Can magnets damage the psu?

ecca

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Hi guys,

Iv'e recently mounted an 80mm fan in my old pc by strapping a hard drive magnet (from an old 1.5gb I found lying around) to the outside and sticking it on the bottom of the psu. It's there to blow on the cpu HS to replace that old noisy 60mm fan. I know that those magnets are pretty strong and I started to wonder if it would damage the psu (or anything else for that matter) seeing its in such a close proximity to it.

Thanks.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
theoretically, it may have some slight affect on the electrons moving through the circuits, but in practice, I doubt the electromagnetic forces would be so great as to cause any noticeable degradation in performance.

tcdude

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
ahh that reminds me on the "What can kill a HDD?" thread....

the good old times where you could destroy a floppy disk with just a kitchen magnet... :wink:

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
The magnet from a microwave magnetron just might be able to damage a hard drive, but not a regular magnet. The steel casing blocks the majority of outside magnetic fields (as it's designed to do), so unless it's a really strong magnet, forget about it. Although, a Raptor X just may be more susceptible to damage than others, due to the plastic window. As for the psu, uh, no. Or anything else in there.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Power supplies have transformers in them which operate by wrapping electrical wire around a conductor, thus creating magnetic flux when electricity is applied. They're purpose is to raise and lower voltage so they are commonly used in power supplies to lower voltage to more suitable levels for a PC before converting AC to DC power. More info can be found here. I suppose if the magnet is powerful enough the field could be interfering with the transformers.

JesterX

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
i just keep all my magnets away from my PC, i dont take chances.

I ran a decent sized magnet over my HD once by accident. I was taking it out of the system to put in a safe place; it was my backup HD. Luckily, no data got wiped.