I have 2.5GB of physical RAM yet my PF usage is arnd 1.5GB

muharizj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I'm running a winXP machine with 2.5GB of physical ram.

I run Eclipse, 3 Oracle SIDS each around 200-300 MB each, Tomcat, Firefox, IE, Textpad and a couple of explorer windows.

My total physical memory usage is roughly 1.5GB constantly. occassionaly creeps up to 1.8GB at MAX.

TaskManager always report 800MB - 1GB of free Physical Memory

However, my pagefile usage is ALWAYS over 1GB and mostly at around 1.6-1.7GB. I can clearly here my Hardisk churning away when i switch between apps so i believe there's a lot of Hard Page Faults that occur. I'm confused over this as my PageFile has been set to 1024 Static max and min.

Please help - any suggestions would be highly welcome. I really wanna know what the F is happening here. Why would there be hard page faults when i clearly have enough ram???

muharizj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
yeah the BIOS post shows all the ram aswell as windows shows the ram too. It's my work development computer which is a Dell GX270, wonder whether it has any known issues with having more than 2GB of ram?

sailer

Splendid
yeah the BIOS post shows all the ram aswell as windows shows the ram too. It's my work development computer which is a Dell GX270, wonder whether it has any known issues with having more than 2GB of ram?

I did a search and found that there are a lot of people having problems with Dell GX270's. Refer to: http://www.gripe2ed.co./scoop/story/2005/8/30/0141/79530

It seems that a host of problems have occured, mimicing problems with rams, motherboards, psu's, and other things. You aren't alone in having problems with this computer. Swelling capacitators are one of the things that are noticed. Don't know if any of this applies to your computer in particular, but its something to look at.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I'm running a winXP machine with 2.5GB of physical ram.

I run Eclipse, 3 Oracle SIDS each around 200-300 MB each, Tomcat, Firefox, IE, Textpad and a couple of explorer windows.

My total physical memory usage is roughly 1.5GB constantly. occassionaly creeps up to 1.8GB at MAX.

TaskManager always report 800MB - 1GB of free Physical Memory

However, my pagefile usage is ALWAYS over 1GB and mostly at around 1.6-1.7GB. I can clearly here my Hardisk churning away when i switch between apps so i believe there's a lot of Hard Page Faults that occur. I'm confused over this as my PageFile has been set to 1024 Static max and min.

Please help - any suggestions would be highly welcome. I really wanna know what the F is happening here. Why would there be hard page faults when i clearly have enough ram???
you can add a column in task manager's process list for virtual memory. Just open task manager, processes tab, view menu, select columns. Then you select virtual memory usage and voila. It will surely help you tweak your memory, or even disable it like some said.