Q&A with Henri Richard, EVP AMD, part four

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
http://digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20060628VL201.html
After a lot of crap and FUD, finaly some official info that we were missing:
1. There will be quadcore sAM2 and with 4x4 we'll be able to get 8 cores workstation:
We're now introducing AM2, and of course AM2 will be quad-core compatible.
And the fact that the AM2 socket allows us to have a seamless transition to quadcore tells me that I can buy a 4×4 platform, in the later part of this year, and then take it to eight cores sometime in 2007.
2. There will be dualcore and quadcore K8L:
Our plan is to have both dual-core and quad-core K8L-based processors within the same timeframe. The K8L development, from the ground up, is a quad-core development.
3. There will be upgrades on K8 in 2007((ALU, FPU, memory bandwidth, interconnections)), before they bring the K8L:
We've talked about the refresh of the current K8 architecture that will come in '07, with significant improvements in many different areas of the processor, including integer performance, floating point performance, memory bandwidth, interconnections and so on. You know that platform still has a lot of legs under it, but of course we're not standing still, and there's a next-generation core that's being worked on.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Its great to hear AM2 will support dual and quad core. I knew I upgraded to AM2 for a reason :lol:
All this crap about how AM2 was pointless and offers no performance increase. Did everyone really think the :roll: socket change was for nothing?

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I agree 4x4 is the most stuping thing that AMD will offer becouse they have nothing better. Anyway the good thing is that they will made true quadcore K8 RevG with some good improvements for sAM2. In competition we'll have Kentsfild compatible on LGA775, but less sexy(not true quad core). So, I think that the quadcore K8(Deerhound) will be competive to Kentsfield, but will come too late. Meanwhile Intel will have 45nm chips wich will scale much more in freqfency, will be much more cheper to produce and may have some architectural improvements. 2007 will be very interesting and I hope we'll have much better stuff than now for less money.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Its great to hear AM2 will support dual and quad core. I knew I upgraded to AM2 for a reason :lol:
All this crap about how AM2 was pointless and offers no performance increase. Did everyone really think the :roll: socket change was for nothing?
Socket change was just becouse the MC on K8 is on die and memory interface of DDR2 is different from DDR. DDR2 has 240 lines, while DDR has only 184. Do you think that 1 pin can make any difference?
We allready had K8 s940, but it is using registered DDR, and it is uncompatible to DDR2. S1 has less than 700 pins and it is dualcore, has 2 channels of DDR2, so there is no need for extra pins on the s939 to have the features of sAM2.
Also sAM2 offers no performance, but the K8 offers a little lower performance if it is on system with DDR2-800 CL5-5-5 and little better performance with DDR2-800 CL 3-3-3. Comparing by the factor performance/price the s939 system is more valuable.

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
http://digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20060628VL201.html
After a lot of crap and FUD, finaly some official info that we were missing:
1. There will be quadcore sAM2 and with 4x4 we'll be able to get 8 cores workstation:
We're now introducing AM2, and of course AM2 will be quad-core compatible.
And the fact that the AM2 socket allows us to have a seamless transition to quadcore tells me that I can buy a 4×4 platform, in the later part of this year, and then take it to eight cores sometime in 2007.
2. There will be dualcore and quadcore K8L:
Our plan is to have both dual-core and quad-core K8L-based processors within the same timeframe. The K8L development, from the ground up, is a quad-core development.
3. There will be upgrades on K8 in 2007((ALU, FPU, memory bandwidth, interconnections)), before they bring the K8L:
We've talked about the refresh of the current K8 architecture that will come in '07, with significant improvements in many different areas of the processor, including integer performance, floating point performance, memory bandwidth, interconnections and so on. You know that platform still has a lot of legs under it, but of course we're not standing still, and there's a next-generation core that's being worked on.
Thank you.
Any info after stupid 9-inch headlines crap and FUD.

I believe I've to go other forum to get info.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Thank you.
Any info after stupid 9-inch headlines crap and FUD.

I believe I've to go other forum to get info.
You can belive in whatever you want, it is your choice. We'll apritate insight and any kind of info that you will provide. Here we have a thread (http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Collection-AM2-K8L-Data-ftopict186307.html) about sAM2, 4x4 and K8L. If you find something interesting about with clues and arguments, please share that with us, it will be highly apritiated. Thanks.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Yes they did and they are still talking trash, they simply don't get it.
With NON forward thinkers like some of these guys we would be still using 286's @ 16MHz, so because they don't get it they will bad mouth it, and later on they will be singing it's praises saying, " I didn't say it was stupid", mark my word on this.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
I love the idea of 4 X 4 or 8 X 4,
not just for games, but for working on a computer ... well ok so maybe i just have those requirements lol but still 4 X 4 might as well be 4 X 2 for me since as long as i got enough processors in the box (so the system is never bogged down) i'm happy

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I don't think you're considering:

a) It's aimed at the gaming market and gamers don't really even need dual core right now, let alone multi-multi-core-CPU systems

b) It's only for Athlon FX which means $$$

The number of cores/CPUs/both you're running is very, very unlikely to become a serious bottleneck with the speeds things run at now. Any very slight limiting that using, say, a dual-core 3800+ as opposed to single core 3800+ in certain applications is not going to warrent a whole two extra cores!

Anyone ever heard 'treating dandruff with decapitation'? Well, there isn't really any dandruff here. Who want's to get decapitated?

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004

Well mike if we apply your reasoning those dual and quad cores don't exist since they're not out. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS