Sign in with
Your question

Alienware workstation uses Woodcrest instead of opteron.

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2006 1:59:35 PM

I find this interesting in light of the rumored hard-on that Dell supposedly has for AMD here lately.
Any guesses on which cpu alienware gaming pc's will use after July 23?

Linkage
June 28, 2006 2:07:39 PM

this is a very bad and hard day for the HORDE. Why? :cry:  :( 
Just WHY!?!?!?!? why you posted that today, it is not fair :cry:  :cry: 
June 28, 2006 2:19:56 PM

Quote:

I have become so annoyed with the crap 9-inch has been posting lately, that I just couldn't resist the opportunity to annoy him back.
Related resources
June 28, 2006 2:25:49 PM

Quote:
I find this interesting in light of the rumored hard-on that Dell supposedly has for AMD here lately.

Linkage

No one expects AMD to get 100% of the PC sales. I said Woodcrest will make a better wksta than svr. at worst AlienWare - if Dell ets them have the Core 2s - will just have an Intel chip worth putting in a baming box.

You are the shouters of doom and gloom.
June 28, 2006 2:34:40 PM

Quote:

Linkage

This is because Alienware have independence to choose the best product on the market.... ATM Woodcrest is that product.
June 28, 2006 2:35:04 PM

I cant understand a single piece of that post...
June 28, 2006 2:41:39 PM

I just LOVE the chart on the right side of the page, so technical and precise. 3x!!!!111!!one!1!!

Anyway, not surprising that dell was just drooling over trying to override AW's use of AMD chips (they're putting them in about half the systems it looks like). And of course, they've already made the site exactly like dell's (UGH).

I don't know about you all, but I'm fresh out of faith in AW now that it is just a dell clone...
June 28, 2006 2:53:33 PM

Quote:

I have become so annoyed with the crap 9-inch has been posting lately, that I just couldn't resist the opportunity to annoy him back.

I knwo how dare he post CPU news on a CPU forum.
June 28, 2006 2:59:01 PM

Quote:

STFU, MoronBatrix or you'll be owned again.
June 28, 2006 3:08:30 PM

Quote:

Linkage

Check out the ship date: Monday, August 07, 2006

God damn, that is horrible.
June 28, 2006 3:10:29 PM

Actually, I have no problem with him posting news. What annoys me is the following:

A.) the short one or two sentence comment that he puts under the news quote that is usually contradictory to the information that is actually in the article (does he actually even read it before he copies/pastes)

B.) quoting rumors from the inquirer like they are absolutely factual.

C.) completely abandoning the thread once he is challenged on his analysis of the article.

Im sure there are other reasons as well. I will edit them in as I remember them.

Oh and Baron, which job are you at today?
June 28, 2006 3:14:20 PM

Quote:

Linkage

Check out the ship date: Monday, August 07, 2006

God damn, that is horrible.

Holy poor execution batman! I didn't notice that.
June 28, 2006 3:40:10 PM

Quote:

Wanna bet I'll be around?
June 28, 2006 3:41:26 PM

Quote:
Actually, I have no problem with him posting news. What annoys me is the following:

A.) the short one or two sentence comment that he puts under the news quote that is usually contradictory to the information that is actually in the article (does he actually even read it before he copies/pastes)

C.) completely abandoning the thread once he is challenged on his analysis of the article.

Im sure there are other reasons as well. I will edit them in as I remember them.

Wow, you're lucky I have respect.
June 28, 2006 4:10:03 PM

Quote:

Linkage

No one expects AMD to get 100% of the PC sales. I said Woodcrest will make a better wksta than svr. at worst AlienWare - if Dell ets them have the Core 2s - will just have an Intel chip worth putting in a baming box.

You are the shouters of doom and gloom.

In the first benchmarks I have seen using 64 bit software it looks like there is a bit of a role reversal from 32 bit. Digit-life finds the FX60, the FX64. and the E6700 in a dead heat on CAD /CAE work. The only reservation I have is on the memory used for the FX-60 is Infineon B6 which is not a good choice for the A64 line. Latency is about 65-70ns. With good TCCD or Winbond UTTor BH-5 you can easily go sub 39ns. My conclusion is that with decent memory only the E6700 is a match for the opteron series which we have been able to buy for a year now in work stations. In web servers and data collation Intel has a HUGE win. http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/intel-conroe-2-...

I think that the bigger question is going to be who can get the opteron cores. Cray has just been awarded the contract for what will be the largest supercomputer in the world to go at Oak Ridge National Labs. 1 petaflop. That ttakes about 100,000 opterons. The upgrade of the existing machine to 250 tteraflops will suck up to 25,000 additional opterons. That is only at Oak Ridge. Sandia has already announced that they are upgrading Red Storm to 100teraflops. That is another 7500 opterons. Cray will use 132,500 dual core opterons in two projects. It is not becasue Woodcrest was not availbe for comparisoon. Intel delivered Woodcrest samples for engineering evaluation as part of the RFP.
http://www5.sys-con.com/read/236783.htm

Alienware may be assuming(rightly I think) that opteron cores will be on allocation. The supercomputer market is going to be where the big profits are in the next 2-3 years and that is donimated by IBM with about 50% in z-core chips and power chips, then AMD opterons at about 35-40% of announced sales AMD chips with 1mb cache per core are going to be tight. No 1 mb cache cores for the desktop unless you pay a premium price to compete with Cray, HP, Sun, and Dell. Top of the line chips in this area sell for $2200 a piece.
June 29, 2006 9:26:16 AM

Quote:

Linkage

http://alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/mj-12_8550i.asp...

"Estimated Ship Date

Monday, August 07, 2006"

Looks like Alienware doesn't have the chip

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/1639/woodcrestmia4tv...

ETA Aug 4
WOW, Shakira.....I was not expecting that you will take a part in any discussion. You only uesed to post BS and gone before you got toasted.
Anyway I don't care about Woodcrest and I will probably never buy one. I want to buy a new rig in September, and too sad for you it will not be AMD. I will use my K8 as file server. It will perform excelent for that purpose becouse it will have 2x4 drives in RAID 0+1. And guess what will be my next rig?
June 29, 2006 9:44:27 AM

Quote:

Linkage

http://alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/mj-12_8550i.asp...

"Estimated Ship Date

Monday, August 07, 2006"

ETA Aug 4
WOW, Shakira.....I was not expecting that you will take a part in any discussion. You only uesed to post BS and gone before you got toasted.
Anyway I don't care about Woodcrest and I will probably never buy one. I want to buy a new rig in September, and too sad for you it will not be AMD. I will use my K8 as file server. It will perform excelent for that purpose becouse it will have 2x4 drives in RAID 0+1. And guess what will be my next rig?

You expect him to figure it out? You're giving Mr. PhD in romantic poetry too much credit.
June 29, 2006 3:43:11 PM

Quote:

Wow, you're lucky I have respect.

Who are you trying to fool? Everyone here who has eyes to read your posts knows you have no respect for anyone...not even your deceased parents who you so disgustingly flaunted their passing in another thread in an attempt to deflect criticism of your antics.
June 29, 2006 3:45:45 PM

Quote:

And I'll be right there shadowing you to expose your every flaw. But those are easy for everyone to see anyway.
June 29, 2006 4:50:49 PM

Nice link. I had been looking for some benches in 64-bit. It looks like Intel is able to perform very well in 64-bit after all.
June 29, 2006 4:53:16 PM

Quote:

ETA Aug 4

What's up with all the imageshack links. You're always trying to point out inconsistences with articles and you post unnamed images from imageshack? That's about as shady as it gets.
June 29, 2006 5:08:38 PM

Do you have any links to sources that aren't your own blog or imageshack? I know I'm asking alot :lol:  By the way I didn't think Alienware used Intel normally. I think that's the point of the post.
June 29, 2006 5:17:52 PM

I think Alienware would showpiece Conroe regardless of Dell... To much of an enthusiast CPU not too... even Shakira shakes her booty to it... albeit privately :wink:
June 29, 2006 5:24:38 PM

Quote:
Do you have any links to sources that aren't your own blog or imageshack? I know I'm asking alot :lol:  By the way I didn't think Alienware used Intel normally. I think that's the point of the post.

Alienware always had both Intel and AMD products. why don't you go to Alienware.com and check out the Pentium XE products? Furthermore, Alienware has a server line that is 100% Netbust Xeons.
June 29, 2006 5:33:53 PM

Quote:
why don't you go to Alienware.com and check out the Pentium XE products?

Wow. A legitimate link. 8O
June 29, 2006 6:20:33 PM

I'm new to the forumz, and I have a couple of question about the validity of Sharikou and his posts.

1. What did he get his Ph. D in, and which college?
2. He says that hes a freelance journalist and some of his writings have been published. Anyone seen these?
June 29, 2006 6:33:06 PM

Quote:
I'm new to the forumz, and I have a couple of question about the validity of Sharikou and his posts.

2. He says that hes a freelance journalist and some of his writings have been published. Anyone seen these?

First off you'll soon learn that "validity" and "Sharikou" are rarely used in the same sentence. This guy normally post a ridiculous thread and then leaves without defending it in hopes that you'll follow him to his blog. He very rarely backs up his claims with legitimate links and normally links to his own blog or lately to imageshack. The only "journalism" that I have seen is his blog. I would assume that he gets the info that he posts on his blog from somewhere, but he refuses to link to any of those sources. This leads most to believe that he makes it up as he goes along.
June 29, 2006 7:00:31 PM

Quote:

First off you'll soon learn that "validity" and "Sharikou" are rarely used in the same sentence. This guy normally post a ridiculous thread and then leaves without defending it in hopes that you'll follow him to his blog. He very rarely backs up his claims with legitimate links and normally links to his own blog or lately to imageshack. The only "journalism" that I have seen is his blog. I would assume that he gets the info that he posts on his blog from somewhere, but he refuses to link to any of those sources. This leads most to believe that he makes it up as he goes along.

I view my role here is one of educating Intel fanbois. For instance, I just educated you towards the fact that Alienware has been using Intel Pentiums all along, thus burst your bubble dream that Alienware switched from AMD to Intel.
June 29, 2006 7:10:06 PM

Quote:

And I'll be right there shadowing you to expose your every flaw. But those are easy for everyone to see anyway.

Stay on topic and get a life.
June 29, 2006 7:11:11 PM

Quote:

I dont' really care either way but whether you like him or not he has been mentioned on The Inq regarding this. Have you?
June 29, 2006 7:19:32 PM

Quote:
I view my role here is one of educating Intel fanbois. For instance, I just educated you towards the fact that Alienware has been using Intel Pentiums all along, thus burst your bubble dream that Alienware switched from AMD to Intel.

I was referring to the recent threads were a bunch of AMD fanboys(probably yourself) got all excited when news broke that Dell was buying Alienware. Your right that I hadn't checked Alienware's site for Intel products(never really cared for their high prices) so you did "educate" me in that respect. This is very much in contrast to your usual posts that normally have no credible links. Why do you think it's acceptable to post news and then link to your own blog or to imageshack? As a "journalist" do you really feel that these are unbiased, credible sources?
June 29, 2006 7:20:56 PM

Quote:
he has been mentioned on The Inq regarding this.

hahahaha :lol:  A news story is only as credible as its sources. If they're quoting some random guys blog as their source, then nuff said.
June 29, 2006 7:36:50 PM

Ycon.... you never post anything worth reading.... give it a try.... everyone will appreciate it.
June 29, 2006 7:48:59 PM

I believe what The Inquirer recently mentioned was the furor Sharikou is causing over the GamePC Woodcrest review and the fact that he is considered "pro-AMD". Then they move on to say how the review found that Woodcrest meets or beats Opteron and that this was only mid-range models with high-end ones to come.
June 29, 2006 8:16:36 PM

You Intel fanbois really need to get some IQ and learn how to read a web page. Alienware has been selling AMD and Intel workstations all along.

Intel Xeon Paxville and P4 D stuff as well as Opteron stuff

http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/workstation_all....

So, what made you boys so excited? A Woodcrest workstation available in August?
June 29, 2006 8:17:42 PM

Why are you so angry? Woodcrest crushing opteron?
June 29, 2006 8:26:29 PM

Quote:
Why are you so angry? Woodcrest crushing opteron?

Dude, I would really like to order a Woodcrest and see how much Opteron can whack Intel's guerilla benchmarketing. Guess what? Intel folks are so good at this hit-n-run, hide-n-seek guerilla warfare, Woodcrest is nowhere to be found. The earliest ETA date is somewhere in August. So all we have now is a bunch of anonymous kiddies posting CPU-Z screens and SuperPI screen dumps on internet forums ...

This is not just sad for a company like Intel, it's pathetic.
June 29, 2006 8:29:36 PM

Quote:
You Intel fanbois really need to get some IQ and learn how to read a web page. Alienware has been selling AMD and Intel workstations all along.

Please forgive us for celebrating these small victories. We only have one more year of intel victories that we will be able to celebrate before they go bankrupt.
June 29, 2006 8:35:04 PM

Quote:
So all we have now is a bunch of anonymous kiddies posting CPU-Z screens and SuperPI screen dumps on internet forums ...

Almost as bad as some kid posting a bunch of random photos from imageshack and linking to his own self serving blog.
June 29, 2006 8:39:04 PM

Quote:

Please forgive us for celebrating these small victories. We only have one more year of intel victories that we will be able to celebrate before they go bankrupt.

One thing I don't understand is this: what is good about Intel?

That company represents everything that is wrong.
June 29, 2006 8:39:07 PM

Quote:
I cant understand a single piece of that post...

A baming box is a game box with speakers built in, er rather, hammered on. This gives a clue about the Baron's "laboratory".
June 29, 2006 8:58:19 PM

Quote:

You my friend have obviously never ever heard of a little concept i like to call CAPITALISM. And as for what’s good? Imagine if Intel went down right now, what would happen? AMD would jack up prices, stop almost all R&D and they wouldn’t even have 50% of the processors needed to meet world demand. Don’t you dare say they wouldn’t do so. There have been NO companies in the history of Capitalism that haven’t take advantage of being a monopoly, they are in the end a business, they would screw you over in a second if it made them a dime. Also, who are you to say that Intel represents everything wrong? What exactly is everything wrong? Can u even be certain that we have the same definition? Besides this same “wrong” is in every company, including AMD.
June 29, 2006 9:00:41 PM

"One thing I don't understand is this: what is good about Intel?

That company represents everything that is wrong."

BTW, It realys sounds like u got a personal issuse with Intel, as a "journalist" you would be fired in a second for this, please leave your bias at the door.
June 29, 2006 9:09:53 PM

Quote:

Finally, some uncolored truth from you - bottom line is you just don't like Intel. Hence the bias that oozes out of every single statement you make. Why don't you start by stating only the facts and providing outside links (not to your own blog of imageshack) to substantiate them. Let other people decide for themselves. You sound like a raving fanatic otherwise.

Is AMD really that much better? I suspect if they were the bigger player, we might see some strong arm tactics out of them also. They innovated more because they were forced to as the smaller player for so many years. The same way that Intel finally beefed up its processor line up with Core2 when its back was to the corner. When the X2's were bashing on the Netbursts, AMD kept a price premium on their X2/FX chips. Do you honestly believe the average consumer would be better off if Intel was crushed by AMD?

I am not a fan/loyalist of AMD or Intel. Of the 8 machines I have assembled for home use over the years, 5 are AMD-based and 3 are Intel-based. At the end of the day, like most other people, I am a fan of my pocketbook. I just want to see both companies continue to compete, keep innovation high, and prices low.
June 29, 2006 9:10:19 PM

Quote:

Did Intel shag your girlfriend?
June 29, 2006 9:22:48 PM

Baming Box?
June 29, 2006 11:19:54 PM

Quote:

Like the fact they make money?
June 29, 2006 11:58:26 PM

Quote:

Did Intel shag your girlfriend?

Or maybe Intel did Sharikou, hershey stylie.
!