380 Watt rating up pretty fast with the setup your going for. Might want to up that to a 430 or 450 one just to be on the safe side.

Although if your going for the 7600 GT might as well add a few more bucks into the pot and get atleast a 7800 card if your really much of a gamer.

Not a bad computer build for that price range actually. Although I've heard some people saying that the CPU your going for heats up rather in the high ranges without adaquate cooling. Try newegg.com alot of the times they seem to have better prices than tiger direct, at least to me.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
This will be used most for gaming and multitasking.

Things that I already own:

120gb ata HD
CD-RW drives

Things that I plan to buy:
Pentium D805
Kingmax 1GB DDR2 667mhz
AsRock 775 Dual-VSTA
XFX 7600 GT KO
Antec NSK4400 w/ 380W PSU included

I'm planning to buy all the parts from
www.canadacomputers.com and
www.tigerdirect.ca

This comes out to be close to $600CDN without tax.
Is this a good deal?

I was also wondering if the Antec PSU that comes with the case is good enough to run all the parts. IF possible, i am planning to O/C.
*ONLY if possible.*

Also, i would appreciate if you could build a rig for me in the links above. (if it's that horrible)
At below $600.

Thanks alot.

*EDIT*
This is actually my first time buying my own built-pc so, dont get at me like crazy ;)

My 2 cents: Avoid TigerDirect like the PLAGUE. They are really bad. Use NCIX.com and MemoryExpress.com instead.

Now to your actual build:

D805 builds are way overhyped and overdone especially for first time builders. Do yourself a favour and just get a decent processor like the D930 to start with. You can overclock the D930 nicely as well, and you gain the benefit that it does not totally suck at stock. You gain 800MHz FSB and double the cache as well. 930 is only around $80-90 more than D805.

Jimy is right too- based on the parts you chose- you cannot expect a very good overclock anyway.

adrenalin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Try newegg.com alot of the times they seem to have better prices than tiger direct, at least to me.
Thanks, but...

Newegg = U.S
Me = Canada

:( :( :(
This is my sub comp, and my main comp will be hooked with conroe and geforce8 when its coming out.

I only play counter-strike 1.6 so, no worries i guess.
just the damn psu/case.
Any more suggestions?? :D :D

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Try this:

2x512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 Memory ($117.30)
AMD Athlon 3200+ s939 Processor ($125.45)
Asus A8N-E Motherboard s939 ($113.85)
eVGA Geforce 7600GT ($206, $176 after Mail-In Rebate of $30)
Antec Sonata II Case with 450W power supply included

Edit: Just realized you're gonna buy a Conroe later, in that case, you should probably just stick with your choice because you'd be able to use the DDR2-667 on your Conroe build even though DDR2-800 is better than DDR2-667 memory but it is pretty good. And about the 7600GT, I really would not recommend that for Counter strike 1.6 but on the other hand, you can use it on your Conroe and wait till DX10 cards come out before buying a better card which is highly recommended. You should use the Case+Power supply combo that I recommended though.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
in my opinion, PSUs that come with cases usually suck and dont last very long 2 months tops, i recommend a Antec 500W from newegg.com everything else looks good.

adrenalin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Try this:

2x512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 Memory ($117.30)
AMD Athlon 3200+ s939 Processor ($125.45)
Asus A8N-E Motherboard s939 ($113.85)
eVGA Geforce 7600GT ($206, $176 after Mail-In Rebate of $30)
Antec Sonata II Case with 450W power supply included

Edit: Just realized you're gonna buy a Conroe later, in that case, you should probably just stick with your choice because you'd be able to use the DDR2-667 on your Conroe build even though DDR2-800 is better than DDR2-667 memory but it is pretty good. And about the 7600GT, I really would not recommend that for Counter strike 1.6 but on the other hand, you can use it on your Conroe and wait till DX10 cards come out before buying a better card which is highly recommended. You should use the Case+Power supply combo that I recommended though.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with your comment.
But i just have some questions i have to ask.

This computers is going to be my sub computers (I am planning to get two)
One Main (conroe, geforce 8)
One Sub (this one)

Why is 3200+ a better choice than a D805?
In gaming performances probably, but in the long run, wouldn't D805 be more valuable since it's a dual core?

Counter-Strike was out way back in like 6 years ago.
My friend's 9800pro w/ xp 3200+ can run it 100+ fps constant.
So I dont see why 7600GT which is still considered a mid-end card cannot handle it. :):):)

I think I am going to use this DDR2 Ram because that way, its cheap ($99CDN) and at least a little bit overcloable than the 3200.

Correct me if im wrong. :)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Right now- dual core does not help in many applications, other than those written to taken advantage of it.

The D805 at stock is a complete horrible processor with a crippled FSB, thats why it is so cheap. The 3200+ will destory the 805 at most any task unless its grossly overclocked.

The problem is- there is no guarantee you will be able to overclock it, then lets not even talk about the excessive heat and power requirements.

If you are first time builder, overclocking is probably not a great idea for you, and the D805 sucks for gaming at stock. If you want to go Intel look at the D930. However, current Gen, especially in games, AMD beats Intel at all levels, and sometimes by a pretty good margin. What I would honestly do is wait until Conroe comes out and the new price cuts, and pick up an D930 if you want Intel or a X2-3800 for around $150 and build a system around that.

Use the 7600GT at least, 7900 if you can go for it.

Lastly, NEVER buy from Tiger Direct. They are awful.

adrenalin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Lastly, NEVER buy from Tiger Direct. They are awful.[/quote]

LOL Ive seen complaint about TG like 120394857230948570 times.
Its funny.
It must be like the worst of all. hah

Like Duck has said,,, in July 23rd. Theres going to be a definite price cuts for both AMD and Intel. Then, id get either D920 or X2 3600+... stupid of me... heh

Ill be builidng a rig then, with that price range. :)
and comment me on that one later on too, if possible..

thank you:)