Sign in with
Your question

KN9 SLI wont post with OCZ GOLD 2GB ram

Last response: in Motherboards
June 28, 2006 5:58:24 PM

i recently built a system with KN9 motherboard and x2 3800 (AM2). Whenever i use both the memory sticks, the system wont post. If i use just one stick, everything works perfectly. The memory is not defective because i ran several tests on both. Would this be a compatibilty problem or something else?

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

System:
AM2 X2 3800+ @ stock speed
Abit KN9 SLI motherboard
eVGA 7600GT KO
OCZ Gold ram
ASPIRE 500W PS
June 30, 2006 9:05:46 PM

I have the same problem.
There is a problem with the SPD programming in the OCZ modules on this motherboard. They are optimized for Intel systems and require reprogramming to POST properly on AM2 systems. You'll find that you can POST if you put in another, slower stick along with the OCZ ram.
The K9N MSI board had the same problem, but MSI put out a BIOS update that fixed it. Abit is lagging heavily, anyone know how to report this problem?

If you use a slower stick to get into the BIOS you can manually set the timings, but I can't seem to find a configuration that works at DDR800. Please share if anyone finds one. By the way, I have a platinum kit, not gold.

See my post on the OCZ forums: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21957
July 2, 2006 3:12:24 AM

Thanks dude,
i dont know how much difference this would make but the tras rating for my mem is 12 but the mobo runs it at around 15
this didn't help me get any higher than 667 though.
thanks for the reply. i will check out ur post
Related resources
July 12, 2006 7:20:17 PM

This isn't the first instance of OCZ DDR2 not posting on abit boards that I've found, but I have a question for those of you that might know.

I'm thinking of buying a KN9-SLI and due to $$ constraints am looking at a single core 3800 and 2 gigs of 4-4-4-8 OCZ gold 667 ram. I figure the tighter timings will help me more than the bandwidth will in most cases, but will it post with it?
July 18, 2006 11:23:21 PM

It is a common problem with many mobos. To resolve this problem go to Abit's website and download the latest BIOS update. :D 
July 18, 2006 11:25:05 PM

Also if you're using an AMD AM2 processor I would recommend Corsair XMS2 ram for maximum performance. :D 
August 31, 2006 12:10:13 AM

sorry to dig up this old thread but i finnaly figured out how to get both Sticks to work at DDR800. the memory was running at 1.8 volts, but should be running at 2. this fixed the problem
September 1, 2006 4:10:45 AM

maybe i am more of a noob than i thought but if the board doesnt post- how do u even get into the bios to change any of the memory settings? I am having the problem where both lights on the board come on but nothing displays on the screen. Is that because of the ram as well. i am running ocz platinum too.
July 27, 2010 9:02:47 PM

I'm also having an issue, I was given this board, and it won't post. fans spin, power lights are on, no beep, no posting to bios, not even a smile. It's a computer coma. Any ideas?
October 30, 2012 11:51:44 AM

Janky said:
I have the same problem.
There is a problem with the SPD programming in the OCZ modules on this motherboard. They are optimized for Intel systems and require reprogramming to POST properly on AM2 systems. You'll find that you can POST if you put in another, slower stick along with the OCZ ram.
The K9N MSI board had the same problem, but MSI put out a BIOS update that fixed it. Abit is lagging heavily, anyone know how to report this problem?

If you use a slower stick to get into the BIOS you can manually set the timings, but I can't seem to find a configuration that works at DDR800. Please share if anyone finds one. By the way, I have a platinum kit, not gold.

See my post on the OCZ forums: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21957

In regards to everyone having these issues: I myself have had this issue and OCZ memory isn't a problem but what you need to do for this to work on the Abit kn9 sli board or any computer having this problem is easily fixed by looking at all memory modules you have and what voltage's they run at. If you are doing anything like I am I have 2 sticks that require 1.9 volts and 2 sticks that want 2.10 volts. So what I had to do for all 4 sticks of memory to work was install just one of my 1.9 memory sticks and go into the bios and change the DDR voltage to 2.10 then save that setting in bios and exit bios/cmos and shut down the pc. Then I installed the larger memory sticks into slots 1 & 2 and my smaller 2 strips that are 1 gb per stick into slots 3 & 4 and upon restarting the computer/motherboard worked fine showing all 6 gb's of memory (2gb slot 1, 2gb slot 2, 1gb slot 3, 1gb slot 4). That is the only thing you gotta do is change the DDR voltages to match the highest voltage stick you have. To get into your Abit Bios tap on "Delete" key instantly after turning computer on. If you still have a problem getting into Bios Find the CMOS Jumper to clear the CMOS. It should be towards the bottom of motherboard and have 3 pins. Turn off computer and move Jumper onto pins 2 & 3..wait 15-30 seconds and then move the jumper back to pins 1 & 2. This will reset the BIOS settings back to default but remember when you turn Computer back on start tapping "Delete" so you can set the voltages to satisfy the higher votage memory. Then save and exit bios and everything should boot fine into windows now and show all of your memory if you are running Vista or newer. XP only shows 3 gigs at best even though it really does use what you have beyond 3 gigs of RAM it will only show ya 3 gb's because thats the way Microsoft designed XP and older operating systems. Hope this helps people.
!