north and southbridge??? wtf???

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
first of all i dont know if this should be in cpu or m/b so i put it here
i get everything about the cpu's except what north and southbridge is?
can sum1 plz explain
thx in advance

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
can sum1 plz explain
thx in advance

These are the 2 main chips of the motherboard which control memory, grapgics, I/O etc.

for more details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
can sum1 plz explain
thx in advance
They are PCI Bus Controllers. The Northbridge Countrolls the RAM and the PCI Slots and the CPU and directly controls the Southbridge too. And the soouthbridge is lika slave controller of the northbridge. given the job of countrolling anyother slots on the motherboard. I think it mainly deals with AGP and others

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
A big logic/switching device that lets the cpu address various things wihout need for an insane number of pins to support all the interfaces.. i think it sort of multiplexes the various busse (agp. pci, etc)

spontayo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
can sum1 plz explain
thx in advance
They are PCI Bus Controllers. The Northbridge Countrolls the RAM and the PCI Slots and the CPU and directly controls the Southbridge too. And the soouthbridge is lika slave controller of the northbridge. given the job of countrolling anyother slots on the motherboard. I think it mainly deals with AGP and others

The Northbridge only controls the memory on intel motherboards, and older socket A motherboards. Socket 754 and 939 systems have a memory controller built into the cpu.

can sum1 plz explain
thx in advance

Typically, with AMD Skt A and older boards as well as all Intel boards, the northbridge chip controls the data flow/communication between the processor, memory, and video card; the northbridge also has a communication bridge/link to the southbridge. Typically, the southbridge chip controls the data flow/communication between the PCI slots, USB, firewire, KB & M, and other peripheral devices.

With the newer AMD boards (Skt 754, 939, 940, etc...), because of the onboard memory controller, there is only need for one chip to handle all things I/O and any peripheral devices.

Check out some mobo manufacturer sites and dl some of the manuals for boards you're interested in. The manuals usually have a block diagram of the chipset and you can see the data flow and how each chip/component communicates across the mobo.

Good luck!