Data recovery cost

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Hey all,

I just had an HD fail, so I sent it in to a lab (ActionFront Data Recovery) to get a quote on the cost of the recovery. According to them, I need a "Hard drive head transplant" and they want to charge me $2700. I've nevery done data recovery, so I was hoping that maybe you guys might know if that were a reasonable price for the operation. Also, maybe you might know some labs that could do it cheaper?

-Kallenin

Chaiser

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I first tried to use Aero but they were unable to recover my data. I heard they use simple methods to recover data. So in some cases you will not be able to get it back. I had them returned the drive to me, and resent it to another data recovery company. Their website: www.micradatarecovery.com, their price for my case was $599.

What was good about them, they only charged me EXACTLY $599, nothing more and before I even paid $599 I was able to see all my files.

Even though I had to send the open hard drive to them, they never charged me any type of "second chance evaluation" fee. In most companies it is $99 or so.

Basically, I was very satisfied, so I would recommend those guys.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
the price for getting these things is pretty stupid imo.

in many ways we have to take peoples word for it when they recommend either software/hardware/services because otherwise everyone would fight at the merest mention of a particular brand.

although digging up that thread from the past and practically cutting and pasting your response wasnt the best idea, does anyone have any reviews of these companies? i know its a rather random thing to review but someone must have done a comparison of the companies out there.