Clovertown and Kentsfield

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/27/intel_clovertown_to_be_rated_at_110w/

Two questions:

1. Clovertown will use FB-DIMM and Kentsfield will use DDR2??

2. "Intel merges two Woodcrests into one Clovertown processor" What about Kentsfield?

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/27/intel_clovertown_to_be_rated_at_110w/

Two questions:

1. Clovertown will use FB-DIMM and Kentsfield will use DDR2??

2. "Intel merges two Woodcrests into one Clovertown processor" What about Kentsfield?

no. 1 is down to the chipset used

No. 2, I expect that Woodcrest and Clovertown will be identical, the only difference will be testing / different bins

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
What will be the differences between Clovertown and Kentsfield? If i buy a Kentsfield for my desktop pc i will need FB-DIMM ot DDR2 memory?

two Woodcrests = 1 Clovertown. Ok i understand this but what about Kentsfield?
Kentsfield = two Conroes :?: :roll:

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
two Woodcrests = 1 Clovertown. Ok i understand this but what about Kentsfield?
Kentsfield = two Conroes :?: :roll:

I guess so, 2 conroes glued together as it were, i doubt they will have a true Quad CPU out by the first of January 2007

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
When 8-core CPUs are out, Intel will have a Quad Core CPU rather than Dual Chip.
Or they will have one out as soon as the next Xeon generation is released.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
If i buy a Kentsfield for my desktop pc i will need FB-DIMM ot DDR2 memory?

Kentsfield will support*** FP, EDO, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, XDR, GDDR, Rambus, any type of memory you care for.....

*** Because memory support has NOTHING to do with the CPU on Intel products, it's all in the northbridge.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

Kentsfield will support*** FP, EDO, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, XDR, GDDR, Rambus, any type of memory you care for.....

*** Because memory support has NOTHING to do with the CPU on Intel products, it's all in the northbridge.
no Kentsfield will not support any kind of memory.The northbridge on the mainboards for Kentsfield will support DDR2, just becouse Core2 is optimized to work with DDR2-like bandwidth and latency.

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Clovertown and Kentsfield are the same processor in different package.

Clovertown is two Core 2 (ake Woodcrest) in one socket 771 package.
Kentsfield is two Core 2 (aka Conroe) in one socket 775 package.

Socket 775 is uniprocessor socket and Socket 771 is multiprocessor.
Intel memory controler is in the chipset. Motherboard makers choose memory to use. They can use SDRAM, DDR-1,DDR-2,DDR-3, FB-Dimm, or another. They pair chipset with memory sockets.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Clovertown and Kentsfield are the same processor in different package.

Clovertown is two Core 2 (ake Woodcrest) in one socket 771 package.
Kentsfield is two Core 2 (aka Conroe) in one socket 775 package.

Socket 775 is uniprocessor socket and Socket 771 is multiprocessor.
Intel memory controler is in the chipset. Motherboard makers choose memory to use. They can use SDRAM, DDR-1,DDR-2,DDR-3, FB-Dimm, or another. They pair chipset with memory sockets.
Conroe=Woodcrest=Core2
FB-DIMM=DDR2 + buffer.

Core2 with the large shared L2 and the memory disambigutation(aka SmartMemoryAccess & FastMemoryAccess) works great with DDR2 high latencies and benefits of the bandwidth achieved with 2 channels of DDR2 per dualcore chip. It will not benefit much of lower latencies and much more bandwidth.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
yeah i thought FB-DIMM ram was DDR2 just with an onboard buffer, but essentially the same thing.

kentwood will be a wicked processor. :twisted:

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

no Kentsfield will not support any kind of memory.The northbridge on the mainboards for Kentsfield will support DDR2, just becouse Core2 is optimized to work with DDR2-like bandwidth and latency.

Would you argue that the P4 can only support Rambus memory, as the first chipsets released for it only supported Rambus?

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
P4 take advantage of RAMBUS but you can choose chipset and memory for it.
Today the better memory for conroe is DDR-2 but you can choose another.

FB-DIMM is not only DDR-2+Buffer. Its serial linked and need less connections in motherboard thats why you can see 8 channel fb-dimm motherboards in a near future and first server boards have 4 channels.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

Would you argue that the P4 can only support Rambus memory, as the first chipsets released for it only supported Rambus?

If you add more bandwidth or/and lower the latency, you will reach a level when the CPU will get all the needed cache blocks on time and adding more RAM bandwidth will result with no CPU performance boost. The modern CPUs have so many techniques to keep the pipeline full while it waits cache blocks. You will reach the level when lower RAM latency will result with no peformance boost. Core2 Duo has no benefit of DDR2 with DDR-like latency(CL2 2-2-2 1). It might have benefit from more bandwidth but the FSB is bottleneching it. Thats why it has large shared L2 cache, it has been designed to use DDR2.
:roll: whatever you say, cool.....go buy Core2 Duo and mainboard with EDO RAM.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
FB-DIMM is not only DDR-2+Buffer. Its serial linked and need less connections in motherboard thats why you can see 8 channel fb-dimm motherboards in a near future and first server boards have 4 channels.

Yes, FB-DIMM is not only DDR2 and buffer, but I was talking about the performance that it can offer. Of course it uses 64 connectins, while DDR2 uses 240 and DDR2 is much more harder to implement in 4-layer mainboards. For servers, the DDR2 mainboards are much more complex. But what we were talking was bandwidth and latency. I wonder how Core2 Duo will perform with FP or EDO and I hope that jamesgoddard will provide some benchmarks once he will get apropriate mainboard.