Electra Computer or Home-Built

DayDreamer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
All,
OK, I know I can save a few bux by trying the build myself but I like the idea of a turnkey system and on-site service if I have any problems.

At $4600 it's a lot of money but I kinda got my heart set on it. But, if Conroe comes out next month and wipe the floor with the FX-60 I'll have basically less than a month of bragging rights :)

Should I wait for Conroe at this price point or just jump in? It's been paralysis by analysis for about 3 weeks...

here's the system:
http://www.electracomp.com/product.php?productid=16240&cat=0&page=1

Also, been hearing the Klipsch amps like to die few months out of warranty. Lived this nightmare with my Altec Lansing 641's - sub died 2 months out of warranty like everyone elses.

Advice?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Tru dat, not even FX62 can compete with Conroe.

If you must buy prebuilt then wait a few weeks.

Any bragging rights you may have gained by having a kickass system will be totally negated by the fact that you bought pre-built.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Consider that this is a DIY site - of course you'll be told to build your own. Are you willing to put in the time and energy to make sure the thing works correctly, should you decide to build? If you are, then you can save a lot of money and you'll gain more respect.

You'll be the guy on your street who built his own high-performance gaming rig, not the one who bought it. Wouldn't you rather have the DIY title?

Also, consider that the only gaming benchmarks released for Core 2 were at 640 x 480, as far as I know. Who games at that resolution outside of competitions if you have the system to back it up? Besides, you'll have to wait longer for really good Core 2-supported motherboards, which won't have the time to mature properly this summer. Go for an AM2 system with the FX-62. It's possible that the high-end AMD chips could have the advantage at high resolutions. But then again, isn't it your video card that determines your gaming performance? You won't have to worry about a bottleneck either way.

DayDreamer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
If you must buy prebuilt then wait a few weeks.

Right, I expect AMD prices to freefall if Conroe is as good as they say.

Any bragging rights you may have gained by having a kickass system will be totally negated by the fact that you bought pre-built.

I'm definately getting that vibe :)

DayDreamer

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
one who bought it. Wouldn't you rather have the DIY title?

I would, but I also don't want the "got a $4600 pile of stuff that doesn't work right" title :) Do you think I could get all the help I would need from these fora? I honestly would like to try to build my own but it's pretty intimidating when you've never done it.