Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Request for opinions about ASROCK motherboards

Last response: in Overclocking
June 28, 2006 5:58:46 PM

Hello,

I am planning to buy ASROCK 775i945GZ motherboard as this is the only motherboard available in india which supports CONROE.

http://www.asrock.com/product/775i945GZ.htm

I have not heard much about ASROCK brand.

1. How is the build quality for ASROCK motherboards
2. How is the performance for ASROCK motherboards
3. This is 945G chipset, will it be enough for conroe or conroe will need 965 or 975 chipsets for offering good performance.
4. Should I wait for better motherboards. I am in urgent need to buy a system but want to ensure the upgrade path is there.
5. Another concern is that it only supports DDR2-533.
June 28, 2006 6:38:46 PM

My opinion is that ASROCK boards suck and/or blow and they can fall off the Earth and I will not miss them not ever in 1000000000001 years and if I live that long I will most likely think that ASROCK still sucks and/or blows depending on how I look at it!
Score
Related resources
June 28, 2006 6:53:17 PM

Asrock is the budget line of Asus. It's cheapness comes from the low-quality materials used; however, it's decently put together from what I've heard.
If you can afford a conroe, you can afford a better board. There will be better boards out when conroe comes out - you just have to wait till then.
Score
June 28, 2006 7:50:19 PM

realiable, cheap boards that can overclock but mis a few features.... i owned a few for 5years and didnt have any problems.
Score
June 28, 2006 8:12:46 PM

Stack: I have built several systems around Asrock Mobos and socket 754 & socket 939 AMD cpus. I have had zero trouble with 32bit Windows XP Home or Pro. However I had lots of trouble with Windows Media Centre Edition.

You get a lot of features for a mobo that fits into a ATX mini space and even some overclocking features liek Crashproof Bios.

I have had good luck with Asus & MSI but I find all the companies provide terrible support so you are on your own for the most part. =(

I have had several bad Northbridge fans on Asus boards. ( I just swap it out for a fanless design from Zalman). I have had funny compatibility problems with RAM made by Kingston and MSI boards. (would only run at DD333 speeds even though both claim compatability)

I have great SATA drive detection rate on Asrock...go figure it never needs a F6 driver install (nice).
Score
July 2, 2006 11:15:39 PM

ASRock is a good low end brand.
Score
July 3, 2006 12:29:05 AM

I have built quite a few machines with Asrock boards. They are a cheap budget board that is fine for use in basic web surfing, office duty type machines. I would not use one in a gaming machine.

Cheers,
Scar
Score
July 3, 2006 3:23:54 PM

i have the 939 dual sata 2 with an x2 4800+, havent really sat down and oc'd it yet but the first trial run punched it to 3 ghz with minor instabilities, note that that run was with all stock voltage settings and now real tweaking of my memory

the nice thing about the boards is that since they are kind of low end, they dont have a lot of crap on the mobo that can hinder your oc, and most importantly, the power circuits are VERY easy to figure out for volt modding, which will really help you oc the thing to the nth degree
Score
July 7, 2006 1:52:40 PM

Hi there -

I have the pentium 4 version of your asrock motherboard, can you tell me how to volt mod the board for overlcocking as no one else I know has the knowledge, any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Score
July 7, 2006 3:02:47 PM

Why don't you just "pinmod" the p4? That's what I did on my Asrock 775i65G

To the author: I just starting using my Asrock board, but I must say the quality is top notch. It is a very stable board as well. One thing I've noticed is that Asrock motherboards do not offer vcore adjustment through the bios (not a huge problem as I just pinmod). Also, my Asrock mobo does not offer any power-saving features through the bios either. That means that standby will continue to run the cpu fan. I really hate that. Other than those two drawbacks my Asrock 775i65G board is very nice. I'm using a D 805 2.66 GHz undervolted to 1.125 volts. I also supports Conroe btw, as long as it's revision 2.0 or above (unfortunately I received an old-stock unit, rev1.03). I have Windows MCE 2005 installed on it and haven't ran into a problem yet. I think the reason this Asrock board is so stable is that it's based on Intel's 865 chipset.
Score
July 7, 2006 3:12:10 PM

Thanks for that, do you have any information or a link to a website that could show me how to pinmod the asrock board? thats good news if I can do it on my board. Thanks for the info.
Score
July 8, 2006 8:03:14 AM

This should get you started:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=htt...

I used invisible tape to cover up a couple of the gold "circles" on the back of the cpu to achieve my undervolt (just cut out a VERY small square and stick it on top of the contact), specifically pins VID3 and VID2, resulting in 1.125 volts. To overvolt, some pins may have to "jumpered" instead of isolated. If you use some "liquid solder" stuff, you can connect a low pin to a high pin to make them both low. Using it on the back of the cpu would be the easiest, but would definitely void the warranty and will probably be more or less permanent. Defroster repair stuff may also work, and it is fairly easy to scrape off later.
Score
January 14, 2012 11:58:45 AM

NEVER EVER buy the ASRock motherboards. It sucks.

my personal experience in dualcore motherboard:

Onboard LAN often disconnects, reconnects, atleast 10 times a day.

2 PCI slots available, but one PCI slot not functioning.

I am using FAX modem in another working PCI slot, so I cannot use additional LAN in another PCI slot.
Score

Best solution

January 27, 2012 7:06:29 PM

empirecot said:
NEVER EVER buy the ASRock motherboards. It sucks.

my personal experience in dualcore motherboard:

Onboard LAN often disconnects, reconnects, atleast 10 times a day.

2 PCI slots available, but one PCI slot not functioning.

I am using FAX modem in another working PCI slot, so I cannot use additional LAN in another PCI slot.

Why are you digging up old threads when Asrock has changed a lot about their company in the past 6 years...

Close this please.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2012 12:17:29 AM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2012 12:17:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!