Blocked Printer head?

I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
magenta stopped working.
I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
giving me problems.
I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
and a half).

I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
or what?

I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
short while before the printer head burned out.
Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Terry
19 answers Last reply
More about blocked printer head

    You may have an air block now.

    Others have written on how to deal with air block problems, and I don't
    remember what they recommend.

    anon wrote:

    > I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    > magenta stopped working.
    > I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    > giving me problems.
    > I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    > recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    > work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    > It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    > having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    > and a half).
    >
    > I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    > down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    > would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    > or what?
    >
    > I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    > short while before the printer head burned out.
    > Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
    > greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Terry

    Keepsake gift for young girls.
    Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    Guaranteed satisfaction
    - courteous money back
    - keep bonus gifts

    http://www.alicebook.com

    anon wrote:

    >I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    >magenta stopped working.
    >I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    >giving me problems.
    >I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    >recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    >work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    >It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    >having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    >and a half).
    >
    >I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    >down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    >would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    >or what?
    >
    >I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    >short while before the printer head burned out.
    >Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
    >greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Terry

    Are you and have you always been using Epson genuine OEM ink carts?

    try : http://www.compassmicro.com/

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:43:39 -0500, jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net>
    wrote:

    >You may have an air block now.
    >
    >Others have written on how to deal with air block problems, and I don't
    >remember what they recommend.
    >
    >anon wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    >> magenta stopped working.
    >> I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    >> giving me problems.
    >> I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    >> recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    >> work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    >> It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    >> having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    >> and a half).
    >>
    >> I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    >> down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    >> would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    >> or what?
    >>
    >> I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    >> short while before the printer head burned out.
    >> Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
    >> greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Terry

    Terry
    You can try soaking overnight, my experience is that it works sometimes and not
    always for very long. Distilled water is best (no tiny particles that may clog
    the head).
    Some people soak in Isopropyl Alcohol but there is evidence that alcohol can
    damage some printheads. You need to be aware that printhead replacement can be
    tricky with some epson printers, electronic re-alignment sometimes needs
    special software, don't know this model so can't help there. But if you put the
    old one back there should be no problem so long as you ensure the mechanical
    alignment is precisely maintained.
    Ink jet printers suffer from lack of use.... ie the more you use them the more
    reliable the printheads are, they do not become clogged so easily if
    used regularly. I recommend to our customers that they use their ink jet
    printers at least twice a week if possible. The Epson zealots will say that non
    Epson
    ink will damage the heads. The truth is that there is good and not so good
    compatible ink and the ink from a good manufacturer will not shorten a
    printheads life.
    (I do not want to get into a debate about this since it would go on forever,
    lots of entrenched opinions there.)
    If worst comes to worst you may have to replace the printer and I would
    seriously look at HP (you get a new head with each cartridge) or Canon (the
    IP4000 is a lot of printer for the money and the printhead is easily replaced
    at a price!).
    By the way the symptoms you describe match Epson printhead failure perfectly.
    Good luck
    Tony

    "anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    >magenta stopped working.
    >I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    >giving me problems.
    >I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    >recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    >work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    >It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    >having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    >and a half).
    >
    >I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    >down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    >would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    >or what?
    >
    >I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    >short while before the printer head burned out.
    >Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
    >greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Terry

    before you remove the print head or try any disassembly contact Arthur
    Entlich at artistic@telus.net and ask him for his instructions on cleaning
    an epson print head. Describe your problem to him as well. His info helped
    my to clear my Epson printer clog. Mine clogged using Epson inks
    exclusively.

    "anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    > magenta stopped working.
    > I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    > giving me problems.
    > I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    > recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan
    > will
    > work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    > It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    > having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    > and a half).
    >
    > I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer
    > head
    > down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    > would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    > or what?
    >
    > I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    > short while before the printer head burned out.
    > Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will
    > be
    > greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Terry

    Hi Terry,

    Please email me at the address in the header of this message and request
    the Epson Cleaning Manual. It's free and you won't be spammed.

    It explains how to resolve these problems, and has a special section
    regarding C and CX printers.

    I strongly suggest against removing the head, or sending pressurized
    cleaning fluids through the heads. Many people have permanently damaged
    their printers in that fashion.

    Art

    anon wrote:

    > I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    > magenta stopped working.
    > I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    > giving me problems.
    > I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    > recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    > work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    > It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    > having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    > and a half).
    >
    > I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    > down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    > would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    > or what?
    >
    > I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    > short while before the printer head burned out.
    > Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
    > greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Terry

    I appreciate the intent of this message, but this information needs to
    be expanded upon.

    I'm not going to go into detail here. If you are needing help with an
    Epson printer, please request my Epson Cleaning Manual via private
    email. It is over 30 pages long, which is why I won't go into detail here.

    Distilled water is not a good solvent for Epson inks, either the dye or
    pigment colorant types. Using pure isopropyl alcohol is also an
    incomplete cleaning solution, but it can be used as a component in the
    formulation of cleaner.

    Head removal is not wise and unnecessary in over 90% of the cases.
    Soaking removed heads can kill them if they are soaked over a certain
    height.

    Art

    Tony wrote:

> [...]
    >>I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    >>recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    >>work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    >>It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    >>having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    >>and a half).
    >>
    >>I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    >>down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    >>would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    >>or what?
    >>
    >>I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    >>short while before the printer head burned out.
    >>Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be

    I only use originals...

    > anon wrote:
    >
    > >I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden
    the
    > >magenta stopped working.
    > >I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    > >giving me problems.
    > >I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    > >recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan
    will
    > >work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    > >It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    > >having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    > >and a half).
    > >
    > >I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer
    head
    > >down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    > >would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm
    water
    > >or what?
    > >
    > >I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    > >short while before the printer head burned out.
    > >Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will
    be
    > >greatly
    > >appreciated.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance
    > >
    > >Terry
    > >

    > Are you and have you always been using Epson genuine OEM ink carts?

    Thank you for that feedback Tony.
    There seem to be so many things that can go wrong - I could end up paying
    out more than the printer is worth to end up with a still malfuntioning
    printer. The only reason I went for the CX5200 in the first place was for
    it's individual inks and scanner quality.

    I have had four failures with different epson printers and this chip of mine
    now says that I have only 50% remaining and I haven't seen so much as a drop
    on paper yet. I cannot see any coming out of the bottom of the printer yet
    so it can only be the Epson chip that is trying to bleed me dry out of
    another 36 UK pounds.
    What with the Epson unreliability, and the expensive ink cartridges, I am
    thinking Epson is a bad buy whatever the model.
    I am now thinking about Canon as some of their models are individual inks,
    and some printers have a seperate ink head which can be replaced.

    Thank you very much for the feedback.

    Terry

    <Tony> wrote in message news:115u3reiokd1ued@news.supernews.com...
> [...]

    > >recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan
    will
    > >work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    > >It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    > >having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    > >and a half).
    > >
    > >I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer
    head
    > >down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    > >would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm
    water
    > >or what?
    > >
    > >I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    > >short while before the printer head burned out.
    > >Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will

    I have a Canon IP4000, the best value in a standard format, and use
    Canon OEM inks with Costco/Kirkland paper or Canon Photo Paper Pro and
    get stunning results with no problems. I cut my own Kirkland paper to
    size using a Fiskars rotary paper cutter obtained at Costco for $29.00.

    Some say that Ilford is the manufacturer of Costco Paper. If there is
    not a Costco nearby you can go to www.costco.com and purchase it there.

    Costco sells the ink carts at $9.00 a cart. While still expensive, it
    is cheaper than any other place I found and much cheaper than Epson carts.

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:11:46 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
    wrote:

    >Hi Terry,
    >
    >Please email me at the address in the header of this message and request
    >the Epson Cleaning Manual. It's free and you won't be spammed.
    >
    >It explains how to resolve these problems, and has a special section
    >regarding C and CX printers.
    >
    >I strongly suggest against removing the head, or sending pressurized
    >cleaning fluids through the heads. Many people have permanently damaged
    >their printers in that fashion.
    >
    >Art
    >
    >anon wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    >> magenta stopped working.
    >> I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    >> giving me problems.
    >> I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    >> recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    >> work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    >> It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    >> having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    >> and a half).
    >>
    >> I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    >> down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    >> would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    >> or what?
    >>
    >> I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    >> short while before the printer head burned out.
    >> Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
    >> greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Terry

    Does Canon make a printer that uses archival ink? I'm really getting
    sick of Epson and the problems with clogged heads; the thing is an ink
    hog. Unfortunately Epson prints are better than most.

    wk wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:11:46 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Terry,
    >>
    >>Please email me at the address in the header of this message and request
    >>the Epson Cleaning Manual. It's free and you won't be spammed.
    >>
    >>It explains how to resolve these problems, and has a special section
    >>regarding C and CX printers.
    >>
    >>I strongly suggest against removing the head, or sending pressurized
    >>cleaning fluids through the heads. Many people have permanently damaged
    >>their printers in that fashion.
    >>
    >>Art
    >>
    >>anon wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an Epson Stylus CX5200 multifunction printer and all of a sudden the
    >>>magenta stopped working.
    >>>I replaced the ink with originals and all of a sudden all the heads are
    >>>giving me problems.
    >>>I have run the head cleaning process a dozen times and also re-seated and
    >>>recharges the catridges, but the nozzle check is very erratic. The Cyan will
    >>>work, then the Yellow and not the cyan, the magenta one is dead.
    >>>It was all fine two weeks ago and it has not been used that much - only
    >>>having printed around 50 A4 photographs in it's life so far (about a year
    >>>and a half).
    >>>
    >>>I am an computer engineer, and am prepared to try and strip the printer head
    >>>down, and wonder if anyone has a code-of-practice or service manual which
    >>>would help. Should I try dismantling the head and soaking it in warm water
    >>>or what?
    >>>
    >>>I once dismantled an Epson stylus 400 and got it to work, but only for a
    >>>short while before the printer head burned out.
    >>>Any useful information regarding print-head overhaul and replacement will be
    >>>greatly
    >>>appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>>Terry
    >>>

    >Does Canon make a printer that uses archival ink? I'm really getting
    >sick of Epson and the problems with clogged heads; the thing is an ink
    >hog. Unfortunately Epson prints are better than most.

    The official answer is that Canon inks used for photography are dye
    based. I hope they get better. In the past 7 months I have not
    experienced any fading. If you do not intend to sell your prints on a
    regular basis I would go with Canon. The R300 series Epson printers do
    not have archival ink either. Only starting with the R800/1800 do they
    use pigmented ink and then you need to know that pigmented ink has a
    higher potential for head clogging.

    While their info is a good start, email Arthur Entlich's for his
    instructions and take his advice. Trying to force cleaning fluid through
    the intake tubes will kill the printer if you damage one of the tubes.
    Also, Arthur's home brew cleaning fluid works as well if not better than the
    MIS fluid (I used MIS fluid and advice first before I did Arthur's routine)
    and costs nothing if you happen to have the right kind of window cleaner and
    some alcohol around the house! The MIS fluid/advice improved the problem,
    but Arthur's really cleaned up my Epson Stylus 900 print head.

    "terry t" <tyamada@wans-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > You might want to check this link out, they have a good way to clean
    > blocked injet nozzles.
    > http://www.inksupply.info/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=9&nav=+%26gt%3B+%3Ca+href%3D%27index.php%3F_a%3Dknowledgebase%26_j%3Dsubcat%26_i%3D1%27%3ETips%2C+Tricks%2C+and+Terms%3C%2Fa%3E
    > 8)

    Burt:

    I used the MIS Injector cleaner in reverse. Instead of forcing
    cleaner through the intake nozzles I applied vacuum with the
    injector.

    It cleared the nozzles and the printer printed about 4 pages and quit,
    probably had a air block. Changed the cartridg and all is well again.

    Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback, especially Arthur Entlich for his
    help which eventually fixed the problem.

    Terry

    I strongly suggest against the procedures in the document referenced
    below, for a number of reasons:

    1) It uses ink unnecessarily (no surprise for an ink vendor to suggest
    that ?)

    2) They are trying to sell you a special liquid, when very inexpensive
    household cleaners will work as well

    3) They suggest injecting the liquid into the heads, the number one
    cause reported to me of damaged and destroyed heads

    4) They don't supply the information necessary to resolve the problem if
    it goes beyond their initial steps

    Instead, I would recommend anyone with an Epson head clog please email
    me for a free manual on cleaning Epson heads.

    There is no cost to you, I neither trade or use your email address for
    any purpose other than to send you the manual.

    Please send me a working email address, the model of your printer, what
    types of inks you are using, and if possible, an explanation of the
    printing problem. If you have done a nozzle test please TELL ME about
    the result.

    Do NOT send me any attachments or images unless I request them of you.

    Please do NOT request the manual via a list or group, I will not respond
    - send me a private mail request.

    It can take up to 48 hours to be sent out depending upon the demand. I
    answer each email personally and manually.

    Art

    terry t wrote:

    > You might want to check this link out, they have a good way to clean
    > blocked injet nozzles.
    > http://www.inksupply.info/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=9&nav=+%26gt%3B+%3Ca+href%3D%27index.php%3F_a%3Dknowledgebase%26_j%3Dsubcat%26_i%3D1%27%3ETips%2C+Tricks%2C+and+Terms%3C%2Fa%3E
    > 8)

    Probably slightly safer, but still opposite of normal cleaning function
    on Epson printers. Normally. vacuum is applied to the head nozzles from
    under the head.

    Art

    terry t wrote:

    > Burt:
    >
    > I used the MIS Injector cleaner in reverse. Instead of forcing
    > cleaner through the intake nozzles I applied vacuum with the
    > injector.
    >
    > It cleared the nozzles and the printer printed about 4 pages and quit,
    > probably had a air block. Changed the cartridg and all is well again.

    Have service manual in 8Mb Pdf format can let you have.

    Davy

Printers Stylus Epson Peripherals