Brother lasers 2030/2040 vs 5130/5140

I am after getting a mono laser printer and have been looking at these
Brother models. Does anyone have any experience of these?
What would I gain by getting the more expensive 5130/5140?

Things I've seen so far:
5140 drum costs about twice as that for 2030 much but only does 2/3 more
pages.
5140 toner cart costs a little more than that for the 2030 but does 50%
more pages
5140 is not GDI, whereas 2030/2040 say GDI 'emulation'. Does GDI
emulation mean it's is *only* GDI?
5140 can be networked and has faster processor/more memory.

Are these advantages of the 5140 worth the extra cost, do you think. Are
the 5130/40 built better?

Is their any difference in the quality of the output. Specs suggest that
they are the same.

My usage will be for letters, mail-shots, instruction manuals, invoices,
etc. Not a lot of graphics.

All advice gratefully received.

John
3 answers Last reply
More about brother lasers 2030 2040 5130 5140

    "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I am after getting a mono laser printer and have been looking at these
    >Brother models. Does anyone have any experience of these?
    > What would I gain by getting the more expensive 5130/5140?
    >
    > Things I've seen so far:
    > 5140 drum costs about twice as that for 2030 much but only does 2/3 more
    > pages.
    > 5140 toner cart costs a little more than that for the 2030 but does 50%
    > more pages
    > 5140 is not GDI, whereas 2030/2040 say GDI 'emulation'. Does GDI emulation
    > mean it's is *only* GDI?
    > 5140 can be networked and has faster processor/more memory.
    >
    > Are these advantages of the 5140 worth the extra cost, do you think. Are
    > the 5130/40 built better?
    >
    > Is their any difference in the quality of the output. Specs suggest that
    > they are the same.
    >
    > My usage will be for letters, mail-shots, instruction manuals, invoices,
    > etc. Not a lot of graphics.
    >
    > All advice gratefully received.
    >
    > John

    I support several Brother laser printers (approx 70). All seem pretty
    rugged. I'm buying 5140's now, most of the units are the now discontinued
    HL-1440. Haven't had any trouble with the 5140. Most are printing about
    15-20 pages per day, 5 days a week and keep chugging right along. The
    2030/2040 are GDI printers and only GDI printers and as such wouldn't fit my
    main application, so I didn't even test one

    I hope this helps

    Mark

    Mark wrote:
    > "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am after getting a mono laser printer and have been looking at these
    >>Brother models. Does anyone have any experience of these?
    >>What would I gain by getting the more expensive 5130/5140?
    >>
    >>Things I've seen so far:
    >>5140 drum costs about twice as that for 2030 much but only does 2/3 more
    >>pages.
    >>5140 toner cart costs a little more than that for the 2030 but does 50%
    >>more pages
    >>5140 is not GDI, whereas 2030/2040 say GDI 'emulation'. Does GDI emulation
    >>mean it's is *only* GDI?
    >>5140 can be networked and has faster processor/more memory.
    >>
    >>Are these advantages of the 5140 worth the extra cost, do you think. Are
    >>the 5130/40 built better?
    >>
    >>Is their any difference in the quality of the output. Specs suggest that
    >>they are the same.
    >>
    >>My usage will be for letters, mail-shots, instruction manuals, invoices,
    >>etc. Not a lot of graphics.
    >>
    >>All advice gratefully received.
    >>
    >>John
    >

    > I support several Brother laser printers (approx 70). All seem pretty
    > rugged. I'm buying 5140's now, most of the units are the now discontinued
    > HL-1440. Haven't had any trouble with the 5140. Most are printing about
    > 15-20 pages per day, 5 days a week and keep chugging right along. The
    > 2030/2040 are GDI printers and only GDI printers and as such wouldn't fit my
    > main application, so I didn't even test one
    >
    > I hope this helps

    Hi Mark,

    Yes it does, nice to hear positive comments.

    I've been looking up the Linux support and I'm a little confused abotu
    support for Linux from Brother. Do you happen to run these printers
    under Linux?

    Rather than buy the network adapter I was thinking of hooking the
    Brother up to an old PC I run as Linux server.

    John

    > Mark wrote:
    >> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    [snipped]

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Yes it does, nice to hear positive comments.
    >
    > I've been looking up the Linux support and I'm a little confused abotu
    > support for Linux from Brother. Do you happen to run these printers under
    > Linux?
    >
    > Rather than buy the network adapter I was thinking of hooking the Brother
    > up to an old PC I run as Linux server.
    >
    > John

    John-

    Yes and no. I have several of these hooked up to a linux server, but not in
    a way you would want to :). One of the reasons a GDI printer won't work for
    me is I dump ASCII text to them though a serial line and a buffer/parallel
    convertor (It's a long story....). Most of this text comes from a Linux
    box. But really the printer is acting as a generic text printer.

    Mark

Printers Laser Printer Brother Peripherals