Sign in with
Your question

How can I make this old setup future-proof?

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2006 5:24:55 AM

I was thinking about building my own computer over the summer but I figured I'd wait until AM2 or whatever since that is what everyone suggested. I had a whole list ready on what I was going to buy but now it is probably outdated. I need your help... to make suggestions on what I could do to this outdated setup so that I can upgrade it down the road without having to buy a whole other computer. I want to last me maybe 5 years, or as long as possible.

Here's the current (old) list I made:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W Power Supply

ASUS A8N5X ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

eVGA Geforce 7900GT 256-P2-N563-AX Video Card

The case was this:

Ever Case ECE4502 Black/ Silver Computer Case

Other parts:

Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 B7G-00004 Black 5 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse

AG Neovo F-417 Black 17" 4ms (GTG) LCD Monitor

Keytronic MODEL #E03600QUSUSBB-C Keyboard

WACOM Graphire4 USB Tablet

Logitech 980240-0403 Black Desktop Microphone

Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker

AOpen Cobra AW850 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

SILVERSTONE FN121 120mm Case Cooling Fan x 2

Altogether this would cost me about $1500.

But what do I need to do to make it "FUTURE-PROOF" or to make upgrading it easy? Do I need to make it AM2 or whatever?

More about : make setup future proof

June 28, 2006 8:05:58 AM

well it is pretty good except for a few things
the cpu will not do at all!
you should DEFENITELY get a dual core if u want it to be future proof
if you really want an amd get am2 for sure
i recommend getting an intel core2duo when released in just under a month as they will be very good price and performance.
the graphics card is very good now but it will have to updated every few years.
im not sure if your motherboard has sli but getting a m/b with sli will make it more future-proof
everything else is good.
June 28, 2006 8:16:37 AM

Quote:
well it is pretty good except for a few things
the cpu will not do at all!
you should DEFENITELY get a dual core if u want it to be future proof
if you really want an amd get am2 for sure
i recommend getting an intel core2duo when released in just under a month as they will be very good price and performance.
the graphics card is very good now but it will have to updated every few years.
im not sure if your motherboard has sli but getting a m/b with sli will make it more future-proof
everything else is good.
Agreed. Their really isn't such a thing as future proof in computers. With Vista coming out in 1H '07,
Direct X 10 video cards will be coming out. Therefore, even the best video cards out now, will be behind the 8 ball..very quickly. 5 years in computer age is very old. Hope for 2-3 years, before needing upgrades. GL :) 
Related resources
June 28, 2006 9:10:58 AM

That system will run fine for many years.

Only changes I would make is a DFI MB,Optron 146 (or a 148 but they both run fine @ 3Ghz on stock volts) and some G.Skill DDR500 ram ( 4000USU2-2GB-HZ).

Evga or XFX 7900gt is about as high as the human eye can see and all the brands seem to OC to the same area.
Dont worry about Vista or DX-10....people are still waiting for 64Bit XP to have software for it after all this time.

This will also run fine for many years....but alot finer/faster.
June 28, 2006 10:13:00 AM

Just stay with what you have.

Later on, when you think you really need more performance, buy a dual-core. The prices will drop for sure.

The graphics card is very good. keep it until it can't give you enough fps. I guess it will last for more than 2 years, with very good performance.

I don't know why everybody is in such a hurry to upgrade with each socket change...
June 28, 2006 1:13:00 PM

Your system looks pretty good. Obviously you cant go AM2 without buying new mobo, cpu, ram, and video.
I would wait till the price drops and get a X2, thats about all you can do. This should last you another 2 years, max!
June 28, 2006 3:41:49 PM

Quote:
There's no futureproof computer, and they'll never be one. If you get AM2, you'll have a better upgrade path with AMD's 65nm, and quad-core CPUs. 939 won't last much longer due to Conroe, so AMD will have to respond to Conroe, and AM2 is what they'll reply with.

A $6000 computer will be old in like 1-2 years, so no way to be futureproof, although some good upgrade path could be available.
Sounds like an echo of my post.
June 28, 2006 3:58:20 PM

Perhaps a computer would be "future-proof" if it had an internal TimeTeleportationTechnology built in.. When it reached 3 years it could automatically return to it's time of origin :lol: 
June 29, 2006 7:03:51 AM

Quote:
Perhaps a computer would be "future-proof" if it had an internal TimeTeleportationTechnology built in.. When it reached 3 years it could automatically return to it's time of origin :lol: 
You mean Restore? :wink: NOT
!