Sign in with
Your question

New here, 805D & Asus P5N32 @ 4.2ghz, tips welcome!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 28, 2006 11:57:38 AM

Here is a quick summary of my story. I've had AMD cpu's since my 1ghz Thunderbird (which I overclocked). My last watercooled project was an Athlon 1800+.
My latest setup was an AMD 3500+, but I only had an AGP card (6800GT) and decided it was time to upgrade. All I knew is that I wanted a dual core chip. So I happend to read Tom's article on the 805, and decided to give it a shot. (like many others) This is my first Intel CPU since my P2 300. I just built this PC yesterday. :) 

So, here is my setup:
Asus P5N32-SLI-deluxe
Pentium D 805
2gb Patriot DDR2 667
BFG 7900GTX oc ed
thermaltake 550watt ps
Thermaltake BigWater

All I have done is turned up the FSB and VCore a bit. Thats it. So far I'm upto 4.2ghz. Temps look awesome. I stopped to post here and get some advice.
Here are some of my questions:
Why is my VCore so much lower than others? (started at like 1.217)
I don't know anything about what to do with the RAM.. I haven't even touched it. Any help would be great.
I am having problems with the onboard audio. I have an older Audigy 2 card, will putting that in effect my overclocking? (I'm thinking back to the old days of turning up the FSB, all your weaker pci cards were affected)

These 2 screen shots should give you all the info you need. The first one is old, I'm upto 4.2ghz @ 1.500 vcore, and 44c at full load and stable.
Any help would be great. Thanx.

June 28, 2006 12:29:14 PM

Hello,

From the info you provided, it doesn't look like you need any help :-)

That's a great OC and your full load temperatures are lower than my idle temperature on the Zalman 9500 cooler at stock CPU speed.

Cheers,

Eoan
June 28, 2006 12:36:20 PM

Quote:
Hello,

That's a great OC and your full load temperatures are lower than my idle temperature on the Zalman 9500 cooler at stock CPU speed.

Cheers,

Eoan

8O
Well, my main concern is that the RAM isn't really optimized. I am also going to run 3DMark 2006 here soon to make sure it can get thru without crashing.
Related resources
June 28, 2006 12:41:53 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Cheers,

Eoan

8O
Well, my main concern is that the RAM isn't really optimized. I am also going to run 3DMark 2006 here soon to make sure it can get thru without crashing.

Ah ok, sorry, shouldn't skip the last couple of lines of a post.

Have you uppded the RAM bus to the max allowed after increasing the FSB speed?

Can't help so much on the latency side, there is an excellent post on RAM settings in the RAM forum, it's a sticky. I know that you'll get increased performance by setting the RAM manually, rather than letting SPD detect it, but I don't know which settings are optimal for your RAM type. Not much help there, sorry.
June 28, 2006 12:44:05 PM

No I haven't touched the RAM settings at all yet. I'll try reading that sticky you mentioned, thanx for the tip.
June 29, 2006 10:30:46 AM

Ok, here is an updated screen.

June 29, 2006 12:17:42 PM

Nice, it's a shame i don't trust myself with water cooling cos im pretty sure i could get to at least 4.2 with a decent water cooling setup.

Good luck with pushing it any higher!
June 29, 2006 12:26:12 PM

i kno this is off topic,l but what constitutes as "extreme" overclocking for an intel cpu namely p4/pd. my guess would be over 4ghz. for A64 would be over 2.8ghz.
June 29, 2006 12:32:17 PM

Quote:
Nice, it's a shame i don't trust myself with water cooling cos im pretty sure i could get to at least 4.2 with a decent water cooling setup.

Good luck with pushing it any higher!

Off the shelf water cooling setups are so easy now, its great. This setup (the Thermaltake) was super easy. Worked flawlessly the first time.

I tried to get to 4.4ghz, but Windows just refused to boot. I'm sure I wasn't turning the vcore up enough, but I don't know how high to go. I'm at 1.472 now, how high can you go without being too risky?
June 29, 2006 2:24:04 PM

It should be pretty safe at 1.5, i've got mine at 1.5 anyhoo.
June 30, 2006 8:31:46 PM

Kept trying, and still couldn't get XP to boot. I did notice, that the voltage I select in the BIOS is much higher than whats shown in CPU-Z. So which do I believe?
July 1, 2006 11:59:08 PM

Going to try this setup with a Asus P5LD2-VM. Any thoughts anyone?
DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 RAM needed?

G
July 2, 2006 4:56:00 AM

Quote:

G

Looks like your board there only supports DDR2 667.
July 3, 2006 2:19:53 AM

Quote:
Kept trying, and still couldn't get XP to boot. I did notice, that the voltage I select in the BIOS is much higher than whats shown in CPU-Z. So which do I believe?

You may need to also boost your northbridge volts.
July 3, 2006 2:25:39 AM

Quote:

You may need to also boost your northbridge volts.

Ahh, never tried that. I'll try boosting that in small steps also. Any idea where my VCore should be at 4.2ghz and above? Mine seems kinda low. (stable tho right now)
July 3, 2006 2:48:09 AM

Vcore should be exactly where you have it...where its stable.

All CPU/motherboard combinations can be different.

If its stable then its set right.

THG @ 4.1 had to boost the vcore to 1.675 they also had the northbridge set to 1.5.

I had to set my vcore to 1.425 to run 3.8GHz stable.

Do a google search on overclocking D805 and see what you find. I found some very useful tips from various forums.

My system is in the sig.
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2006 3:02:59 AM

Quote:

G

The ASUS P5LD2-VM does not support PC6400 DDR2 800 mhz. Does support PC5400 DDR2 667 however. The highest I can get my Pentium 805 D Smithfield to clock on that micro board is 3.5 ghz. Thats with OCZ Gold PC5400 DDR2 512 x 4 running well of 700 mhz. The RAM is not keeping the chip from clocking higher, the board's 845G chipset is the limiting factor.

Let me know where you get with yours. Thanks.
July 3, 2006 1:32:47 PM

I never changed any voltages or anything else for that matter, all the way upto 3.8ghz. Everything was stable at auto voltage at 3.8. It seems to get from 3.8 to 4.2 has taken alot of changes. But, at 4.2ghz I'm still only at 1.5. Also, I have to more questions maybe you can answer before I go off searching.

In reagrds to my VCore. What I have it set at in the BIOS and what it reads is a good bit different. The voltage reads *much* lower than what its set for.
Also, how much should it fluctuate? At my current setting, I'm seeing it go from 1.504-1.536, just sitting here typing this. (no load)

My PSU is a Coolermaster RealPower, 550watt.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
July 5, 2006 1:13:25 AM

My power does the same thing
July 5, 2006 3:22:30 AM

Quote:
8O It looks cool,

:twisted: But I find Abit AW8D has a higher overclocking on Pentium D 805.
Beat Asus :lol: 
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=95704

Your using better RAM. No Vcore readout? Give me time to get the video card taken care of, then I'll try to go higher.
July 7, 2006 1:57:45 AM

I seem to have a problem. If you look at my screen shot up there, you'll notice my RAM is only in single channel mode... I can't figure out why...
July 7, 2006 2:21:34 AM

Quote:
I seem to have a problem. If you look at my screen shot up there, you'll notice my RAM is only in single channel mode... I can't figure out why...

Try removing and replacing them (I assume you have 2 x 1gb sticks) again.

Just looked at the pic of the inside of your case. It looks to me as though you have the ram in the first 2 slots. Check the manual as most times they need to go into 1 & 3 or 2 & 4
July 7, 2006 10:10:51 PM

Stable at 4.2 Ghz is the best I've seen so far with the 805 with off the shelf parts.

What are your memory voltage settings?
July 8, 2006 4:32:10 AM

yep, in your pic your using only one channel, take the second stick from left to the right out and stick it in the yellow slot in the next group of 2 to the right, then youll be dual channel :) 
July 8, 2006 7:45:06 AM

well, always read your manual is what im learning. with my setup it kept crashing with liquid cooling and stock settings. what i didnt do was attach the included fans yet for the radiators around the cpu.
now that they are on i am stable at stock settings for 30 mins now and am going to start OCing process. hope it keeps steady.
July 8, 2006 2:09:00 PM

man that stinks, i have Pentium D 805 (3.6GHZ stock voltage) on a ASUS P5LD2, OCZ gold ddr2 667 2X 1GB running in dual channel at 1.8 v (stock) and never had a problem . Is yours set at stock? Give the motherboard chips a feel too, i had (for my own satisfaction) to direct a 80mm fan into the motherboard. Have you checked to see if your MB is recognizing the harddrive also? Goodluck to you man.
July 8, 2006 4:21:03 PM

Since a couple of weeks I have a Asus P5WD2E-Premium mobo with 2Gb of Geil memory, a D805 processor with liquied cooling , 2 Raptor drives in Raid 0 and a XFX 7950 dual graphics card.

For my framerate test I used Microsoft Flightsimulator with "tons"of addons.

4 ghz / DDr 800 at 667 -> 20,3 fps
3.8 ghz / DDr800 at 760 -> 25,4 fps

Any higher than 3.8 Ghz with the memory set at 760 and the system becomes unstable and finally crashes.

With the memory set back to 667 mhz I can even boot at 4.2 GHZ, but the 3.8Ghz / 760 mhz config remains faster.

So a fast processor is just a link in the performance chain.
July 8, 2006 5:13:23 PM

Quote:
Stable at 4.2 Ghz is the best I've seen so far with the 805 with off the shelf parts.

What are your memory voltage settings?

My memory is clocked at stock 667, and still on auto voltage. I can't get it to go up any further. I only have 3 voltage choices to choose from.
July 8, 2006 5:14:21 PM

Quote:
yep, in your pic your using only one channel, take the second stick from left to the right out and stick it in the yellow slot in the next group of 2 to the right, then youll be dual channel :) 

Yeah I misread the manual like a retard. I've got it fixed now, in dual mode. Didn't see much of a performance gain.

My 7900GTX goes out to BFG for the RMA Monday, so I won't be able to do anything till it gets back.

I would like to try and shoot for 4.4ghz. I can get it to post, just not load Windows. I spose I'm going to have to play with alot more of the voltage options I have. (fsb termination, NB, SB, ram, etc)
July 8, 2006 7:11:22 PM

I would like to try and shoot for 4.4ghz

Try to get the memory frequency as high as possible.
Even with a processor running at 5 Ghz , when the memory is running at 400 mhz it will be slower than 4 Ghz at 800 mhz.

The slower you set put the processor the longer it will live and the less hot it will become.

At an addtional test I found out that running at 3.8 ghz / 760 mhz the framerates where slightly better than at 3.9 Ghz /780 mhz.

Stability and heat also play an important role.

Just trying to reach the maximum frequency for the processor without having a fast memory is not worth it .
July 8, 2006 7:14:10 PM

Quote:
I would like to try and shoot for 4.4ghz

Try to get the memory frequency as high as possible.
Even with a processor running at 5 Ghz , when the memory is running at 400 mhz it will be slower than 4 Ghz at 800 mhz.

The slower you set put the processor the longer it will live and the less hot it will become.

At an addtional test I found out that running at 3.8 ghz / 760 mhz the framerates where slightly better than at 3.9 Ghz /780 mhz.

Stability and heat also play an important role.

Just trying to reach the maximum frequency for the processor without having a fast memory is not worth it .

I do agree with you, I have just been having problems getting the memory to do anything over 667. (like 673 is the best I've had it)

Either this ram doesn't overclock well at all, or I need to mess with the voltages.
July 8, 2006 8:17:50 PM

i cant get my OCZ gold 667 ddr2 2X1gb dual channel set over ddr600 in the bios, when i got to 700 i get the blue screen, im a idiot when it comes to adjusting ram timings and stuff, am i doing something wrong also? Stock cpu voltage at 3.6ghz with pent D 805 and no extra voltage to the ram on a ASUS P5LD2
July 8, 2006 9:23:15 PM

Well, I noticed my stock RAM settings were 4-4-4-12-20, and 1.8v
So, I just plugged in those timings, set the voltage to 1.9v and set the clock from 667 to 704mhz. So far everything is stable, and running fine. Should I try for more?
July 10, 2006 9:02:45 AM

Quote:
man that stinks, i have Pentium D 805 (3.6GHZ stock voltage) on a ASUS P5LD2, OCZ gold ddr2 667 2X 1GB running in dual channel at 1.8 v (stock) and never had a problem .

How did you OC to 3.6 Ghz, my P5LD2-VM isnt going beyond 160FSB i.e. 3.2 Ghz.

Can you post your settings, what are your PCIe Freq, PCI Sync mode freq, Voltages, DRAM timings.

please post anything that tweaked in your BIOS since I am breaking my head over it.

Thanks
July 10, 2006 7:40:23 PM

i havent adjusted anything but the FSB and manually set the ram timings. I had it to 3.8 with a raise of the vcore to 1.475. Oh mine isnt a VM model either
July 10, 2006 8:46:42 PM

Quote:
man that stinks, i have Pentium D 805 (3.6GHZ stock voltage) on a ASUS P5LD2, OCZ gold ddr2 667 2X 1GB running in dual channel at 1.8 v (stock) and never had a problem .

How did you OC to 3.6 Ghz, my P5LD2-VM isnt going beyond 160FSB i.e. 3.2 Ghz.

Can you post your settings, what are your PCIe Freq, PCI Sync mode freq, Voltages, DRAM timings.

please post anything that tweaked in your BIOS since I am breaking my head over it.

Thanks

What PSU are you using?
July 10, 2006 11:55:20 PM

Its a Rosewill RP550-2 550 WATT
July 11, 2006 5:32:42 AM

Quote:
i havent adjusted anything but the FSB and manually set the ram timings. I had it to 3.8 with a raise of the vcore to 1.475. Oh mine isnt a VM model either

So are you saying that you just increased the FSB and tweaked the RAM timings keeping the rest of them at default BIOS values ???

I have to try it out.

Mine is a 400 Watt PSU.
July 11, 2006 5:37:59 AM

Quote:

So are you saying that you just increased the FSB and tweaked the RAM timings keeping the rest of them at default BIOS values ???

I have to try it out.

Mine is a 400 Watt PSU.

That will be your problem. 400watt is not enough to push these. Is it a 400watt true power or one that came with your case.

I would recommend not having anything less than 500watt true power PSU.
July 11, 2006 9:41:31 AM

correct, auto ram timings from the bios were different than specs of the ram so i maually put them in. As for the Rosewill PSU , i couldnt be happier, i bought it when i upgraded everything, im not a expert but it seems to be a real decent psu, and real heavy, also it never gets hot like some other cheapos ive had in the past.
July 12, 2006 6:55:36 PM

Quote:
correct, auto ram timings from the bios were different than specs of the ram so i maually put them in. As for the Rosewill PSU , i couldnt be happier, i bought it when i upgraded everything, im not a expert but it seems to be a real decent psu, and real heavy, also it never gets hot like some other cheapos ive had in the past.

What are the amp ratings for all the 12v rails in your PSU? 400watts is pushing it, but I'm curious of the amperage also...
July 12, 2006 6:58:28 PM

I seem to have reached a brick wall with my FSB. I can NOT get it any higher than 4.1ghz and be stable. No matter what I do with the Vcore, won't matter. Maybe I need to raise the FSB, NB and SB voltages? I have the RAM at 1.95 right now, its 1.8 stock. Its 667 ram, doing good at 770 right now...
July 12, 2006 9:28:20 PM

If my motherboard has the ability to set auto-voltage, will it automatically adjust it as nessescary, or just keep the whole thing at a safe (stock) voltage?
July 13, 2006 2:31:56 AM

I have a P5LD2-VM with an 805 D, new setup. Some specs below.
This motherboard seems tricky to OC- you can't just
play with the FSB.

-Current speed is 3608 MHZ, FSB of 180. That's a 1000Mhz increase
and while I haven't hit the 4 ghs barrier - this machine is very quick.
Boot up time is about 40 seconds or so.
-Had to lock in PCI bus freq to make any progress, and
set the memory voltage up a bit. Also seems to like
small increments on the FSB.
-CPU voltage currently set to auto, running at 1.28
-Idle temp is 47 at room temp of 26.
-Load temp is about 60 - I've seen it as high as 70 when the room
was hot (30).

I'm going to run this way for a while to make sure it's stable- anyone
got this M/B any higher. Frankly very happy with performance at
this level.

Specs
-Themaltake 600 W supply (plan on adding more drives, maybe an array, down the road)
-Artic Chiller air cooler (big heat sink)
-1 GB DDR 2 667 ram
-Radeon PCI-X x1300
!