Sign in with
Your question

opinions on price for selling custom built pc

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2006 5:52:30 AM

Ok, I got this pc, built by me, that I intend to sell. I'd like to know if you guys think what I'm asking for it is fair. Here it goes:

Case: Cooler Master Wavemaster - Black (unfortunately it's got a couple of scratches)
Motherboard: Abit AN7
CPU: Athlon XP-M 2500+ running at 2Ghz, 400Mhz FSB (with a Thermaltake heatsink, really good one, I forgot the exact model/name of it and a 92mm fan)
RAM: 512 (2x 256) DDR 400
HDs: 1x Western Digital Raptor 74 GB, 2x Hitachi 250 GB
Video Card: XFX Geforce 6800 128MB (standard, not GT or Ultra)
DVD Burner: NEC 8x DVD+/- RW
Floppy drive
Wireless: Linksys WMP54G 802.11 b/g (bought it very recently)
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 173P (freakin awesome monitor, still working flawlessly, absolutely no dead/stuck pixels)
Logitech black usb keyboard/optical mouse, can't remember the names but they are fairly basic nothing too fancy.

Ok, I'm asking about $1350 for the whole thing. Remember that the monitor is still more than $500 even today (if you can find it even).

I never had any hardware related issue, it's all been well taken care of. I think I've had it for about 3 years if I'm not mistaken. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your attention.
June 28, 2006 6:34:09 AM

In my area it is hard to sell a computer over Dells prices. I have tried many of times. Just the people in my area just don't bite on high end computers.

You will end up taking a lose on the build if your area is like mine. Nice size city I live in too. Your better off selling it on Ebay to get your money out of it then in local news paper.

But hey, good luck.
June 28, 2006 6:44:23 AM

1) Most people in the market for a new computer are going to be put off by overclocked parts

2) People that won't be put off by overclocked parts will know that's a pretty crap system

3) Just because the monitor is good, it doesn't mean your're gonna get top whack for it. If someone wants a new system, they'll buy a new system, but they're not going to pay about twice what it's worth just for some monitor they might not even want.

4) $1350 is way, way too much. You can buy a system thats many times better than that one for that price.
Related resources
June 28, 2006 7:05:53 AM

$1350 seems really high for a 3 year old system. even if new items were added to it over the years.

i thought you said your lcd monitor was $500 or more. i can find a refurbished 19 inch lcd monitor of the same model for about $349.99 from samsung's official website. http://www.samsungrb.com/193P_p/193p.htm

17 inch lcd monitors are a lot cheaper than 19 inch lcd monitors.

-athlon xp-m is outdated and you can get athlon 64s for very cheap prices close to $100.
-2x256mb of ram is really really cheap. $20-40? maybe less?
-2x250gb hitachi harddrives are $87.99 each on newegg
-western digital raptor 74 GB is about $170
-XFX Geforce 6800 128MB is $168.99 on newegg.
-NEC 8x DVD+/- RW is about $30-35. maybe less?
-Linksys WMP54G 802.11 b/g is about $50.
-motherboard let's just say it's $100.
-and let's throw in the keyboard and mouse for $30.

does adds up to about $1225 with the monitor.

but the problem is that computer value goes down a whole lot when it is used. and since your computer is about 3 years old. it's value will be no more than $700 and dell computers are pretty cheap and are dual-core processor ready for less than $1000. the 17 lcd monitor may be good. but it's used. so it would be less value than the $350 19 inch model i listed above.

good luck on selling it.
June 28, 2006 7:55:12 AM

Quote:
Ok, I got this pc, built by me, that I intend to sell. I'd like to know if you guys think what I'm asking for it is fair. Here it goes:

Case: Cooler Master Wavemaster - Black (unfortunately it's got a couple of scratches)
CPU: Athlon XP-M 2500+ running at 2Ghz, 400Mhz FSB (with a Thermaltake heatsink, really good one, I forgot the exact model/name of it and a 92mm fan)
Floppy drive
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 173P (freakin awesome monitor, still working flawlessly, absolutely no dead/stuck pixels)
Logitech black usb keyboard/optical mouse, can't remember the names but they are fairly basic nothing too fancy.

Ok, I'm asking about $1350 for the whole thing. Remember that the monitor is still more than $500 even today (if you can find it even).

I never had any hardware related issue, it's all been well taken care of. I think I've had it for about 3 years if I'm not mistaken. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your attention.

Hello

I do not mean to discourage you. But i am not gonna pay for it. In my opinion it is very expensive.

Good luck.
June 28, 2006 8:38:38 AM

Quote:
1) Most people in the market for a new computer are going to be put off by overclocked parts

2) People that won't be put off by overclocked parts will know that's a pretty crap system

3) Just because the monitor is good, it doesn't mean your're gonna get top whack for it. If someone wants a new system, they'll buy a new system, but they're not going to pay about twice what it's worth just for some monitor they might not even want.

4) $1350 is way, way too much. You can buy a system thats many times better than that one for that price.

Here in LA you might get $300 for it as it is outdated and used,to top it off you did not list the psu.
For $1300 in parts you can build a really nice system with top end parts.
June 28, 2006 4:15:50 PM

i honestly wouldnt pay more than 900 for it, cuz 1st you'd have to buy more ram for it, 512 is way to low, the processor is like junk, even though its oc'ed and i wouldnt need a monitor, got many lying around my house.
June 28, 2006 4:38:41 PM

As many people have stated, the system is old and definitely not worth the price you are asking for. With $1350 you can build or buy a system that will bet a lot more powerful than you are selling.

People who follows go to forums like this one knows about the up coming AMD price drops on July 24th. That will make your PC even harder to sell. You will be extremely lucky to get $600 for the entire system. You may have a couple of new parts, but all the other parts are used like the 74GB Raptor and the 2 Hitachi 250GB hard drives. A 17" LCD monitor doesn't cut it anymore for most people.

You may just want to keep it as a spare computer in case you run into problems with your new rig. Or you can use it for something else like a HTPC.

I'm in a similar situation since I will be replacing my Athlon XP-
M 2600+ / Radeon 9800Pro system with a new rig built around a Conroe CPU in August. Since I already have a HTPC, I will just give the old PC to my cousin (I'll be an upgrade for him).
June 28, 2006 5:05:29 PM

If I were buying it, I'd maybe give you $700 for it all.

Only thing worth anything in that system is the Raptor and 250GB hard drives. I just bought a dual Pentium III 1.1GHz server with 1.25GB RAM, 128MB Ti4200, Sound Blaster 5.1 Live, server case and power supply, and NIC for $150.

Regardless of how good that LCD might be, the fact is you can get a good 19" LCD for less than $350 now days. With 8ms response time or less instead of the 25ms that thing is rated at.

And like another guy said, you can build a really nice PC with LCD monitor for $1300 these days. That'll get you a nice 3800+, 2GB RAM, nice case and PSU, 7600GT, 250GB hard drive, DVD+/-RW burner, good CPU cooler, and a 17" LCD, maybe a 19".

Not trying to be mean, just trying to be honest. I bought a 128MB 5900 when they came out and 3 months after I bought it had to sell it for $150 less.

If the 250GB hard drives are SATA, how much for just them? PM me with price if you'll sell them seperate.
June 28, 2006 5:09:50 PM

Quite frankly if you don't sell a used computer within a year of getting it then you won't get near what you think. Computer technology is changing so fast that no one who knows anything about computers will ever buy that from you for more than $600.

DDR ram will slowly be phased out as more AM2 systems are sold then only socket 939 and older will support it.

The processor is old and can be out performed by basically everything on the market now.

The video card is not bad and you might get some money for that if you sold it seperately.

And like others have said, that monitor may have been good in it's time but no way it's worth more than $250 now when you can buy a new 17" lcd for that (hint: if it's so good why are you getting rid of it?)

I personally wouldn't give you more than $300. Not because it's not worth more than that but because it's not worth more than that to me.... Many ppl here already have multiple systems and don't need another old machine. I'm planning on turning my old P4 system into a HTPC, all I need is a case and a tuner card.

Not what you wanted to hear but unless you get a real noob who doesn't know jack about computers then you won't sell that sucker. Computers depreciate worse than cars....

My "state of the art" computer from 9 months ago probably wouldn't sell for 60% of what I paid for it because you can build something that performs as well for just over that....

My suggestion would be that you should tear that sucker apart and sell the components individually, I think you'll get more that way... for instance, a guy at work that I know is looking for a socket A processor, not because he doesn't know about computers but because his kids processor just died and he doesn't want or need anything better so. I bet you could find ppl like that for all your components...

Make sure you clear those drives, don't just format them, use a program to write zeros to the entire drive.
June 28, 2006 5:39:18 PM

Drop It Down To About $950.00 And It Will Sell Quickly And Will Be Worth It To A Occasional Gamer Or Just A Semi-Power User
June 28, 2006 5:53:32 PM

Oh man, I though it was gonna be like this...oh well. The reason I wanted to sell it is because I want to get a new imac.
But anyway, thanks for the input everyone.
June 28, 2006 6:10:45 PM

If you're a student then look into Apple's student discounts? But otherwise not really good news.
June 28, 2006 6:50:47 PM

That looks just like my system, only my cpu (xp-m) is clocked higher (stable at up to 2400, I run at 2300 for temp reasons). A 17" monitor should be worth about a hundred... sorry. The rest of it, 300 max. I would not pay 400 for it, but there's a sucker born everyday ...

now, selling the parts separately would be smart.
June 28, 2006 6:58:54 PM

The best you can do is sell all the components seperately on ebay. I can't tell you how much you would get for everything, but it will definately get you the most you can get out of it,

greetz
June 28, 2006 7:23:52 PM

Quote:

Floppy drive

Just look what of the parts is worth anything?
Gfx - GeForce 6800 128Mb used - 100$
hdd 2*250Gb used - new they are like 145 so its also >100$
hdd Raptor 74 Gb used - they 155$ new so its >100$ here to
Monitor used 17" tft - 100$ here to dosnt mather it "good" its old and used

The rest of the system?
case xp2500+ mobile 512 Mb ram and basic mouse/kb + vireless
max 150$
so its 550$ and as u sell it as a whole then u migh get 450$ for it or so

So sell the raptor and one of the 250Gb separate and even the gfx (put in a more basic one)
And then sell the rest in a lump
Finding the right buyers might get u ~250$ for the parts and another 300$+ for the computer/monitor. If u get 400$ u should be very happy for it
June 28, 2006 7:28:48 PM

On a similar subject, I do commercial installations in folks homes and sometimes I'm forced to open closets to do some of my wiring. Anyhow, I opened this closet and there was an old beauty, an old and very slow Apple computer.

The owner of the house said he kept it in the closet because he paid a little over $4,000 and never could get a reasonable offer for it. He also said that now he wouldn't even be able to give it away for free...nobody will take it!

How's that for an old computer story?
June 28, 2006 8:13:17 PM

For that price you can get a decent dell - That's new - faster -
- being able to play games - computers get old very fast -
Take it on trade with a new girl friend-
June 28, 2006 8:53:04 PM

Quote:
The best you can do is sell all the components seperately on ebay. I can't tell you how much you would get for everything, but it will definately get you the most you can get out of it,

greetz

I totally agree or try craigslist. Good luck.
!