Someone tell me why DX10 wont work on a 1900xtx

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Direct X is a software right? So in turn why cant a new card that is 9.0c compliant not ever be able to run 10..Is this a marketing scam or is it that the gpu chipsets cant run a newer version of Direct X..I know im being brief on my view but it seems that these latest cards could run dx10 but maybe with not all the new shader benefits of 10

DX10 is integrated into Vista differently from DX9, it's a whole new way of doing things.

Is it possible, sure, just like's it's technically possible to do alot of things, but it doesn't happen.

What's not technically possible is 'all the new benifits' you talk about, which require the hardware support to function.

Simply put, what's the big, deal, why do you care? You're probably complaining about something that makes no difference to you other than for asthetic purposes (oooh my computer runs DX10, ooh mine runs DX9.0c). An X1900XTX will still smoke a GMA965/3000 regardless of DX9vs10, only a GMA965/3000 might have a nice looking slide show to show you.

As TheGreatGrapeApe said, DX 10 is software, but without the proper hardware some of it's features will not be useable because there is no hardware for the software to access. I wouldn't worry to much about DX10 since game developers will not be dropping support for DX 9c anytime soon.

Consider this, Windows XP 64-bit is only software, but it will not run on an Athlon XP because the hardware doesn't support 64-bit software.

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
not complaining just had to have the 1900xtx and maybe i should have waited for another 5 months to spend the 500 dollars more wisely on the new "stuff"

not complaining just had to have the 1900xtx and maybe i should have waited for another 5 months to spend the 500 dollars more wisely on the new "stuff"

The problem with waiting is that there's always new stuff on the horizon that you can spend your money on. Simply enjoy your 1900XTX. It will not be obsolete even when DX10 games come out because they will be backwards compatible with DX9 games. Consider than recent games like F.E.A.R. which was released in October 2005 can still be played with a DX 8.1 video card. Not sure if there were any major games released this year that supports DX8.1 though. Then again I'm not a hardcore gamer.

I think games will be compatible with DX 9 video cards until Microsoft is ready to announce the release of DirectX 11.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Direct X is like a common interface for programmers. It has something called a HAL (hardware abstraction layer). What this is, is something which checks if hardware can handle a certain feature, if not, then it will either use software to "simulate it" or return without doing anything. What this means is that programmers can call any function in Direct X and not too concern about whether the card can support it.

In terms of DX 10, this means if your card is DX10 compatible, all special DX 10 calls can be handled by your graphics card which is faster. Otherwise it may use software emulation which is slower.

As for drivers, just incase you are wondering. These control all the communication from your O/S to the hardware, which is lower than DX because if your card does not support the feature it will never call the driver.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i wouldn't be very shure for that , i have the lateste beta of windows vista and it brings DX 10 with it , or is just some missinformation ?? i don't think so .

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
that's a fact i was just statting that vista will bring DX 10 for day one, because if beta already brings and it works with my dx8 video card , i wont the final release bring it ?? despite whe wont use it , but until there i think video cards will be released and games optimized with patches and <dx 10 versions

Well of course Sell the X1900XTX when the R600 series comes out and can be wisely used to an advantage and then roll that money into a better card, that's what many people here do winding up with a $50-100 upgrade. Well worth it IMO. And then you get to play now, and get the new hardware later as well.

Consider than recent games like F.E.A.R. which was released in October 2005 can still be played with a DX 8.1 video card.

BF2 was the first game IIRC to require DX8.1 as a minimum.

Not sure if there were any major games released this year that supports DX8.1 though. Then again I'm not a hardcore gamer.

Oblivion was the first to require DX9, and really preferably GOOD DX9 (FXs need not apply).

I think games will be compatible with DX 9 video cards until Microsoft is ready to announce the release of DirectX 11.

Depends, I'd say that the FX cards days are already numbered, and the R3xx and R4xx based cards days are also numbered somewhat due to the move to 32bit. But really if you still own those cards, you are due an upgrade if you want to play all the latetst/greatest games of 2007/2008 when it'll matter.

Depends, I'd say that the FX cards days are already numbered, and the R3xx and R4xx based cards days are also numbered somewhat due to the move to 32bit. But really if you still own those cards, you are due an upgrade if you want to play all the latetst/greatest games of 2007/2008 when it'll matter.

The FX is a special case, it was the worst GPU series nVidia (or any graphics company) ever inflicted onto the general public. It DX9 was poorly implemented.

Actually, when I was referring to DX9 cards I meant to say the recent generations like the X8xx and X1xxx series for ATI, and the 6xxx, and 7xxx series for nVidia.

Yeah, Oblivion is the first game to require a good DX9 card (FX excluded) just for mediocre performance in outdoor sceneries. That's actually the first game I will be buying this year after I upgrade my rig.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
What I've heard the most when people talk about when they talk about DX10 compatability is DRM. No your card doesn't have it, so chances are, somewhere down the road, you won't be allowed to play HD movies at full res on your PC unless you upgrade your card.

What I've heard the most when people talk about when they talk about DX10 compatability is DRM. No your card doesn't have it, so chances are, somewhere down the road, you won't be allowed to play HD movies at full res on your PC unless you upgrade your card.

Except for the recent revelation that most of the companies are easing their DRM restrictions, so that may not be the case after all. We shall see.

And it's not DX10 DRM, it's Intel/M$ HDCP that's the issue and separate from DX10 completely, heck the chips have supported it since the R3xx era and GF6200/X1300-1600 cards already support itnow, and they won't be fully DX10 capable.