Windows will not start

I installed internet on my system one day. After
installing everything was working just fine. The next day
my system said that it could not start because,
windows\system32\config\system could not be found or was
corrupt. It said to put the original cd in and press "R"
to repair. When I get the system to boot off of the CD and
press "R" it asks which repair counsle would I like to go
to, C:windows>? What do I need to do? Is there a way to
repair with out reloading windows. If there is how would I
do that?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about windows start

    Do what you said you did below but instead of hitting R to go to the
    recovery console hit "enter" and select repair. You will be given the
    option of selecting which previous installation of Windows to repair.

    "Troy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed internet on my system one day. After
    > installing everything was working just fine. The next day
    > my system said that it could not start because,
    > windows\system32\config\system could not be found or was
    > corrupt. It said to put the original cd in and press "R"
    > to repair. When I get the system to boot off of the CD and
    > press "R" it asks which repair counsle would I like to go
    > to, C:windows>? What do I need to do? Is there a way to
    > repair with out reloading windows. If there is how would I
    > do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    "Troy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I installed internet on my system one day. After
    >installing everything was working just fine. The next day
    >my system said that it could not start because,
    >windows\system32\config\system could not be found or was
    >corrupt. It said to put the original cd in and press "R"
    >to repair.

    See"How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545).

    --
    (tm)

    don't do recovery console. select the "repair installation" option instead.

    also, overclocking sometimes leads to that error. you aren't oc'ing by any
    chance, right?

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > "Troy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I installed internet on my system one day. After
    > >installing everything was working just fine. The next day
    > >my system said that it could not start because,
    > >windows\system32\config\system could not be found or was
    > >corrupt. It said to put the original cd in and press "R"
    > >to repair.
    >
    > See"How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545).
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

Windows XP